Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    65
    Posts
    98
    Thanked: 2

    Cool Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Hello guys and girls :-)

    Looking in detail on track4asafrica maps, i do not see any public campsite in Lower Zambezi NP.

    Do they exist ?
    May you give me some names ?

    If they do not exist, do you think it is possible to camp "any where" discreetly ?

    Thanks from France (you know... the country you beat in rugby champion ship )

    Franck

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    66
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Frank , try Ioverlander app . It may help .

    Mvuu Lodge has campsites available .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    998
    Thanked: 1276

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francky_Frog View Post
    Hello guys and girls :-)

    Looking in detail on track4asafrica maps, i do not see any public campsite in Lower Zambezi NP.

    Do they exist ?
    May you give me some names ?

    If they do not exist, do you think it is possible to camp "any where" discreetly ?

    Thanks from France (you know... the country you beat in rugby champion ship )

    Franck
    I don't think there are any public campsites inside the Lower Zambezi NP. We were there in 2018 and the rangers told us there was a public campsite being built that would open the following year. We went back in 2021, still in 'opening soon' status. I suspect they will either never get there, or not get there for a long time. So you could ask at the gate for an update, but I wouldn't count on it.

    I don't think you'll find any support here for illegally camping inside the park.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vredenburg, West Coast
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,547
    Thanked: 2577

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    I think by "Public" they mean the opposite to "Private" as in run by a lodge. That will mean that the public can book and pay for campsite in this public campsite through the normal booking channels.

    There are no "free" bush camping type campsites in National Parks
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/05/19 at 05:44 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ladybrand
    Age
    61
    Posts
    613
    Thanked: 864

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Just before and along the river there are some basic Bush camps. There are none in the park itself.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2024
    Location
    Heijen
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Just before and along the river there are some basic Bush camps. There are none in the park itself.
    Hi Spliffcat,

    Can you drive through the NP from Mvuu to Kapoche in one day (july)?
    Last edited by Iddo; 2024/05/20 at 08:30 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    65
    Posts
    98
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iddo View Post
    Hi Spliffcat,

    Can you drive through the NP from Mvuu to Kapoche in one day (july)?
    Thanks all.

    Iddo,
    Map Source (pessimistic) tell me that it is a 6hoo trip.

    F
    Last edited by Francky_Frog; 2024/05/20 at 08:56 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    998
    Thanked: 1276

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iddo View Post
    Hi Spliffcat,

    Can you drive through the NP from Mvuu to Kapoche in one day (july)?
    It's an all day afair, but you can do it. I did it in November and the road was in good-ish shape, definitely 4x4 though. We started from Mvuu early, got to the gate when the park opened and made it to bridge camp just after dark. We also did a fair bit of game driving and got stuck in the mud for over an hour. So if you don't do that you'll have plenty of time!
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ladybrand
    Age
    61
    Posts
    613
    Thanked: 864

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iddo View Post
    Hi Spliffcat,

    Can you drive through the NP from Mvuu to Kapoche in one day (july)?
    Yes you can. July will be dry season so no mud holes.
    Just be careful of fast drivers on the gravel road on the corners. Lots of corrugations on the first half of the road. Follow the little roads off the main road towards the river you will find a bushcamp.
    I can't find my GPS points marking the camps and places of interest.
    Enjoy the trip July is one the best months to explore the Lower Zambezi.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2024
    Location
    Heijen
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Public Campsite in Lower Zambezi ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Yes you can. July will be dry season so no mud holes.
    Just be careful of fast drivers on the gravel road on the corners. Lots of corrugations on the first half of the road. Follow the little roads off the main road towards the river you will find a bushcamp.
    I can't find my GPS points marking the camps and places of interest.
    Enjoy the trip July is one the best months to explore the Lower Zambezi.
    Thank you, this has been of great help.
    Last edited by Iddo; 2024/05/21 at 11:01 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •