Default Toyota fortuner 3.0 d4d auto towing

I've tried my best searching on various forums but I'm still looking for an answer that'll put my mind at ease.

My question is what gear do fellow fortuner 3.0d4d auto owners use when towing a 1.6 ton load?

I've planned a trip to KNP, we'll be towing a jurgens explorer for its first trip actually. It's a 800km drive that I plan on doing in 1 day with a few stops at garages along the way for the little one to have a break and stretch legs. And probably to full up!

I've read on forums that when towing, the auto box should be selected in 3rd gear on the Fortuners 4 speed box. I think it's also mentioned in the owners manual. This is as far as I know this is the 1:1 ratio and the torque converter locks up.

But in 3rd gear locked with the rpm at 2500 the vehicle travels at a speed of 90km/h (dash speed). At 100km/h in 3rd the rpm goes up to about 2750 which I feel is a tad high to cruise at for a lenthly time/distance?
    (At least in the manual box in 4th gear you can drive 100km/h at 2500rpm.)

I'd really like to maintain a speed of 100km/h but not in 3rd gear with that high rpm. Is it completely not recommended to use 4th at all, even on flat areas?

I stand to be corrected but, in 4th gear the torque converter also locks up but is an over drive gear. With it locking up wouldn't that help with gear box temps to not rise due to there being no slip on the torque converter?

Are there any negative longterm effects of towing in 4th with these autos?

I have always had mechanical sympathy on my vehicles, if 4th can work then obviously shifting down and reducing speed will happen on hills. I wouldn't want to labour the engine in a higher gear.
    New engine oil and gear box oil is done before and after each big trip, she's an old girl now but still strong! And it's simple enough for me to do.

I know there are certain views on gear selections and just letting the vehicle do what it wants.

So I'd like to know, how do you drive yours when towing?
    Last edited by Brad 55; 2024/05/18 at 09:56 PM.
    Current : 2012 Fortuner Heritage 3.0 d4d 4x4 auto tuned by Eco Software SA and piped.
    Current : 2009 Merc C180
    2nd home : 2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    Ex's : doesn't really matter that's all in the past now.

Default Re: Toyota fortuner 3.0 d4d auto towing

Here's a bit of a discussion:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

D4D Auto

I too tow our Jurgens Xcape with the D4D 3L auto gearbox..
    Select 4 and drive.
    Select 3 when going down hills.
    Pretty much leave the car to select gears.
    Now on 206,000km and no troubles experienced.
    Hope this helps.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavin49 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin49 View Post
    I too tow our Jurgens Xcape with the D4D 3L auto gearbox..
    Select 4 and drive.
    Select 3 when going down hills.
    Pretty much leave the car to select gears.
    Now on 206,000km and no troubles experienced.
    Hope this helps.
    This^^^

Tow in the gear that is a 1:1 ratio.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

I think much of it is a ‘feel’ of the vehicle and how the engine is doing.

Typically, under 100km/h this will be 3rd but once I get to 120 I will shift to Drive.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

I stick to 3rd gear mostly, even though the RPM is a bit high. It’s safer for the gearbox and engine, especially on a long trip like yours. You can try 4th on flat stretches, but be cautious.
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280 DT 4x4
    Intercooler
    2" lift

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebel For This Useful Post:

Towing in 3rd may result in excessive consumption while (overdrive) may result in excessive engine loading as the gear ratio swings the other way.

The Gross Combination Mass is the maximum combined GVM’s of the trailer, or caravan, as well as the towing vehicle.In other words, if your car and the trailer/ caravan you’re towing exceeds 3500 kg, 100 km per hour is your speed limit - even if otherwise indicated on freeways or highways, where the limit is usually set at 120 km/h maximum.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2024/05/19 at 08:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Towing in 3rd may result in excessive consumption while (overdrive) may result in excessive engine loading as the gear ratio swings the other way.

The Gross Combination Mass is the maximum combined GVM’s of the trailer, or caravan, as well as the towing vehicle.In other words, if your car and the trailer/ caravan you’re towing exceeds 3500 kg, 100 km per hour is your speed limit - even if otherwise indicated on freeways or highways, where the limit is usually set at 120 km/h maximum.
    Once again, every day is a school day. I did not know that a combined GVM over 3,500km is a 100kph limit. With my Cheetah in tow I'm over that, so my "slow" average of 110kph is actually illegal. I can't imagine the cops policing it, but technically I'd be outside the law. Food for thought that one, I can imagine some paraat North Coast cop using that on a Friday afternoon, with the threat of a weekend in jail, to bolster his pension (or stomach via KFC).
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2024/05/20 at 07:43 AM.
    "Drink wine from the skulls of your enemies....."

ABKZNNC Oracle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Here's a bit of a discussion:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

D4D Auto

This link was very helpful!

I think having an oil cooler will ultimately give me peace of mind but how many other auto owners are there that just use D and let the vehicle do it's thing?
    Current : 2012 Fortuner Heritage 3.0 d4d 4x4 auto tuned by Eco Software SA and piped.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 55 View Post
    This link was very helpful!

I think having an oil cooler will ultimately give me peace of mind but how many other auto owners are there that just use D and let the vehicle do it's thing?
    I have an oil cooler and it makes a big difference.

Towing in thick sand is no longer an issue, but slow, rough terrain you have to go low range to avoid the light coming on.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dilligafrican For This Useful Post:

I have always applied the following when towing with my fluid coupling autos: If i can maintain a constant speed in top gear so be it. As soon as i have to step "down" on the pedal to maintain speed or up inclines, gear down manually and wait 'till you can "relax" your foot on the pedal as the vehicle picks up speed. As soon as that happens you can shift back to top manually. The idea is not to allow the gearbox to hunt between gears as this increases the transmission temp. Also keep in mind that it should not be your aim to maintain a constant speed on the road iro the terrain. It is normal to loose a bit of speed unless your are towing with a very powerful vehicle. As long as you manage not to let the engine and the gearbox labour you should be fine. The same principle applies driving a 4x4 in deep sand without towing something. That is why we have 4L and many gears to choose from. Other types of "auto" gearboxes such as DSG of CVT may require a different approach.

I've tried my best searching on various forums but I'm still looking for an answer that'll put my mind at ease.

My question is what gear do fellow fortuner 3.0d4d auto owners use when towing a 1.6 ton load?

I've planned a trip to KNP, we'll be towing a jurgens explorer for its first trip actually. It's a 800km drive that I plan on doing in 1 day with a few stops at garages along the way for the little one to have a break and stretch legs. And probably to full up!

I've read on forums that when towing, the auto box should be selected in 3rd gear on the Fortuners 4 speed box. I think it's also mentioned in the owners manual. This is as far as I know this is the 1:1 ratio and the torque converter locks up.

But in 3rd gear locked with the rpm at 2500 the vehicle travels at a speed of 90km/h (dash speed). At 100km/h in 3rd the rpm goes up to about 2750 which I feel is a tad high to cruise at for a lenthly time/distance?
    (At least in the manual box in 4th gear you can drive 100km/h at 2500rpm.)

I'd really like to maintain a speed of 100km/h but not in 3rd gear with that high rpm. Is it completely not recommended to use 4th at all, even on flat areas?

I stand to be corrected but, in 4th gear the torque converter also locks up but is an over drive gear. With it locking up wouldn't that help with gear box temps to not rise due to there being no slip on the torque converter?

Are there any negative longterm effects of towing in 4th with these autos?

I have always had mechanical sympathy on my vehicles, if 4th can work then obviously shifting down and reducing speed will happen on hills. I wouldn't want to labour the engine in a higher gear.
    New engine oil and gear box oil is done before and after each big trip, she's an old girl now but still strong! And it's simple enough for me to do.

I know there are certain views on gear selections and just letting the vehicle do what it wants.

So I'd like to know, how do you drive yours when towing?
    I had a 2008 Manual and towed in 4th (1:1).

So thats no help to you but one thing I never knew is that the D4D Fortuners (and the FJs I think) all have a 1.5 ton max tow rating.

So you might have issues with insurance if something goes wrong and your caravan Gross is over 1.5 ton.

This is one of the reasons I sold mine, as my caravan is 1.8ton gross.

Cheers

Grumbles
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is healthier than Crystal Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    I had a 2008 Manual and towed in 4th (1:1).

So thats no help to you but one thing I never knew is that the D4D Fortuners (and the FJs I think) all have a 1.5 ton max tow rating.

So you might have issues with insurance if something goes wrong and your caravan Gross is over 1.5 ton.

This is one of the reasons I sold mine, as my caravan is 1.8ton gross.

Cheers

Grumbles
    Thanks Grumbles,

After browsing for caravans on and off for about a year my decision for a xplorer was made quickly, being my first caravan then all after thoughts kick in! I was surprised about the tow rating on the fortuner compared to the hilux when I realized this. I don't know what kind of amalgamation can justify the fortuner to have 1000kgs less rating to the hilux.

But I've check with my insurance, they have all the details they need and they've said its fine. They also said I can use any vehicle I'd like.

I've never regreted my decision for the xplorer.

Real gamble I suppose will be at road blocks if I'm stopped.
    Last edited by Brad 55; 2024/05/31 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldi View Post
    I have always applied the following when towing with my fluid coupling autos: If i can maintain a constant speed in top gear so be it. As soon as i have to step "down" on the pedal to maintain speed or up inclines, gear down manually and wait 'till you can "relax" your foot on the pedal as the vehicle picks up speed. As soon as that happens you can shift back to top manually. The idea is not to allow the gearbox to hunt between gears as this increases the transmission temp. Also keep in mind that it should not be your aim to maintain a constant speed on the road iro the terrain. It is normal to loose a bit of speed unless your are towing with a very powerful vehicle. As long as you manage not to let the engine and the gearbox labour you should be fine. The same principle applies driving a 4x4 in deep sand without towing something. That is why we have 4L and many gears to choose from. Other types of "auto" gearboxes such as DSG of CVT may require a different approach.

Definitely similar to how I would drive, I'm learning that my speed will have to vary

Thanks Grumbles,

After browsing for caravans on and off for about a year my decision for a xplorer was made quickly, being my first caravan then all after thoughts kick in! I was surprised about the tow rating on the fortuner compared to the hilux when I realized this. I don't know what kind of amalgamation can justify the fortuner to have 1000kgs less rating to the hilux.

But I've check with my insurance, they have all the details they need and they've said its fine. They also said I can use any vehicle I'd like.

I've never regreted my decision for the xplorer.

Real gamble I suppose will be at road blocks if I'm stopped.
    No problem, and roadblocks wont be an issue. They dont know that limitation and its buried deep in the specs. I have a feeling the limitation has to do with wheelbase, but dont really know why.

All they care about is the Gross Weight/GVM of your caravan as on the disk, vs the TARE of the Fortuner as on the disk.

In this case, Caravan around 1650? And the Fortuner is around 1850 or so?

Weighbridge is another story.

Anyway, happy towing.

Cheers

Grumbles
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is healthier than Crystal Meth!