Thread: Derek de Beer

Default Derek de Beer

I am a widower for going on four years , i recently purchased a Ford Ranger and at the moment busy mounting roof top tent. I am keen to travel the cape west coast up to Namakwaland been looking at tour groups but the cost are too high i was wondering if there is same people out there that feel the same . I am tempted to to do the trip by my self but are a little dubious so my question is can one get together, all cost are our own but have the friendship and travel company just as backup.

Default Re: Derek de Beer

Quote Originally Posted by bigjunior View Post
    I am a widower for going on four years , i recently purchased a Ford Ranger and at the moment busy mounting roof top tent. I am keen to travel the cape west coast up to Namakwaland been looking at tour groups but the cost are too high i was wondering if there is same people out there that feel the same . I am tempted to to do the trip by my self but are a little dubious so my question is can one get together, all cost are our own but have the friendship and travel company just as backup.
    Are you perhaps a Doc?

Easy trip to do on your own, providing you are comfortable with your own company.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

Did a trip over thos past Decmber with family amd in-laws.
    Our biggest mistake was too many places on the itinerary. Basically every day was drive, set up, cook, sleep, pack-up, repeat. We saw so many great places, but we're dog tired by the end of it.

If possible, I'd say do it with company. Many places are stunning, but also best enjoyed with company.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stof-lappie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Are you perhaps a Doc?

Easy trip to do on your own, providing you are comfortable with your own company.
    Die doc het so baie vriende landwyd, dat hy nie n tekort aan vriende vir saam toer het nie.
    Het ook al skill om alleen te doen.

En ek hoop regtig nie die doc is n wewenaar nie.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Reenen, Uys! Ek is ok, my vrou is ok, nee ek het nie ‘n ford gekoop nie! Lyk my ek het naamgenoot op die forum! Lekker om dubbeld te wees!😜

Maar terwyl ek nou hier is kan ek sommer die man se vraag antwoord!

Klim in die Ford en ry! Pak net twee pare onderbroeke en carton Marlboros! Waar jy vaak is, slaap jy! Waar jy honger is eet jy!

Installeer Waze op jou foon! Daai “dame” sal jou laat dink jy is getroud!🤣

Ford assist is great! Hulle sal jou insleep wanneer nodig! Spaar sommer dan op die brandstof ook!😜 Ek het nou hulle nommer vergeet, maar ek is seker dis in die manual!

Weskus is great, mense is great! Net koud in die nag! Laai maar bietjie brand goed ook! Of koop sommer soos jy gaan!

Presopis brand lekker, net nie vir lank nie!

Ek dink dis alles! Geniet dit Derek
    What a life!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quack For This Useful Post:

Hi Derek
    I'm in a similar position I'm single and retired and want to travel. I'm getting a small off road van as I'm a bit old for rooftop tents. My plan is to travel up the west coast then onto Namibia. You don't mention which part of the country you are. I'm in Cape Town

We also do the solo trip thing. don't need to be held up by fellow travelers who want to stop here or there, who run late etc. It is only when you spend time with your close friends do you see the other side. ie late, in the toilet, slow starters etc.

We make more friends camping. Very sociable, say hi, chat, admire their rig, but no hectic social stuff. Go where you want, when you want etc.

if you doing the trailer/tent thing nothing less than 2 nights at a place. If one night then BnB. Too hectic setting up and breaking down even if you think you have it waxed.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

Derek,

Try looking at Live the Journey options. Did Swakopmund to Kunene with them last year - it was awesome. Stayed in Etosha for a few days afterwards to rest - was lekker!

ALternatively, rent my huisie by die see in Henties Bay for a week or two, stunning location, prices very reasonable. To get to the Myl 50 pub on foot from my Huisie by die see, you have to walk past the kerk BUT the deal is, Dominee will pny stop ypu on Sundays.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Billy of Arabia

Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2
    LandRover Defender 2.8i (Sold)

Boplaas Guest Cottages in Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) www.diehel.co.za or email: [email protected]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Billy of Arabia For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Derek de Beer

Hi Derek
    i want to travel but I'm on my own like you
    i believe your in the Cape Town are maybe we could meet and discuss about traveling together

Quote Originally Posted by Desertman333 View Post
    Hi Derek
    i want to travel but I'm on my own like you
    i believe your in the Cape Town are maybe we could meet and discuss about traveling together
    Derek's stats in the top right of his post states he is from Croydon, which is in Ekurhuleni (Kempton Park) in Gauteng.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/05/26 at 10:46 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by Desertman333 View Post
    Hi Derek
    I'm in a similar position I'm single and retired and want to travel. I'm getting a small off road van as I'm a bit old for rooftop tents. My plan is to travel up the west coast then onto Namibia. You don't mention which part of the country you are. I'm in Cape Town
    Same story here, also in Melkbos, Landcruiser 80 since new, know Kaokoveld well, but finding the long drive tiresome. Resolved to spend more time Richterveld, Tankwa, Namaqaland.

Smile Re: Derek de Beer

Quote Originally Posted by bucklesandrings View Post
    Same story here, also in Melkbos, Landcruiser 80 since new, know Kaokoveld well, but finding the long drive tiresome. Resolved to spend more time Richterveld, Tankwa, Namaqaland.
    Seems like there's quite a few in the same or similar situation.
    I also enjoy camping - and try to get away at least once a year - solo towing/putting up camp etc. From what I can see......I am actually older than you guys.......
    Question? Why do other campers look at a solo elderly female who is putting up camp/reversing van etc with utter astonishment??