Default SANS forms 2/4 and solar pv geyser

If you want to add a solar pv geyser in Cape Town you need a SANS2 and 4 form filled out by a "competent person".
    For solar thermal geysers you just need a plumbers letter. I am exploring the idea of prefeeding a gas geyser with an Elon100 system. Where do I find someone to sign these forms though, the only electrical engineer i know who signs off most of Cape Towns PV installs doesn't do geyser PV systems.

The building inspector is adamant i need these forms even if i run the elon 100 in offgrid configuration which would obviously make it 100% energy efficient

Default Re: SANS forms 2/4 and solar pv geyser

This is easy to do. Fill out and submit their "Application for the installation of embedded generation" and right at the end it has a section for PV water heating.
    I hope that you aren't in a hurry for the approval certificate (PTI)...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    This is easy to do. Fill out and submit their "Application for the installation of embedded generation" and right at the end it has a section for PV water heating.
    I hope that you aren't in a hurry for the approval certificate (PTI)...
    You first need a geyser to add PV to, and you cannot just legally add a geyser without submitting plans, and they won't approve the plans unless they are compliant with the building regs which don't recognise PV for geysers and you can't do a standalone geyser anymore, hence needing extra forms and signoffs and rational designs etc
    Last edited by leeza; 2024/05/18 at 01:47 PM.

The revised plans for my house only mentions a geyser: HOT WATER SUPPLY - in terms of SANS XA2 and SANS XA4.1
    Is this what you mean by geysers being on the plans?

Correct, and if you want to add a second geyser of any sort you need to submit a "plan" for it and get the Chief Water Inspector to sign off on it.
    The forms are somewhere on the web.

So my plans say gas, if I want to add a hot water cylinder to prefeed it, it needs to be Sans whatever compliant, and a solar pv solution is not "deemed to satisfy" unlike say a solar thermal solution or heat pump, and requires a rational design and extra sign offs.

This is simply because the building regulations don't recognise solar pv for water heating
    Last edited by leeza; 2024/05/18 at 09:07 PM.

Talking to solar installers they say that they go ahead with installations that they know will be approved and don't wait for that approval first..
    When I ask the important question of what your insurance company does when the house burns down they send the assessor and he does some forensic investigation of what's left to see if the installation was legit..
    Last edited by Richard Mackay; 2024/05/19 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leeza View Post
    You first need a geyser to add PV to, and you cannot just legally add a geyser without submitting plans, and they won't approve the plans unless they are compliant with the building regs which don't recognise PV for geysers and you can't do a standalone geyser anymore, hence needing extra forms and signoffs and rational designs etc
    I'm extending ... plans approved and all. But there is no geyser, although there is a "toilet + hand basin". I bought a 2nd hand 100l geyser.

Because of this thread, there is NO WAY I'm adjusting the plans for a solar geyser, forget it. Even if we have 5kw panels on the roof.

Think I'm going to go this way: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ave-experience
    Noting what Plunger said re "30 liter Ariston".
    Going to go with the Kwikot Prisma range, for shower/basin and kitchen.

I'm done managing geysers! EDIT: We have 3 on the property already, 2 of the 3 are managed by the Victron Cerbo, 3rd one is a 50l geyser, always on.
    And not lus for gas either.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2024/05/19 at 02:15 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!