Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ford LION V6 disappoints...again (not the crank this time)

The previous gen that Petri sold for a steal is more and more looking like the bargain of the century for VW fans

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

Iím happy I bought this when I did. I think VW, like MB, will soon realise their mistake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	722467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	722468  

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Seems Audi is keen to fill the VW space. Amarok Gen1 is still available in Argentina. Maybe they will sell us some right-hand ones. My Gen 1 comes from Argentina.

It is clear that we don't have the inside info on how the joint venture decided on a diesel engine for the new Ranger and Amarok.

It you are totally unbiased and the histories of the two engines are put on on the table, it should have been a no-brainer to opt for the VAG engine.

The Ranger should have had the better engine too.
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    It is clear that we don't have the inside info on how the joint venture decided on a diesel engine for the new Ranger and Amarok.

It you are totally unbiased and the histories of the two engines are put on on the table, it should have been a no-brainer to opt for the VAG engine.

What is very clear, is they made the wrong decision and it will cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post

As mentioned we don't know why the decision was made, my speculation would be 2 fold, VW wanting to not invest in diesel engines any more (who knows how much diesel gate features into that), and VW not being super invested in the Amarok as it just wasn't selling well enough for their liking. I have said it before and will say it again, I suspect the Amarok will die out with this current model, it will sell worse than the previous gen and will get discontinued after the production run is over.

I really hope I am wrong as I think the Amarok is a clear winner in the bakkie category, and that VW will offer an all new Amarok in the future, but my hopes are low... Last of the previous gen V6 TDi is the one to have and I suspect they will lose very little value, or perhaps even appreciate a bit.

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    As mentioned we don't know why the decision was made, my speculation would be 2 fold, VW wanting to not invest in diesel engines any more (who knows how much diesel gate features into that), and VW not being super invested in the Amarok as it just wasn't selling well enough for their liking. I have said it before and will say it again, I suspect the Amarok will die out with this current model, it will sell worse than the previous gen and will get discontinued after the production run is over.

I really hope I am wrong as I think the Amarok is a clear winner in the bakkie category, and that VW will offer an all new Amarok in the future, but my hopes are low... Last of the previous gen V6 TDi is the one to have and I suspect they will lose very little value, or perhaps even appreciate a bit.
    I agree, I think this Amaford will be the last nail in the coffin. VW wonít make a 100% VW Amarok again and the Amaford seems to be a failure so far, so they probably wonít continue with it after a year or three.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Seems Audi is keen to fill the VW space. Amarok Gen1 is still available in Argentina. Maybe they will sell us some right-hand ones. My Gen 1 comes from Argentina.
    It's been given a facelift recently. Argentina knows what's up, they didn't fall into the trap like everyone else.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    I agree, I think this Amaford will be the last nail in the coffin. VW wonít make a 100% VW Amarok again and the Amaford seems to be a failure so far, so they probably wonít continue with it after a year or three.
    Sales figures in Aus and SA say otherwise.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Here we go again!!!
    The critics are rejoicing...

Car manufacturers should really only appoint the "famous experts" from this forum...
    2023 Ranger 2.0 XL 4X4 Auto D/Cab
    2018 Polo Vivo
    1994 Isuzu KB250D
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ha-Ka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ha-Ka View Post
    Here we go again!!!

Car manufacturers should really only appoint the "famous experts" from this forum...

I am a critic.

I am not rejoicing.

I was really hoping Ford would make a reliable V6 D/cab, as that would have been my next car. Safe to say that will not happen now. Even though it is still early days and not a lot of break downs, issues like this is not for me.
    2022 Amarok V6

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Here we go again!!!

Yes. I am an expert. I got stranded with no signal.

Convince me otherwise
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Yes. I am an expert. I got stranded with no signal.

Convince me otherwise
    I've noted how frustrated you are with your ordeal. One thing I will say, is we have different definitions of stranded.

You got home and it wasn't the Amafords fault you didn't have signal.

Enjoy your cruiser 😃
    Mike

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Here we go again!!!

Agreed.

They really should. A lot of feedback on this forum comes from real-life experience where the heel hits the tar. Not some lab produced outcome.

When failures starts surfacing like what is happening now with the V6 Ford/Amarok - it makes one take note. Its not about brand, never will be, its all about an inherent poor design.

If it was about brands, I would say please show me the number of failures on a 3L Isuzu or D4D V8 Cruiser engine. If you search long & hard enough you may find something. But with this Ford motor it is now popping up quite a bit.

I may or may not be shopping for new wheels soon. Still deciding. The appeal of a V6 diesel is huge. But I do not need to read anything more - I will not touch the V6 Ford / Amarok. For the same reason I will never touch a Discovery.

Why spend money on anything where reliability is suspect - when there are many options where it is not.

Simple maths really.
    Jaco Nell

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Here we go again!!!

Very ill informed and inflammatory post really. The issues with the Lion engine are well know and documneted and have been since before the new Ford/VW was even a twinkle in the respective companies eye. When the plans that the Lion motor would be used came to light people started making their fears know. What makes this even worse is that VW has access to a fantastic equivalent motor that could have just as easily been chosen (all things considered), but it wasn't.

So no, I don't think anyone is rejoicing, infact if you actually read the posts about half of them are lamenting the demise of the much loved Amarok, which will surely be killed off by this ilfated joint venture. The other half of the posts (roughly speaking), are just stating the facts...

Enjoy your new Ranger, the 2.0 should treat you quite well and shouldn't be more problematic than the outgoing version.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Here we go again!!!

I'm not a fan of the Ford, not since a Ford let me down badly years ago, but definitely not rejoicing. Two reasons.

First, the surge in Ford numbers take the pressure of the appropriation of my chosen brand.

Second, competition for the buyer brings innovation. Dominance means complacency, so stern competition is good for everyone.

That said, I still can't fathom why the Amarok hasn't made more inroads. I managed the project for a large dealer chain before the Amarok arrived, to get their Dealer Management System ready for the integration for sales, service that VWAG insisted had to be 100% before any chain was allowed to sell them. The Germans..."only vant to hear vun KLIK", so to me boded well for the vehicle. It's weird. It's not as if the Ranger, Hilux and Sooz DC sales are all to hardcore bakkie owners, I'd have thought they'd have done much better.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2024/05/18 at 05:26 AM.
    "Drink wine from the skulls of your enemies....."

ABKZNNC Oracle

Enjoy your new Ranger, the 2.0 should treat you quite well and shouldn't be more problematic than the outgoing version.
    So how problematic was the outgoing 2.0?
    2021 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS Auto

Quote Originally Posted by nieljooste View Post
    So how problematic was the outgoing 2.0?
    As far as I can tell not very actually. Certainly not completely problem free, but not nearly problematic enough to steer clear completely.

Am I detecting some sarcasm in your comment, or is it just the early morning Saturday playing with my head? 🙂

As far as I can tell not very actually. Certainly not completely problem free, but not nearly problematic enough to steer clear completely.

Am I detecting some sarcasm in your comment, or is it just the early morning Saturday playing with my head?
    It sounded like you said it is a problematic engine, something I'm not aware of, so genuinely want to know.

As far as I am aware it's a brilliant engine and has proven reliable in the T6, and so far also in the new Gen, even in Aus where it's been for a while now. I obviously understood you wrong.
    2021 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS Auto

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nieljooste For This Useful Post:

For all the VW fans me included and love my Amaroks i for one as others stated cant believe how stupid VAG Group couldve been to let this engine fly the chequered flag in their products? Why not go for an reliable proven engine with no LION pedigree in it for once and for all..surely there was engines similar and more reliable than that LION gamble if they really want to go for a newer engine.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The TRANSPORTER For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast