Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ford LION V6 disappoints...again (not the crank this time)

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    Not sure about this part, I personally know of another VW with less than 20,000km in MP.
    They are all Fords.
    VW Amarok V6 DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobus80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Millions of those went into F150s in the States and have proven to be reliable.
    No, They didn't. Looks like barely 30000 that sold. Was only available for 3 years. And was cancelled in '21 due to too low demand.

Heck, The Diesel Transit Van, That was also cancelled due to too low demand actually outsold the F150 . . . .

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre N For This Useful Post:

Not sure about this part, I personally know of another VW with less than 20,000km in MP.
    Same same.

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Not the same engine but the Ford engines in the LR Puma gave me all my hell. Had 2 both overheated. We farm out of tupperware now.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Same same.
    I know, just meant the one with the vw badge, did'nt want to step on the vw guys' toes.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Andre N View Post
    No, They didn't. Looks like barely 30000 that sold. Was only available for 3 years. And was cancelled in '21 due to too low demand.

Heck, The Diesel Transit Van, That was also cancelled due to too low demand actually outsold the F150 . . . .

Yes as i have it the 3.0 Powerstroke engine was used in the F150's and was cancelled due to the most customers preferred the 3.0 V6 Ecoboost petrol engine above the diesel.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

I have read about and followed the the Ford decision to use the LION engine in the Ranger. The upgrades done on the crank and bottom end. They did some testing on the engine in the States and Ford were satisfied with the results. Looking back it seems that their test criteria might not be up to the standard of other manufacturers.

Now back to Volkswagen. Easy to point fingers to Ford and say that the Ford engine is not reliable. Surely from their side Volkswagen must have do some testing on the V6 LION engine before deciding it were fit for use in their products. I cannot believe that the decided blindly just to stick a VW badge on a Ranger.

Not nice reading these things about Ford engines as I were a huge Ford supporter at some stage. The Ford vehicles I have owned and still owns served me well.
    Last edited by grips; 2024/05/17 at 11:24 AM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Well, this was the feedback given to my friend by FOMOCO. I can imagine that they may be tempted to "massage" the numbers to prevent buyers remorse and future lost sales...

Groetnis

Koos
    2013 Amarok 4 motion manual DC (The workhorse)
    2020 V6 Amarok (The underrated and underestimated Plaas Passat)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre N View Post

I was going to reply the same. The LION V6 in the F150 series was actually regarded as a failure in the US market.

Groetnis

Koos

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have read about and followed the the Ford decision to use the LION engine in the Ranger. The upgrades done on the crank and bottom end. They did some testing on the engine in the States and Ford were satisfied with the results. Looking back it seems that their test criteria might not be up to the standard of other manufacturers.

Now back to Volkswagen. Easy to point fingers to Ford and say that the Ford engine is not reliable. Surely from their side Volkswagen must have do some testing on the V6 LION engine before deciding it were fit for use in their products. I cannot believe that the decided blindly just to stick a VW badge on a Ranger.

Not nice reading these things about Ford engines as I were a huge Ford supporter at some stage. The Ford vehicles I have owned and still owns served me well.
    Grips, the way I read it VW did not want to spend money on the R&D for a new Amarok. This was exactly the reason they went with the so called "combined" development. In reality all the testing was done by Ford and VW trusted them to do it. The few VW engineers was only involved in the aesthetics as far as I know. In my opinion it is a poor effort in badge engineering. The quality control at Ford was an issue, and seems to be still the case. The local VW techies see the new Amarok as a 100% Ford product and treat it accordingly. When things goes wrong they blame Ford, rightly or wrongly.

Groetnis

Koos

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Grips, as far as I know, VW had zero input regarding to the design and layout of the Amarok. They got give a chassis, engine, gearbox and electronics.

They did have some input on the production line and quality controls at the factory. They also could design the interior and exterior look, so as to conform to other VW products.

They were basically handed a product,and had to accept it.

Edit: Never mind, I see Beurvoort basically said the same.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2024/05/17 at 12:23 PM.
    2022 Amarok V6

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Whatever, surely VW still had to or should have had an assessment of the quality etc of the product at hand to decide to go with Ford. And clearly they must have been happy. Or maybe it was a case again of the bean counters overruling the engineers!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

All I can say is EINA EINA, obviously no "Lion" in those engines but factory cats.

Sticking with my GEN1.

The 2.2, 3.2, and the Lion engines aren't Ford's greatest moments.

That being said, I'm on my third company 2.2 Ranger, with the current one over 180,000km without missing a beat, and it works and tows hard, 3tons and more on a regular basis. We have a couple, and they all work hard. The one 3.2 just received it's first new turbo at 410k km. The 2.2's other than mine all over 300k, we haven't lost an engine yet.

I however do not have my head in the sand, and would never recommend either the 3.2 or 2.2 to anyone, or buy it for myself. I just cannot afford to foot the bill of an catastrophic failure, and there are no guarantees.

The 2Ltr milk bottle, single and biturbo from Ford, with the various gearbox configurations seems to have proven itself in the T6, and I don't see/hear of any issues on the next Gen either, and will happily buy one of them.

It seems the 2Ltr in any configuration is the way to go with the current Ranger and Amarok range.

The verdict is still out on the new upgraded Lion engine, but it is not starting well it seems.
    2021 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS Auto

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieljooste For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=nieljooste;5235363]It seems the 2Ltr in any configuration is the way to go with the current Ranger and Amarok range./QUOTE]

For the same reasons I won`t touch a new generation Ford vehicle with a diesel engine I won`t touch a 2.0l Amarok or Kombi (We did own a 2.0l Kombi some time back). I know there are 2.0l VW engines that gave excellent service with very high milage. The other side of the coin is that I know quite a few people that had very expensive failures on them.

VW have just increased their warranty to 5 years/160 000km's....and a full MP and not the easy MP. I don't know what the difference is.

I am sitting with a quote for the 2.0 and 3.0.....mmmmm. The 3.0 just feels soooo good.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Eish.

Family friend bought a an Everest Platinum V6 and an Amarok Style V6 in 2023.

This does not bode well.
    Current: Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic

SWAMBO: 2020 Renault Koleos 2.5 Dynamique

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    VW have just increased their warranty to 5 years/160 000km's....and a full MP and not the easy MP. I don't know what the difference is.

I am sitting with a quote for the 2.0 and 3.0.....mmmmm. The 3.0 just feels soooo good.
    That sounds good.

If you are prepared / willing to possible suffer breakdowns and the discomfort of not having your car, then go for it.

The only possible negative would be lower resale value down the line due to bad reputation wrt reliability.
    2022 Amarok V6

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Some wise man once said never to buy a genesis brand new model in its first year of production.

Second and third year model run is always better as any design manufacture niggles would have been corrected by then.

Karol Life = Σ(Choices)
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post

All I will say is donít. Rather get the previous version V6
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast