Default Kombi towing Bushlapa Baobab 4

Hi

I would like to know if anyone has towed a Baobab 4 with a standard Kombi 2x4. The Kombi has the (standard?) removable gooseneck towbar. Apart from the mud flaps which will be on the ground, how does the Kombi perform as it is front wheel drive? Is there a solution to increase the tow ball height ?

TIA

Default Re: Kombi towing Bushlapa Baobab 4

Hi Sarelsee,

I have friends that have towed extensively with their Kombi biturbo 4motion so cannot comment on the front wheel drive aspect.

They tow a Ratel which perhaps slightly heavier than the Boabab and powerwise they dont struggle - their Kombi is always packed to the hilt. One recommendation is to look at the back suspension of your Kombi. The Ratel (and probably the boabab too) sits higher than the towball which exacerbates the already heavy nose weight of the caravan. Subsequently they sit with quite an acute nose down angle on their caravan. Check your vehicle specs in regards to max towball weight - most vehicles in the region of a 100kg which is not enough for an offroad caravan.

Look at a suspension upgrade because if you exceed the limit of the towball weight you have a chance of bottoming out and damaging your vehicle and van. Perhaps look at air helper springs?
    Last edited by Conrady; 2024/05/21 at 10:50 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Conrady For This Useful Post:

I tow an Xplorer with a Kombi/Transporter

It is a 4 motion version, but I do not think a 2wd version will struggle on normal tar roads. Mine is the 132kw 2.0 diesel version so might have more power than some other versions, but most of the 2.0l diesel versions tow well.

I have a normal towbar and have it on its highest setting so the Xplorer does not sit too much nose down. Also I have slightly stiffer rear coils to handle extra weight, but I towed same setup with it before the coil upgrade and it still worked fine, just looked a bit bum in the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20211107-WA0022.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	722780
    CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

I tow a companion with my kombi 103kW (fixed gooseneck) no issues, actually tows it better than my Hilux...will be towing three weeks through Kruger in June.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark_1000 For This Useful Post: