Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: On the subject of insurance - cannot get my head around this..

Ah crap...I typed a long reply, then the internet ate it.

I've sent you an e-mail - give me holler if you want to chat - I deal with both the insurer in question, and their service providers, and have done for many years.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Imvubu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Eish Conspiracy theory 101.

There are literally millions of records with insurance companies that contain detail lists of households with goods per room.

You don't need a list of what's in a house to ransack it. In a general sense all houses in a given neighbourhood occupied by people of a similar LSM with have a similar list of loot to lift.

You are going to get more loot out of a house in Rivonia than a shack in Alexandra.
    My first job was in IT for a large insurer. Claims department, man, they could tell stories, backed by real data, of what people say vs what is actually going on ... in "Rivonia". Alexandria, mote realistic "truths".

People get silly with their understanding of insurance, and how it actually works.

Having worked my entire career in IT for insurers/brokers/software/claims data, having a family member, and his buds, writing the books that govern SA insurance legislation, oen sees a whole new picture.

Life and short term.

Just prove what you have, really, and don't "pad" it. Be truthful. Insurers/brokers have seen it all.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    Ah crap...I typed a long reply, then the internet ate it.

I've sent you an e-mail - give me holler if you want to chat - I deal with both the insurer in question, and their service providers, and have done for many years.
    I've gotten into the habit of 'copying' any long posts made on fakebook, these forums, wherever, right before clicking submit. Because yes, the internet will sometimes eat it. I then just 'paste' what I wrote into a new post, if necessary.

But about insurers wanting to come and see and document what you want to insure. Don't they tell you they will need to do this up front when you first sign with them? Random phone calls out of the blue would smell very fishy to me, especially in South Africa of all places. But ok, if it is legit and they really must, they might want to try another approach considering who their clients are; already very suspicious South Africans, and they can 200% guarantee that that data will never get appropriated...because to date no website/database on the internet has ever been hacked...

On the other hand, last time I checked, SARS seems to trust you will just declare everything you are supposed to. Why can't insurance companies operate the same way? Do they really think the average Saffa is just going to let some random person into their house to make a list of all that's in it? Sorry for the graphic statement, but that is a hacker's/thief's wet dream.

A few years ago ABSA got a mouth full and a firm email when they randomly called me to 'verify' a large transaction and threatened to freeze my account if I didn't comply. A call I wasn't at all expecting. I told them I would call them back, on a number I knew to be theirs. Turns out it was their anti-fraud dept, but I made it very clear they need to try another approach and to not randomly call their clients asking for the details they did. But, I never gave them the info they wanted, and they never froze my account.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2024/05/15 at 11:17 PM.
    Naes is Sean backwards, and it sounds like 'nice', so I drive a nice Landy.

In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone.

Raise your kids with a Landrover addiction. That way, they won't have any money left for a drug addiction.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Thank you all, Imvubu I have read your email, 2.30am, when on earth is my sleeping habit going to improve…

I am probably repeating myself, I’m tired and the only one getting some proper shuteye this morning is Max Verstaffie so this might seem like a bit of a waffle which I’ll probably review in a few hours time wondering what the hell I wrote, and why…

I absolutely fully understand the risk of under insurance in the event of theft and in that, the reason why insurance companies want a fairly detailed inventory of your goods in order to confirm your cover is adequate, which should really read ‘in order to ensure they are charging you enough’ - yes, conspiracy theory 2… I agree I’ve yet to see poor insurance companies, their success is dotted all over the most opulent business hubs in SA in the shape of expensive real estate…

I also understand that Alex versus Rivonia reflects a different household inventory landscape, probably including temporary storage facilities housing my previously stolen goods until such time that they can move on, but then that is probably being disrespectful to the majority of Alex dwellers by painting a picture that can be considered as conspiracy theory number 3.. Fluffy I’m genuinely not being argumentative or sarcy with you here, just adding a bit of colour to my reply given previous posts, I hugely respect you and many of the member here and truly got no bones to pick other than with my insurers at the situation as presented..

The fact remains that I trust badly, very very badly. I cannot bring myself to simply open my door to a stranger allowing them into my personal space to take photos of my goods..
    It’s one thing an insurance company having a list, it’s another thing having a picture of everything you own (to a degree) being in the hands of an individual, note I’m not talking about the data being held by a corporation, it’s the individual that I’m having an issue with, who ensures that his/her personal intentions are good and ethical with my data.. Imagine he /she is incentivised to ‘look’ for specific items.. the pure thought of the action of photo’s being taken is absolutely absurd, especially considering our crime stats..

So let’s look at this from a different angle, call it conspiracy theory number 4.. part of my business cover ensures my electronic data from loss, not equipment, the data itself.. this data has tremendous value to me, and as such, forgetting about backups etc etc, will be insured accordingly.. Will time come when the insurer will insist on ‘seeing’ this data in order to cover for it.. would you hand it over..?. yes I know it’s a little way over the top, but the point stands, would you hand it over if this became a request..

I have some goods which are old, have no realistic value in the general scheme of things, but then could have great value to a very very small sector of interested parties, goods that would probably make very little sense to many, but a lot of sense to some… it’s in that, that feelers are out there, tentacles if you wish, and then cameraman comes along.. not the insurance company and their years of imposed trust and ethics and guarantees, it’s cameraman, and he has a very very detailed illuminated inventory list including your property in terms of your home itself, not the insurance company, cameraman..

My FIL was murdered alone in his home three years ago to the day. Thief made his way through the back door while he was asleep.. the resultant crime scene reflects that my FIL was woken, dragged around the house where few specific items were taken after which he was clubbed to death, 82 years of age, frail to the core.. wonder if he had previously opened the door allowing his insurance to snapshot items of interest, guess we will never know…

In South Africa, would you really open your door to a complete stranger wielding a camera, a tie and a pair of zero magnification glasses..??
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2024/05/16 at 03:44 AM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

My wife says I am not qualified enough to express an opinion..

I have an App called ‘Encircle’. https://www.getencircle.com

You setup your house or office, room per room, with pics and asset list, prices, etc, and in the end it outputs a report that you can share with insurance. Quite handy.

I recommend that everybody asks their broker IN WRITING what are the current practice and rules by the underwriter when there is a break in. What do they require as a proof of ownership etc. That answer must be IN WRITING. Brokers know that giving wrong info they become liable. This asking writing resulted us having the valuations.

Insurance companies have in their policy documents rules. With some of those they have been quite relaxed and have for instance taken person's word that they had this or that. No more most of them. Like in our case inventory list with photos not enough. In an other case close family Santam refused to pay as the partial picture was not enough.

Directly insured - can be a major problem.

Also read the policy document. That is not the limited page paper they normally give. My content policy paper is about 250 pages. Company policy document is 177 pages PLUS 53 pages that they give when the policy is taken. The full wording you specially have to ask.

In the policy read carefully when your alarm must be on. There are very many rules and you have to comply with all of them BUT in those fully policy documents there are magic benefits. We have road site assistance towing over 1000 km, house conversion to wheelchair friendly as is also the car conversion...

I have had South African policies nearly 40 years. Historically:
    - I gave a content value
    - I had inventory with costs
    - I had photographs
    - I have to have invoices for everything
    - I have the valuation

That is how it has tightened. Underwriter: Santam and now Santam/Hollard on the main house. Cottage is by company that specializes on thatch roof houses and then profeccional indemnity insurance.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Thank you all, Imvubu I have read your email, 2.30am, when on earth is my sleeping habit going to improve…

I am probably repeating myself, I’m tired and the only one getting some proper shuteye this morning is Max Verstaffie so this might seem like a bit of a waffle which I’ll probably review in a few hours time wondering what the hell I wrote, and why…

I absolutely fully understand the risk of under insurance in the event of theft and in that, the reason why insurance companies want a fairly detailed inventory of your goods in order to confirm your cover is adequate, which should really read ‘in order to ensure they are charging you enough’ - yes, conspiracy theory 2… I agree I’ve yet to see poor insurance companies, their success is dotted all over the most opulent business hubs in SA in the shape of expensive real estate…

I also understand that Alex versus Rivonia reflects a different household inventory landscape, probably including temporary storage facilities housing my previously stolen goods until such time that they can move on, but then that is probably being disrespectful to the majority of Alex dwellers by painting a picture that can be considered as conspiracy theory number 3.. Fluffy I’m genuinely not being argumentative or sarcy with you here, just adding a bit of colour to my reply given previous posts, I hugely respect you and many of the member here and truly got no bones to pick other than with my insurers at the situation as presented..

The fact remains that I trust badly, very very badly. I cannot bring myself to simply open my door to a stranger allowing them into my personal space to take photos of my goods..
    It’s one thing an insurance company having a list, it’s another thing having a picture of everything you own (to a degree) being in the hands of an individual, note I’m not talking about the data being held by a corporation, it’s the individual that I’m having an issue with, who ensures that his/her personal intentions are good and ethical with my data.. Imagine he /she is incentivised to ‘look’ for specific items.. the pure thought of the action of photo’s being taken is absolutely absurd, especially considering our crime stats..

So let’s look at this from a different angle, call it conspiracy theory number 4.. part of my business cover ensures my electronic data from loss, not equipment, the data itself.. this data has tremendous value to me, and as such, forgetting about backups etc etc, will be insured accordingly.. Will time come when the insurer will insist on ‘seeing’ this data in order to cover for it.. would you hand it over..?. yes I know it’s a little way over the top, but the point stands, would you hand it over if this became a request..

I have some goods which are old, have no realistic value in the general scheme of things, but then could have great value to a very very small sector of interested parties, goods that would probably make very little sense to many, but a lot of sense to some… it’s in that, that feelers are out there, tentacles if you wish, and then cameraman comes along.. not the insurance company and their years of imposed trust and ethics and guarantees, it’s cameraman, and he has a very very detailed illuminated inventory list including your property in terms of your home itself, not the insurance company, cameraman..

My FIL was murdered alone in his home three years ago to the day. Thief made his way through the back door while he was asleep.. the resultant crime scene reflects that my FIL was woken, dragged around the house where few specific items were taken after which he was clubbed to death, 82 years of age, frail to the core.. wonder if he had previously opened the door allowing his insurance to snapshot items of interest, guess we will never know…

In South Africa, would you really open your door to a complete stranger wielding a camera, a tie and a pair of zero magnification glasses..??
    I'm with you.

I won't allow some person into my house armed with a camera to take photos of my belongings.

These days we cannot even trust law enforcement anymore. Nevermind some "agent" that they could have picked up from the street to take photos.

No thanks.

Hence why I HATE having strangers in my yard. I cringe if I need something repaired or installed in my house. Prying eyes all over my stuff.

Call my crazy or whatever, but these days one cannot trust ANYONE.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2