Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 3 KVA Inverter with Batteries - ADVISE PLS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Not necessarily better but longer as you would as a minimum typically store 5kWh in a typical 48V (52V) 100 AH battery.
    To calculate the load of your system (and this is an example, see if you can find your actual equipment figures and use actual quantities of each type)
    • Printer 100W x 2 = 200W (when working but lets assume they are, Printers consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Laptop 80W x 3 = 240W (when active but lets assume they are, Laptops consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Lights per LED tube say 10W x 40 = 400W
    • and so forth for other loads

Add the lot = 840W (this is still far inside the capacity of your 3kVa inverter)
    Say you have 5kWh battery (typical 48/52V 100Ah battery)
    Most batteries stop at 10% SOC so you will typically have 4.5kWh available, but you will also have some inverter losses, so lets say you can get 4000Wh to the equipment from a full battery charge.
    That will then be good for 4000/840 = 4.75 hrs minimum.
    If you are sure your load is low (and will remain low), rather invest in extra battery capacity than in inverter power.
    That is also seems to be where a 24v system can get tricky. Most 24V system seem to have a battery size limit of around 5000w. I had a 400w load that I wanted 16-20hrs backup time for. I had to change from a 24v to a 48v system. Feedback I got was that most of the 24v inverters with built in chargers couldn’t handle the larger battery load 🤷
    Last edited by PeterS; 2024/05/17 at 10:00 PM.
    His - 2023 Subaru Forester

Hers - 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8XS

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    That is also seems to be where a 24v system can get tricky. Most 24V system seem to have a battery size limit of around 5000w. I had a 400w load that I wanted 16-20hrs backup time for. I had to change from a 24v to a 48v system. Feedback I got was that most of the 24v inverters with built in chargers couldn’t handle the larger battery load 🤷#♂️
    I'm not sure the 24V cannot handle the larger/long loads. It is normally a case that they cannot recharge a high capacity in a short time after being discharged for 20hrs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Question again please.

Would a (say) 5KVA inverter, 48 volts, handle a printer, laptops etc etc better than a 3KVA?

And what determines how long the lights will be on at night - how do I calculate that?

Apologies, very "basic" Questions I know - but thanks.
    Here is the exercise I did earlier that Fluffy commented on, and taking his advice, and some from other threads, I put a third option forward... the 3KW 24 volt system may be operating at its limit, and the 5KW 48 volt system would easily allow for the battery capacity to be doubled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS_solution_02a..png 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	722499

5KW Better solution links

LUXPOWER SNA5000 5KW OFF-GRID INVERTER+WIFI DONGLE
    DYNESS LITHIUM BATTERY BX51100(51.2V100AH 5.12KWH)
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Here is the exercise I did earlier that Fluffy commented on, and taking his advice, and some from other threads, I put a third option forward... the 3KW 24 volt system may be operating at its limit, and the 5KW 48 volt system would easily allow for the battery capacity to be doubled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS_solution_02a..png 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	722499

5KW Better solution links

LUXPOWER SNA5000 5KW OFF-GRID INVERTER+WIFI DONGLE
    DYNESS LITHIUM BATTERY BX51100(51.2V100AH 5.12KWH)
    Just remember that the Dyness although 5.12 kWh capacity can only operate at 50A continuously which gives a load of 2.4kW.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Just remember that the Dyness although 5.12 kWh capacity can only operate at 50A continuously which gives a load of 2.4kW.
    That part of the spec is available on other sites, but not the one I pulled the price from. The Hubble from the same supplier sorts that out, but then we go more than 50% over Fluffy's first choice and the budget is blown.

Thanks for the heads-up and now back to the drawing board... putting something together in the low budget market is a minefield.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    That part of the spec is available on other sites, but not the one I pulled the price from. The Hubble from the same supplier sorts that out, but then we go more than 50% over Fluffy's first choice and the budget is blown.

Thanks for the heads-up and now back to the drawing board... putting something together in the low budget market is a minefield.
    The Dyness is available in both a 0.5C and a 1C battery. Just like others like Pylontech.

If you buy 2, it doesn't matter much which one.

The total battery capacity remains the same.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/18 at 11:58 PM.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The Dyness is available in both a 0.5C and a 1C battery. Just like others like Pylontech.

If you buy 2, it doesn't matter much which one.

The total battery capacity remains the same.
    Potentially another dom vraag.

If I buy 2 "separate packs", one only for the office (printer etc) and other only for "outside" (the tubes).....??

Both "packs" then have ample time to charge whenever there is Eskom, the "office pack" during the night, the "light pack" during daytime?

2 x 3 KVA jobbies?

Petri, I will contact you in the morning, Monday. I can get dealer prices for you on various options. 5kw inverter and 5kva battery for not much more than the systems posted. Can add solar anytime. You will just need an electrician to install. These mobile portable options are horribly over priced.
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2024/05/19 at 09:14 AM.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2