Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3 KVA Inverter with Batteries - ADVISE PLS

Hi Guys

Looking at getting an Inverter for loadshedding at Work.

Must be at least 3 KVA, but also not really much more than that.

Looking at a complete "setup", easy to install.

Would be nice if it has Solar Inputs.

Where/What ??

THANKS

Default Re: 3 KVA Inverter with Batteries - ADVISE PLS

Ek het so een gehad, niks state of the art nie maar kon darem stretch tot op 12 ure.

https://powerforum-store.co.za/colle...-system-bundle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Victron has a 3 kw unit, good quality but is expensive.
    The MPPT (for solar) charger needs to be purchased separately.
    As in Cape Town there will probably be a list of "approved inverters" in all municipalities eventually.
    The list of Cape Town approved inverters will probably be a safe bet.

The experts will be along shortly.
    2022 Isuzu KB7 3.0 D/Max 4x4 LSE extended cab
    2016 KTM 1190 R Adventure
    2005 Conqueror Conquest

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die Rooi Lorrie For This Useful Post:

In my search for a low cost solution (to at least power an 1800W microwave) I have not come across a good value 3kw system.

The 5kw systems are not much more but offer a much better Watt / Rand value for a relatively small extra cost.

I would get by without a hybrid inverter, would that also be a solution for an office?
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

https://solarwarehousesa.com/product...BoCbNYQAvD_BwE

I trust these inverters. Note it has MPPT Solar Charger, most in this class are PWM. It also has the much desired ability to mix Solar/Grid/Battery.

And two of these and you have a brilliant Solar ready system.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/lithium-ion...bluetooth.html
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/14 at 03:35 PM.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    In my search for a low cost solution (to at least power an 1800W microwave) I have not come across a good value 3kw system.

The 5kw systems are not much more but offer a much better Watt / Rand value for a relatively small extra cost.

I would get by without a hybrid inverter, would that also be a solution for an office?
    Problem is 5kW systems need a 48V battery.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Petrie,
    Ek het so een amper n jaar gelede gekoop.
    Werk regtig baie goed.
    https://www.computech-solutions.co.z...tock-now-copy/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

This ^^

I dont have the finances now to invest in batteries, panels etc.

We cope quite well with our portable shedding solution for lights, wifie, office etc.

But what gets me is when we quickly want to make something like a strip or finger for my daughter in the air fryer, specially in the morning for lunch, and the power is off. Just need a solution for this - that wont actually cook the battery after one use

But the market is flooded with options - with my luck I buy and regret it 1 month later
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2024/05/14 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Petrie,
    Ek het so een amper n jaar gelede gekoop.
    Werk regtig baie goed.
    https://www.computech-solutions.co.z...tock-now-copy/
    Oom Roelf, raas sy waaier baie, of kan hy in die huis staan?

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Oom Roelf, raas sy waaier baie, of kan hy in die huis staan?
    Goeie vraag.
    Hy het n groot, lae frekensie waaier. Dis nie n klein skree-masjien nie. Hy staan reg langs my vrou se lessenaar. Ek het aangebied om hom te skuif na die anderkant van die vertrek, maar sy sę dis nie nodig nie. Dit pla ons regtig nie, maar miskien sal die volgende persoon anders voel.
    Ek was verstom hoeveel krag ons uit kon trek (toe daar nog n ding soos loadshedding was) en dan is die battery effektief nog vol.
    Ons is rerig baie gelukkig met die sisteem.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Hi Guys

Looking at getting an Inverter for loadshedding at Work.

Must be at least 3 KVA, but also not really much more than that.

Looking at a complete "setup", easy to install.

Would be nice if it has Solar Inputs.

Where/What ??

THANKS
    I have a Blue Nova CPS-3000 24V 3kVA 2.4kW system with a Synapse 3.0V Off-Grid Inverter that I used to run my office problem free for two years.

It is a combined unit that can be wall mounted and also have solar input (MPPT 102V open circuit, 30 - 80V operating, and 1000W max input) but I did not use it. I has 2 x 12V 108Ah Blue Nova LiFePO4 batteries. It ran me and my wifes offices easily for 8+ hours with more than 50% power left, basically 2 HP Z-Book Laptops each with extra screen, printer, and LED desk and roof lights for the two offices.

Output is two normal wall plugs mounted on the unit. It has an automatic pass-through for power from the grid with seamless switch to inverter on power failure. Grid Power can be supplied from a normal 16A 3 pin (earthed) wall plug, minimal installation as all breakers etc. is installed on the unit.

I can recommend such a unit, with the only drawback is inverter fans that can be somewhat noisy during charging and higher power inverting.

The thing looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cps3000.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	722223
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    https://solarwarehousesa.com/product...BoCbNYQAvD_BwE

I trust these inverters. Note it has MPPT Solar Charger, most in this class are PWM. It also has the much desired ability to mix Solar/Grid/Battery.

And two of these and you have a brilliant Solar ready system.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/lithium-ion...bluetooth.html
    At this price level for a trusted inverter there is very few to match it. Even if no PV is attached.

Here is a unit that will power the 1800W AC input microwave but not a 1800W microwave power unit.

Just don't expect 2x100A to cook a meal. It should affect the battery long term. I have been using a Axpert clone for 3 years(3kVA 24V) heating food for late lunch before every MotoGP and F1 race when after 12h and we happen to have LS. I have 4x12V lithium batteries attached.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Problem is 5kW systems need a 48V battery.
    I am loathe to disagree with you on this subject... so I put the following forward as just the way I see it, and have been looking at the problem.

Is there something in the 5KW solution that I am missing, a detail I have missed?

Name:	LS_solution_01.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	722228

5KW links:
    MUST 5.2KVA PRO 100A MPPT HYBRID INVERTER
    ECCO 51.2V 100AH 5.12KWH LITHIUM BATTERY LIFEPO4
    Last edited by MarcR; 2024/05/14 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added links...
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I am loathe to disagree with you on this subject... so I put the following forward as just the way I see it, and have been looking at the problem.

Is there something in the 5KW solution that I am missing, a detail I have missed? (cost, you have selected the cheapest possible 48V Lithium battery that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole)

Name:	LS_solution_01.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	722228
    It's not a case of disagreeing at all. In fact, I agree with you.

It is simply a matter of choice and preference and cost.

I will always take a 5kW system over a 3kW system. Unless you really don't need it and you are very cost sensitive.

EDIT - Having just looked at that battery - At face value it has everything going for it except a terrible brand reputation. One of those too good to be true stories.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/14 at 05:05 PM.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Ok
    Most helpful so far, thanks, appreciated.
    If I want some of the stands tube lights to keep on at night during shedding...?
    Possible?
    I mean, we're NEVER gonna use the PCs/ printer etc etc together with the lights
    ??.

Ok
    Most helpful so far, thanks, appreciated.
    If I want some of the stands tube lights to keep on at night during shedding...?
    Possible?
    I mean, we're NEVER gonna use the PCs/ printer etc etc together with the lights
    ??.

IS it LED tubes? If so, then yes, easy. If not LED then a bit more complicated, but should also be possible even if a limited amount of tubes.

As a rule of thumb I'm not a big fan of all in one systems like the typical so called trolly UPS's, however look at the Bluenova all in one systems as mentioned above, I know Revov also have similar options, that will be your easiest in terms of plug and play.

Victron have a product called Easysolar, inverter, charger and MPPT controller all in one box, you get it in a 48v 3000VA version, just add a battery and you are off to the races, plus you can add solar panels later to start getting some ROI on your initial cost.

Please whatever you do, don't even consider lead acid batteries, lithium is the way to go.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    IS it LED tubes? If so, then yes, easy. If not LED then a bit more complicated, but should also be possible even if a limited amount of tubes.

As a rule of thumb I'm not a big fan of all in one systems like the typical so called trolly UPS's, however look at the Bluenova all in one systems as mentioned above, I know Revov also have similar options, that will be your easiest in terms of plug and play.

Victron have a product called Easysolar, inverter, charger and MPPT controller all in one box, you get it in a 48v 3000VA version, just add a battery and you are off to the races, plus you can add solar panels later to start getting some ROI on your initial cost.

Please whatever you do, don't even consider lead acid batteries, lithium is the way to go.
    Yes, LED tubes.

There are 20 Lights - 40 Tubes.
    We actually ran the Lights one night on the little (2 KVA) generator, and I couldnt BELIEVE how easy it handled them.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Question again please.

Would a (say) 5KVA inverter, 48 volts, handle a printer, laptops etc etc better than a 3KVA?

And what determines how long the lights will be on at night - how do I calculate that?

Apologies, very "basic" Questions I know - but thanks.

Question again please.

Would a (say) 5KVA inverter, 48 volts, handle a printer, laptops etc etc better than a 3KVA?

And what determines how long the lights will be on at night - how do I calculate that?

Apologies, very "basic" Questions I know - but thanks.
    Not necessarily better but longer as you would as a minimum typically store 5kWh in a typical 48V (52V) 100 AH battery.
    To calculate the load of your system (and this is an example, see if you can find your actual equipment figures and use actual quantities of each type)
    • Printer 100W x 2 = 200W (when working but lets assume they are, Printers consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Laptop 80W x 3 = 240W (when active but lets assume they are, Laptops consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Lights per LED tube say 10W x 40 = 400W
    • and so forth for other loads

Add the lot = 840W (this is still far inside the capacity of your 3kVa inverter)
    Say you have 5kWh battery (typical 48/52V 100Ah battery)
    Most batteries stop at 10% SOC so you will typically have 4.5kWh available, but you will also have some inverter losses, so lets say you can get 4000Wh to the equipment from a full battery charge.
    That will then be good for 4000/840 = 4.75 hrs minimum.
    If you are sure your load is low (and will remain low), rather invest in extra battery capacity than in inverter power.
    Last edited by Mike N; 2024/05/17 at 03:19 PM.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Not necessarily better but longer as you would as a minimum typically store 5kWh in a typical 48V (52V) 100 AH battery.
    To calculate the load of your system (and this is an example, see if you can find your actual equipment figures and use actual quantities of each type)
    • Printer 100W x 2 = 200W (when working but lets assume they are, Printers consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Laptop 80W x 3 = 240W (when active but lets assume they are, Laptops consume less when not actually doing a job)
    • Lights per LED tube say 10W x 40 = 400W
    • and so forth for other loads

Add the lot = 840W (this is still far inside the capacity of your 3kVa inverter)
    Say you have 5kWh battery (typical 48/52V 100Ah battery)
    Most batteries stop at 10% SOC so you will typically have 4.5kWh available, but you will also have some inverter losses, so lets say you can get 4000Wh to the equipment from a full battery charge.
    That will then be good for 4000/840 = 4.75 hrs minimum.
    If you are sure your load is low (and will remain low), rather invest in extra battery capacity than in inverter power.
    If the printer is a laser printer then the power when switching on can be around 1kW but only for a short period.

Having said this the load will still be within what the 3kVA inverter can supply. One just needs to check the overall power used by it which will partially be based on the traffic throughput. This will have an effect on the battery capacity if it is 24V or 48V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast