Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My G-wagen with 642 engine, failure.

The hardware was removed before the ECU reprogram. Was well done.
    Tx for the advice, especially to others in same boat.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

Glad to hear that this worked out well in the end Oom Johan (under circumstances)

If I recall correctly this vehicle had a turbo replaced under warranty as well? Was this perhaps also DPF related?

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Glad to hear that this worked out well in the end Oom Johan (under circumstances)

If I recall correctly this vehicle had a turbo replaced under warranty as well? Was this perhaps also DPF related?
    Thank you.

Yes, the turbo was at first replaced twice, close to each other. The ecu gives the message "Boost pressure actuator" meaning problem turbo side. As per MB the actuator is not available loose and the whole unit was replaced. After the second time the same message was received and I told MB they will be replacing turbos every two weeks. It is not the turbo at fault but something sending a message to the ecu that causes the turbo to cut power to save the engine. This culprit could never be found. Later, the turbo was replaced a third time along with the torque converter. Also to no avail.

DPF related? After the DPF was replaced (also under warranty) the limp was still lurking in the shadows and appeared at his own will.

I believe with the engine swop that culprit died too. Holding thumbs.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Engine oil analysis would most likely have picked up the problem as well but not every one can / or wants to do this.

Possibly an alternative is to periodically take a drop of the engine oil from the dipstick on a piece of white paper known as a blotter test. Leave for at least 2 x hours. It takes a bit of experience identifying the different possible issues but the presence of raw diesel in the engine oil is comparatively easy once the engine oil starts to darken. (Fresh engine oil and raw diesel will be difficult to differentiate.) Raw diesel makes a transparent outer ring that cannot be misinterpreted. See the attached guide / illustration.

Possibly then send in a sample if anything of possible concern is observed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine oil botter test.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	721701  
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    So sad to hear Johan. sorry for this, as it is an awesome vehicle and I love working on these 642's

What we have been finding a lot more these past few months, especially on the mercs and VW's, is tuners only deleting the fault codes, and the actual module and also not removing the DPF hardware. This is dangerous!!
    firstly, if ou don't remove the hardware, the DPF will clog up and cause a lot of back pressure.
    secondly you wont know it, as there will be no indication of the part failing as the ECU will not through a warning.

maybe send your ECU to Mike in Silverton and let him read the software on it.
    might be that someone has tampered with it, and did only half a job.....

I do a lot of these Merc on a weekly basis, and I redo a lot of them that was done by other guys, supposedly cheap cheap solutions.
    Please tell us more about Mike in Silverton...
    Mercedes Benz GLC 350d

Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    Please tell us more about Mike in Silverton...
    Mike is located at 273 Dykor rd, Silverton

Have a look at our website for more information.
    https://customtuning.co.za/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

The OM642 motor is a legend. There are countless stories of Sprinters having done in excess of 1 million KM on these. They are fantastic / reliable. The DPF and Cat and EGR are probably the only things that can mess them up. There is one issue with these motors that the factory never acknowledged. On a few motors the exhaust at the manifold had an insert in the pipe. My insert disintegrated over time and pieces got ingested into the turbo. A call to a mate in Germany gave us the heads up. The turbos are available from Garret in Kempton for around R16k. At the dyno day a few years ago my OM642 pushes 185kw and 612nm. They are great great motors. BM made the straight 6 3.0l and Merc the V6. I have had both. The beemer kills the Merc from standstill to 80. The merc kills the beemer from 80-140 and towing. They are just so different but such fantastic motors. I am sure your G-Wagon will be fine now for another 800k km.
    Jeep, there is only one.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevjones For This Useful Post:

Sorry about that hit you wallet Johan and than you for posting.

I have a 2.2 diesel Mazda CX5 and JUST before the 80k km service she threw up a Oil level high warning on the dash and Mazda said it has to do with the DPF not regenerating fully due to short driving distances BUT could not define a distance for short.... This is a concern and now has m thinking.....

Once again, thanks Johan.

Thanks for the post !

I Booked my GL in today to get the DPF removed. Rather save than sorry.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (For the uninformed: It has adjustable height, low-range and 2 diff locks)
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW View Post
    Sorry about that hit you wallet Johan and than you for posting.

I have a 2.2 diesel Mazda CX5 and JUST before the 80k km service she threw up a Oil level high warning on the dash and Mazda said it has to do with the DPF not regenerating fully due to short driving distances BUT could not define a distance for short.... This is a concern and now has m thinking.....

Once again, thanks Johan.
    First I hear similar problems out of Japan. Do not think too long. Remove that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    Thanks for the post !

I Booked my GL in today to get the DPF removed. Rather save than sorry.
    Good choice. My intelligent advisers said NOT to blank off the EGR. Keep it running. Only the DPF.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Cool Re: My G-wagen with 642 engine, failure.

Maybe it was from all your drag racing days Johan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240517_173825_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	722457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240517_173753_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	722458  

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    First I hear similar problems out of Japan. Do not think too long. Remove that thing.

Good choice. My intelligent advisers said NOT to blank off the EGR. Keep it running. Only the DPF.
    Why?
    Mercedes Benz GLC 350d

Would love also to hear from Johan..
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

Land Rover Owners call this a Wednesday.....
    Life is too short to own a Toyota.

Current - 2024 Suzuki Jimny GLX 5 Door
    Ex - 2023 Suzuki Jimny GLX, 2022 Suzuki Jimny GL, 2010 Landrover Discovery 4 3.0 SE (Got all Cranky at 269K), 2007 Mercedes GL320, 2004 Renault Modus,
    2003 VW Polo 1.6, 1997 Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 v6 (Busso!!!), 1997 VW Polo 1.4, 1994 VW Shitty Golf (Chicco)

On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    The OM642 motor is a legend. There are countless stories of Sprinters having done in excess of 1 million KM on these. They are fantastic / reliable. The DPF and Cat and EGR are probably the only things that can mess them up. There is one issue with these motors that the factory never acknowledged. On a few motors the exhaust at the manifold had an insert in the pipe. My insert disintegrated over time and pieces got ingested into the turbo. A call to a mate in Germany gave us the heads up. The turbos are available from Garret in Kempton for around R16k. At the dyno day a few years ago my OM642 pushes 185kw and 612nm. They are great great motors. BM made the straight 6 3.0l and Merc the V6. I have had both. The beemer kills the Merc from standstill to 80. The merc kills the beemer from 80-140 and towing. They are just so different but such fantastic motors. I am sure your G-Wagon will be fine now for another 800k km.
    On a few motors the exhaust at the manifold had an insert in the pipe. My insert disintegrated over time and pieces got ingested into the turbo.
    I think that I may have this problem in my Jeep GC 2007, my turbo failed due to pitting on the exhaust side of the turbo (vnt vanes seized solid) , turbo online told me this when they stripped the turbo to repair. I the insert pipe in the v where the to exhaust manifolds come together?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2