Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: I am back!!!! Land Cruiser 200 VX-R || Ownership record and feedback

Nys
    Nou moet jy net jou oe op die 200 hou, anders gaan ons een van die dae 'n thread kry waar jy weer terug is in 'n 105.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

Default Re: I am back!!!! Land Cruiser 200 VX-R || Ownership record and feedback

Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    Nys
    Nou moet jy net jou oe op die 200 hou, anders gaan ons een van die dae 'n thread kry waar jy weer terug is in 'n 105.

het gelukkig een in die stal al klaar
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

Geniet hom, Nys.
    Errol Cornelius

Audi Q7
    Touareg V8

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

Nys

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Congrats Nys,

There is just something about a 200 that I havent found in other vehicles yet, I got a Patrol on Friday which Im getting to know still but it doesnt give me that 200 feeling yet.

Will follow with interest.
    Nou watse Patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Nou watse Patrol?
    Kyk sy signature! 5.6
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Played around a bit with the ECT Power button. WOW - a power button that actually works! It feels like a throttle controller. No idea how it works, but it feels like it unleashes a few kw!!

What is very noticeable, is when you go back to eco mode, it feels like an anchor is dropped!!!

So I assume it is just increased throttle sensitivity
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Played around a bit with the ECT Power button. WOW - a power button that actually works! It feels like a throttle controller. No idea how it works, but it feels like it unleashes a few kw!!

What is very noticeable, is when you go back to eco mode, it feels like an anchor is dropped!!!

So I assume it is just increased throttle sensitivity
    Exactly that. On the old VX, it didn't make too much of a difference.

Congrats! The ride looks awesome
    Rob,

2022 Hilux 2.8 GD6 Legend - Build Thread | 2019 Conqueror Companion - mods coming soon | Disco 1 200TDI 2 door custom build project - Build Thread | XpeditionAfrica

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Nys

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Congrats Nys,

There is just something about a 200 that I havent found in other vehicles yet, I got a Patrol on Friday which Im getting to know still but it doesnt give me that 200 feeling yet.

Will follow with interest.
    Die een gemis Jean!!

Ja, a 200 is net iets anders. Ek kon n 300 GX-R gekry het vir so 100k ekstra, selfde kilos. Maar hel, daai ding is darem under specced. En hy gee net nie vir my die indestructible gevoel van n 200 nie. Dis baie moeilik om te beskryf. Dink net iemand wat al n 200 gehad het sal verstaan.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Congrats and many happy miles.

Also sorry to hear about the Amarok issues. I had my doubts regarding this new Amarok hence my post at the start of your Amarok thread.

I really enjoyed driving a Ranger for a couple months after I sold my car and its a great bakkie so I dont want to criticise it too much, but there is just no way I would compare the build quality to the previous generation Amarok. I had two previous generation Amaroks. The V6 and milk bottle. Great vehicles.

Did you consider the new Prado?
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/05/08 at 10:14 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

Default I am back!!!! Land Cruiser 200 VX-R || Ownership record and feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Congrats and many happy miles.

Also sorry to hear about the Amarok issues. I had my doubts regarding this new Amarok hence my post at the start of your Amarok thread.

I really enjoyed driving a Ranger for a couple months after I sold my car and its a great bakkie so I dont want to criticise it too much, but there is just no way I would compare the build quality to the previous generation Amarok. I had two previous generation Amaroks. The V6 and milk bottle. Great vehicles.

Did you consider the new Prado?
    Yes. Did think about the new Prado. But sorry, not going with a 2.8 4cylinder
    Last edited by Nys; 2024/05/08 at 11:06 PM.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

Die een gemis Jean!!

Ja, a 200 is net iets anders. Ek kon n 300 GX-R gekry het vir so 100k ekstra, selfde kilos. Maar hel, daai ding is darem under specced. En hy gee net nie vir my die indestructible gevoel van n 200 nie. Dis baie moeilik om te beskryf. Dink net iemand wat al n 200 gehad het sal verstaan.
    Except Bruce

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Except Bruce

Look, it was a serious contender. Absolutely brilliant car. But 3 things counted against it

1. Long service intervals. What Ive read on this forum, just opens up risk. Especially if you dont know the previous owner. And I could not buy new

2. Space. 200 is way way bigger inside

3. Air suspension. This was also in the positives but having seen a Range Rover with collapsed suspension in Botswana, I dont think I will ever risk that on an overland trip. And yes, I did take the Touareg on numerous trips. But now with a young family, I just dont know
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

I'm just pulling Bruce's leg. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I've seriously looked at a 130 and the people that I know that has a new defender recommends it strongly but they don't nearly put it through it's paces. I know Bruce does, so it's not wise to argue him. If the time comes that I have to replace the 200 I would consider a 130 because I don't think the 300 is on par yet.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    except bruce;d
    ;d;d;d

Sitting at Eldorado, just outside Etosha. From Windhoek straight into one of the worst headwinds Ive encountered.

Towed beautifully!!! Yes, the torque converter does not lock up easily but it sits in 6th gear and only goes to 5 when it needs to. Seems it sweet spot is around 115km/h. then torque convertor locks up and it will happily sit there

miles better than the VX!!!!
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Filled up yesterday. 6.5km/l. This was about 200km school run then towing. Happy with that
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Back after about 1,500km trip, with 80% of that towing on highway and gravel (took the road less travelled back home yesterday).

Towing on highway. It seems the sweet spot for the VX-R and Ratel combo is 115km/h. Then the torque converter locks up and it will happily sit there, even with inclines, only gearing back to 5th on proper gradients. This is a bit fast for my liking, but I never felt unsafe at that speed.

100km/h also works a treat and returns much better fuel consumption (around 7km/l) but joh, that is just too slow.

On gravel, obviously speeds vary depending on road condition, but it eats the miles. Will happily do 100km/h on gravel, purring at 1700rpm and returning decent consumption.

And the rear entertainment for the kids - what a blessing. They watched barbie, My Litttle Pony and Looney Tunes to their harts content while Swambo and I can listen to our music for once!!!

Driving in the park at the park speeds, returned 9km/l. But man, the roads in Etosha are horrible!!! Had to air down to 1.5bar just to make it doable and you still shake your bezeezes off.

All in, I am happy. Much better than my previous VX.

Now for the upgrades
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Default I am back!!!! Land Cruiser 200 VX-R || Ownership record and feedback

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	722168
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	722169
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	722058  
    Last edited by Nys; 2024/05/14 at 06:31 AM.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

VW Amarok PanAm V6

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

All you Toyota-hollics might have seen || I am back in a 200

After a very short stint in what I thought was what I wanted, I am back home. Finally in the 200 I wanted from the start.

Again, for your amusement, I will record my ownership experience here.

Honest feedback will again be given Doing a camping trip to Etosha this weekend, so will tow with it straight of the bat!!!

​Feedback/Review

As mentioned, I am 'home' so am very familiar with the 200, albeit the pre-facelift VX. So this review will focus more on the difference between the VX and the VX-R and if the 'issues' have been attended to.

First Impressions

It is so good to be back in the 200. This car is just amazing and just provides you with a feeling of indestructibility. The things I missed, and enjoy, straight off the bat:

1. Seat heating and cooling. But this time round, it has an auto function. So seat climate is controlled, heated and cooled
    2. Space and space galore. So much fun not having the kids kicking you in the back anymore
    3. coolbox between the front seats. You don't know what you miss until you have this
    4. 4 zone climate control. Again, something you won't understand until you have it. being able to control the climate for the kids is really beneficial
    5. This model comes with the JBL Synthesis audio system, with (I think) 14 speakers. The Harmon/Kardon in the Amarok was good, but this is just next level!!!
    6. Also comes with the rear seat entertainment system. So now the kids can watch movies while we enjoy our music!!!

Will add as I find more things I enjoy.
    Congratulations... The 200 VX are bullett-proof, and I love mine..... I have towed Afrispoor trailers for many years, and am now on my 5th. This one is the Wildcat (2x Sleeper)..... May I suggest that you add a set of Firestone Airbags at the rear... They aren't expensive, but it really stops any bottoming out when towing, and makes it generally a more comfortable ride.

(BTW: I have used 17 Inch HANKOOK DynaPro ATM's for 10 years and they are wonderful. Quiet on tar, great road-holding in the wet, and very good off-road. Tiger Wheel give 100,000 Kms guarantee, subject to the usual sharp object peneration disclaimer... They are also cheaper than all the other European manufactured brands which have a much lower carbon content in the rubber compound, due to the strict European Carbon Control laws, which is why European brands don't give decent mileage like "Old times"...I recently did an 8,000 Kms round trip to South Luangwa (Zambia from Ballito, and back) and my tyres survived the treacherous sections of road between Lusaka and Luangwa Bridge. That tells it's own story. I have always had a separate tyre monitoring system mounted on my dash. Again, not expensive, but can save you all manner of troubles, if you have a puncture. It tells you as soon as you start losing pressure, so you have time to stop befor you do lots of damage.

For safety sake, I also changed the actual gooseneck towing hitch, to the one with a drop-in pin. It keeps the tow chain separate, but fully secured so it can't pop off, and from just hanging over the gooseneck. Far safer for everybody. You can buy them from most campting shops.

Finally: As Toyota Land Cruisers have terrible manufacturer supplied jacks, I threw my original jack out, and replaced it with an American-sourced, Heavy-duty Scissor jack, rated at 7,500 Lbs (3 tons). It has a N21 spanner nut on one side, and is 600mm long, and only about 100mm high when closed. I added a Makita Power Wrench with a short socket extension, and a No21 socket. If I have a problem, and need to change a wheel, the power wrench quickly drives the jack up to nearly 600mm off the ground! Quick and no sweating at all! Once the tyre is sorted, just reverse the power wrench, and you are done. Trust me, that's the best solution for changing Land Cruiser wheels ever! (*You can source both the Makita Power Wrench, and heavy duty scissor jack from the American Amazon.com (I did, and they are just fine) NOTE: The Makita Power Wrench also uses the same Standard interchangeable 18Volt batteries as we use in SA, and the charger, you must souce here in SA. - *DON'T try to buy batteries and chargers overseas, because IATA Airfreight rules won't allow. The chargers you buy from Amazon are 110 Volt, and will blow, the moment you plug them into 220 Volt systems here in SA!)

Enjoy.
    Tim Driman

I once had a Front Runner full roof rack, but that now hangs in my garage. I left the two aluminium channels which come with the Front Runner roof rack, attached to the roof mountings which are factory-fitted... I now bolt low-profile square tube bracket sections anywhere along the channel, where I need them with standard M8 bolts. Then, onto those brackets, you add Tule bars, also using M8 bolts and nuts, onto which you can fiit anything. That system reduces the height of the roof load, and is far stronger... Just saying :-P
    Last edited by Tim Driman; 2024/05/13 at 12:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast