Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New Vehicle Advice Please? (Especially if you have the new grand vitara allgrip)

Pajero, warranty was engineered in before they made them.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

Default Re: New Vehicle Advice Please? (Especially if you have the new grand vitara allgrip)

Not to sound like a brat, but everytime I read a starting post about "only" having the budget of something close to half a bar I have to bite my lip... There are so many options out there for that kind of money it isn't even funny, yes they all won't be newer than 3 years, but that isn't a requirement in order to have reliability, plenty of great options available that would be fit for purpose, fuel efficient and reliable (but maybe not all with factory warranty). The Pajero sports are probably great options and much more 4x4 capalbe than needed. There will also be plenty of softies and AWD options.

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Not to sound like a brat, but everytime I read a starting post about "only" having the budget of something close to half a bar I have to bite my lip... There are so many options out there for that kind of money it isn't even funny, yes they all won't be newer than 3 years, but that isn't a requirement in order to have reliability, plenty of great options available that would be fit for purpose, fuel efficient and reliable (but maybe not all with factory warranty). The Pajero sports are probably great options and much more 4x4 capalbe than needed. There will also be plenty of softies and AWD options.
    This man speaks wisdom

I think I could halve the budget and still get me something that ticks the boxes (not LR)

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Under R200k now. Shop around. Lots of car for the price.

They can be thirsty but Paj owners who know the girls throttle sweet spot....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240510_063130.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	721868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240510_063141.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	721869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240510_063204.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	721870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240510_063216.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	721871

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided4x4 View Post
    Technically speaking, would the new Grand Vitara All Grip be capable of doing a trip like Sani Pass in a "this is fun" kind of way as opposed to "oh no I've fucked up, this car isn't built for this" way? If not, why?

Would I be mad for thinking of getting an Auto Jimny 5 Door if I plan on doing 500km of highway driving a week (assuming I like being comfortable and being able to drive at 120km/h)?

Thanks
    Having tried them, soft roaders are a waste of time if you want to do anything a bit more than gravel. Rather get a nice raised body crossover for bad tar roads, good fuel economy (eg Suzuki Fronx or a Korean), and rent a proper 4x4 (Jimnys available too) for when the Sani bug bites, and for annual off road adventures. Driving a Fortuner/Pajero 4x4 every for 500km per week and using it only occasionally for what it's meant for, doesn't make economic sense. My choice for a reasonable compromise would be a good used X-Trail, No low range, but it ha 4x4 lock and makes a nice family daily, economical on long drives.

Have you considered the Renault Duster? Very light on fuel and surprisingly capable off road.

First post here. Please try not to crucify me.

So I currently drive a hatch, 115kw, 200nm torque that's getting a bit old and starting to give issues. In the 5 years I've owned it, I've had 3 accidents, all a result of debris on the freeway (damaged rims, tires, suspension, bumper etc). My car is quite low, had I been driving an SUV or crossover I would have probably had little to no damage.

I'm an out doors type of person, enjoy exploring, hiking, fishing etc, I've been considering getting a 4x4 / awd for a few years, and am now considering whether to get one.

I have a budget constraint of around R450k maximum. The predicament I have is I travel a decent amount for work, around 500km a week, mostly freeway driving, so I want something reliable, no more than 3 years old, preferably still with factory warranty.

Initially I was eyeing the 5 door Jimny, but the lack of creature comforts and suitability for prolonged freeway driving crossed it off the list.

I then moved to the new grand vitara allgrip which can be found for around R400k used. Gave it a test drive, has all the creature comforts, but the engine is really underpowered and noisy. I also don't imagine it will be very capable of any serious off roading.

If I did get a 4x4 / awd, I don't imagine I will be off roading every weekend. More like a couple times a year when going on holiday or road trips. For example a trip up Sani Pass and through parts of Lesotho, or a game drive route only suitable for 4x4's.

So I am at a point where I am wondering, in my price range, am I wasting my time wanting an off roader? Should I rather look at something like a corolla cross that will be comfortable daily and just forget about the odd opportunity to go off roading?

What do you think of the new grand vitara all grip for light occasional off roading and an everyday driver? Is the all grip just a marketing ploy?

Should the decision be between the jimny and corolla cross? And base the decision on whether I value comfort or off roading ability more?

Looking for some opinions or suggestions of other options to look at.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2