Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Is an offroad bumper with a winch worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Personally I would far rather have a winch than all the Maxtrax in the world. My experience with them has been less than inspiring.
    Agreed.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

Quote Originally Posted by AlexvdW View Post
    Untill you hit a large animal and that full steel bumper means you can still drive away from what could be a fatal incident then you don't need one, same with the winch. Always had one used it plenty
    Fatal for what reason?
    If just the force of the impact (IE the effects of momentum, such as in an impact with a hippo or elephant or such), that steel bar actually makes you less safe. Your vehicle decelerates more quickly thus increasing the forces applied to your body.
    If it somehow stops the animal from sliding over the bonnet and "attacking" you through the windscreen then maybe, but modern vehicles have crumple zones that do very much the same thing and modern bull bars are swept back and often don't even have high bars designed to prevent this.

Best way to safe-guard yourself from animal collision is not to drive at night and to slow down when you can't see what's going on in the verge.

I'm not saying there's no reason to own a bull bar, but I also don't labor under the misconception that it's going to save my life one day. Mine is there to improve my approach angle and protect my headlights and radiator from bird strikes and branches.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

I have had a front winch and LAS bumper on my Hilux for 7 years now, and have never used it, so I am now fitting a rear winch with a homemade rear bumper, and hope to never use that one either
    Toyota Hilux D/C 4.0 4x4
    Suzuki Kizashi 2.4
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4
    Suzuki SJ 410 (Sold)

Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    Suzuki DRZ 400
    Suzuki RM 250

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DL Mike For This Useful Post:

No its not worth it. Its heavy, alters your handling and steering, worse aerodynamics, expensive as you need to upgrade the coils and possibly shocks, fits more difficult in a garage, less safe as it works against the deceleration in crumple zones etc

So sticking it in for climbing curbs at the mall or going for trip in the kruger is a waste and a big negative. If the look is good for your testosterone, you can rectify that with pills or castration.

but.....

you have mostly better approach angles, wheels are open, mounting place for spots, less damage on small scratches and then the ability to use a hilift jack, wrap your kinetic rope around preparing for expected recoveries and the the ability to self recover, stabilise vehicles etc. And the next winch is on the back bumper.

Wednesday this week I was caught out on a supposedly easy trip that landed up being close to nightmare and stabilised the vehicle with a winch.
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Well modern cars are designed with crupple zones to absorb the impact to protect occupants , deleting the crumple zone with these massive solid bumpers I not so sure , small speed yes , high speed ?
    Winch , no , but on the correct vehicle they look the part
    I have never seen a crash test with these solid bumpers at speed
    On my Pajero the front bonnet is aluminium not sure why but can only be to save a bit of weight , but with a lump of a diesel etc in the front why , perhaps they reached the limit for the suspension?
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2024/05/04 at 05:16 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Am pro offroad bumper and winch. Used the winch more times than I can remember, only a few times for self recovery, but very grateful for the winch in those cases.

The decision to fit one I guess is very personal as it does depend on factors such as how much and what type of off road you do, what obstacles you are willing to attempt, and if you will be on main routes where assistance is a likely alternative.

I get that a fender offers some crumple protection in an oblique collision, but where significant forces meet the steel in modern day fenders, I question the real value.

A head on collision has the potential for a lot more damage. On my ride the fore end of the chassis is very solid and is not going to cushion an impact, I fail to see how fitting an offroad bumper there would make the car less safe. Of course the bumper makes the entire front end more rigid and so there will be transfer of forces that may not otherwise have happened, not convinced thats always a bad thing.

Personally Id rather have the bumper and maintain faith in the airbags and seat belts doing their job.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig McK For This Useful Post:

I've been vacillating between fitting a winch or not for a few years now as I've managed to get by without it for a long time now. That said we like to tour solo and off the beaten track so I suspect there will come a time where I wouldn't mind having it.

For those who are considering a winch, just remember to test/work it every month or so.

No use you have one and it drops you when you need it.

Happened to me. Loose wire in remote.
    Last edited by jfh; 2024/05/31 at 10:55 AM.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Het winch op 5 voertuie gehad en heelwat alleen getoer en saam mense. Nooit my winch gebruik nie. En nou nie n winch op die Hilux nie.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

In my case a winch is a necessary thing. On the VX 200 I have a winch which I have used probably once a year. In saying this I move combine harvesters around. Most times it is for vehicles stuck in mud but since 2015 I have had the 200 pull itself out in the Transkei on a few occasions as well as a combine which veered off the road and then also assisted with unloading movable off low beds. This though is always a last resort.

Funny experience. The day Kruger opened after covid I was in the park with my new refurbished 105. Had installed in front a new winch. We'll the park was really quite with hardly any cars and 10km away from I think it was Olifants we were driving on a dirt road and we heard somebody scream for help from the river side of the road. After asking my wife if we had heard anything she confirmed this and we reversed. 150m into the sandy river bed there stuck was an Amarok and a toyota down to their chassis in the sand combined with young drunk people running around. I wanted to leave then remembered a bit of my participation of simlar ludicrous actions in my youth and put that Warne winch to use with great satisfaction. I have a wonderfull video of me pulling out the Amarok which I show when a few of my relations come around. The wife obviously did not capture me pulling out the Fortuner.

Anyway when you need a winch it is pretty handy to have. When you don't have one and a heavy vehicle is down to its chassis in mud then it becomes difficult and although snatch ropes work winches in my opinion when used safely and correctly are a better option..

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khakibush For This Useful Post:

My thoughts on the bumper - yes it looks great but the main reason for me fitting mine is for animal strikes. Out in bots or African countries there is always a high possibility and this might just save your trip. My 2c

Sent from my REA-NX9 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyled4d For This Useful Post:

I had a bumper on the Isuzu with winch.

On a trip back from Swaziland a sheep ran over the road with me at speed. I hit it with the open left front wheel. Dead. With no damage to the vehicle.

'Nuff said.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I had a bumper on the Isuzu with winch.

On a trip back from Swaziland a sheep ran over the road with me at speed. I hit it with the open left front wheel. Dead. With no damage to the vehicle.

'Nuff said.
    Had an accident last week at a 4way stop street with no stop signs. My damage nix except paint Renault was a bit dented
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240601_095437.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	838.3 KB 
ID:	723495  

I had a winch on a Beach buggy in the late 70''s. Never used it. I did my first trip to Moremi in 1989. Been to Zim, Zam, Nam, Bots and a few other spots. Never had a winch and never winched by someone else.

High lift jack and jacking points on the four corners of the vehicle is critical on my priorities. Tyres with high sidewalls needed more than high lift suspension.

Learn how to drive and which bad spots to miss. Moremi, sand ridge, Savute etc was done with a Nissan high rider by a family member. (2x4 with diff lock) Never winched either.

Mostly it is the driver and not the equipment. When you mix ego with 4x4 it becomes overly expensive.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

If you do go for a winch make sure that you have all the other gear needed to utilize it to its full potential: straps, snatch blocks, shackles and rope.
    Ideally you need all the gear to pull yourself backwards using a front winch . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Huckelberry View Post
    If you do go for a winch make sure that you have all the other gear needed to utilize it to its full potential: straps, snatch blocks, shackles and rope.
    Ideally you need all the gear to pull yourself backwards using a front winch . . . .
    I have always wondered how?
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

I'm a moron, but humour me.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    (4x4) Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual + 2017 XL Auto, Haval H9
    Ex 320d E90, Maz MPS 2.3 DISI, CITI Golf MKI,
    Ford Anglia 307E in British racing green, my first car ❤

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    I have always wondered how?

If you have a rope on the winch, you just pull it underneath the vehicle backwards, done it a few times.
    Johan Kriel

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    A winch is pretty cool when travelling in a convoy if you have at least 2x vehicles with winch capability.

Ask any winch owner how many times they recovered others vs self recovery, it's just so much more practical to use the winch of a non-stuck vehicle to assist others.

I have a hand winch I sometimes chuck on the bakkie that does not take much space. If you travel solo & want to fit a winch, I would still recommend a secondary hand winch for recovery to the side or the back where a front winch would be useless.
    Hi everyone, interesting discussion.

Has anyone ever used a high-lift jack as a winch? I know this is possible, but worried about the standing next to that cable when winching and also about the ability of the high-lift jack to deal with the load. Also takes a hell of a long time to go anywhere!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Bots View Post

Has anyone ever used a high-lift jack as a winch? I know this is possible, but worried about the standing next to that cable when winching and also about the ability of the high-lift jack to deal with the load. Also takes a hell of a long time to go anywhere!!!

Thanks
    I have, a couple of times.
    It is a lot of work sure enough. But less work than walking home.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Bots View Post

Thanks
    https://hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit/
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

I'm a moron, but humour me.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    (4x4) Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual + 2017 XL Auto, Haval H9
    Ex 320d E90, Maz MPS 2.3 DISI, CITI Golf MKI,
    Ford Anglia 307E in British racing green, my first car ❤

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast