Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Is an offroad bumper with a winch worth it?

My thoughts...

The most effective winch is one on another vehicle. My trol had a non-functional winch when I acquired it. I stripped and rebuilt it and got it working again and I service it regularly.

I've used it in anger a few times - recovered the owl rescue centre's landy from the Crocodile river, and also used it to straighten a Toyota SFA Hilux' steering arm so that the folk could get home. I've never used it to recover myself.

They remain useful though. My old man got stuck on river trip once. I was the vehicle in front of him. We used the winch to raise his front diff clear of the rock he had perched his truck on and I pulled him out with a normal strap.

Last year, during our Namaqua tour, when he was not focusing on the road he bogged down fantastically in an estuary (he was eating a chocolate and not paying into the road and he was bounced into the marsh). The second member of the convoy (I was first) was new to "convoy rules" and had not been keeping an eye on the vehicle behind him as he should have done, so we only realised later that the old man was missing. He'd tried winching himself out, but had only succeeded in dragging himself further into the mud. I ended up having to snatch him out backwards - in the opposite direction to the way he was travelling when he got stuck.

In short, I am sort of ambivalent about them. I am lucky in terms of the fact that I have one. Sort of like the hi-lift jack I grudgingly drag around with me (you can use them to winch as well, by the way). Nice to have, but I personally think a winch mounted at the back is probably more effective than a winch mounted on the front for "self recovery"...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2024/04/22 at 01:19 PM.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post
    You will put unnecessary strain on other vehicle components after adding that much weight and not upgrading the suspension.
    I think this is a myth perpetuated by suppliers and too often repeated.

IF, but only if the additional weight causes the suspension to bottom out will an upgraded suspension reduce strain on vehicle components.

Additional weight (from whatever source it may come) will introduce strain on vehicle components. But if it has been decided that the weight is necessary, nothing can be done to reduce that.
    Increasing the frequency of the suspension (which is what stiffer springs do) will slightly increase the magnitude of the loads componentry is subjected to and will actually thus lead to some reduction of component life.
    However the much higher loads transferred if the suspension bottoms out is much more likely to cause damage.

Personally I would only compensate for loads with suspension changes if the ride height is unacceptably compromised or if the suspension starts bottoming out.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    A question:
    Were you winched out forwards or backwards.

My experience with clay is that the stuff typically lasts for very long stretches, and winching out forwards is usually not an option.
    Forwards. The entry was a 90 bend with nasty ruts. I had about 8 meters of tough clay ahead and then it eased out of the marsh. So we had to get the winch vehicle around, which was a struggle in itself. If I had a winch I could have been done by the time the recovery car was in place.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

I've had a winch on my Jeep for around 5 years, if needed it twice, once to save another vehicle from rolling and once when nothing else could get me out.

When i got the ranger i found a warn zeon for cheap on marketplace and decided to get it, was also stuck with mounting it under the factory bumper or getting a bullbar.

Decided to go with the bullbar option, havent needed it since install last year but the face that it is there gives me some comfortClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20231128_185634.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	720531
    JK Wrangler 4.3 V8
    Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4
    Yamaha YZ250
    Yamaha YZ125

Ex
    Willys CJ2a
    Willys CJ3a
    Willys FC170
    Series 3 pickup
    SWB Patrol
    NP200

Hi Guys, for safety sake, if you can do it, put it up.

Below a few pics of one of my guys T-boned a Taxi, Colt chassis as strait as a arrow, Bosbamber only a few scratched, sure the nose on the Colt were bend, it been repaired as we speak.

The bumper took all the impact, only bending on the brackets, chassis and suspension as strait and square as it come from the factory.
    Needless to say my drive got out with out a scratch, couple of people hurt in the taxi. Taxi whole body and chassis bend.

If it was not for the bumper, me and "Coba" would not be hunting this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.30.01 (1).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	721033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.30.01.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	721034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.30.02 (1).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	721035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 13.30.02.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	721036

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gerritp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craigmitchellchf View Post
    I am considering fitting a PIAK or ARB offroad front bumper, with a winch, onto my Ford Everest (2020 2.0 BiT). Most of my offroad driving is on gravel or thick soft sand roads. Our next journey takes us from Moremi to Muchenje through Chobe via the Sand Ridge or Marsh Roads. Wondering if it is worth the investment and, if it is, will I need to lift the suspension with replacement coils, or should spacers suffice? Guessing the bumper and winch will increase the front weight by around 60-75kg. Advice welcomed.
    I will fit a good suspension before I do a bumper and winch IMO. If you got the cash to do both before the trip, then first add all the weight and the fit the suspension.
    Last edited by wessa1999; 2024/04/29 at 07:10 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wessa1999 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gerritp View Post

Below a few pics of one of my guys T-boned a Taxi, Colt chassis as strait as a arrow, Bosbamber only a few scratched, sure the nose on the Colt were bend, it been repaired as we speak.

The bumper took all the impact, only bending on the brackets, chassis and suspension as strait and square as it come from the factory.
    Needless to say my drive got out with out a scratch, couple of people hurt in the taxi. Taxi whole body and chassis bend.

Are you saying it's safer to have an offroad bumper? I would say that an argument can be made in that now instead of the bumper absorbing some of the impact, your body is going to take more abuse than if you had a traditional bumper. So yes it saved your car in your case, but I will bet it put more impact onto your body than a normal bumper would have

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DevonEllett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DevonEllett View Post
    Are you saying it's safer to have an offroad bumper? I would say that an argument can be made in that now instead of the bumper absorbing some of the impact, your body is going to take more abuse than if you had a traditional bumper. So yes it saved your car in your case, but I will bet it put more impact onto your body than a normal bumper would have
    Normal bumpers are not what we grew up with. Only paper-thick plastic covers to protect engine parts from damaged by flying insects.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

A winch is nice to have when you need it!!!
    Have only used it twice on myself and a couple of times on others.

Wife bitched at the price when purchased but after the first recovery, we were on our own, she pronounced that the
    winch had now paid for itself!

Cheers
    Graeme
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    Skipper Oyster LT 75

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graeme McConnachie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme McConnachie View Post
    A winch is nice to have when you need it!!!
    Have only used it twice on myself and a couple of times on others.

Wife bitched at the price when purchased but after the first recovery, we were on our own, she pronounced that the
    winch had now paid for itself!

Cheers
    Graeme
    For me it was the opposite, we got stuck on our own in Moz, in December, in all the stress of getting us unstuck, my instructions from SWAMBO were, when we get back fit a winch.

I had to wait for the parts for the Pajero Sport , but finally fitted the Hamer Bumper and Runva winch on friday.
    2017 Pajero Sport 2.4 d
    XCape

Bicycles Plenty

BMW GS 800 A

2015 Pajero Sport 2.5 d (sold)
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 d (sold)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody62 For This Useful Post:

Insurance helped me fit an off-road bumper when a large truck removed my standard one at an intersection.
    While I was at it, I did OME suspension and a 10000 lb winch which I was in two minds about.

I haven't regretted the decision for a second.
    The major benefit of the bumper is increased ground clearance and attack angle, which has definitely been a factor in Damaraland and the Kaokoveld.
    I have only self-recovered 4 times in 7 years, but I have recovered about 30 other vehicles in the same time, mostly beach recoveries.
    I prefer a controlled, slow winch recovery over a more dynamic method, particularly when assisting strangers.
    One particular night we had to winch a car which had been stuck in a hole for 6 hours and surrounded by lionesses with cubs. Having the ability to work quickly was quite a bonus that night.

In summary, if I am in terrain where I have 4 wheel drive just in case I run into trouble, then I wouldn't bother with a winch. If, however, I am spending time in terrain where 4wd is essential, I like to have a winch just in case I misjudge or run into trouble.

Herd of diesel grazing Isuzus
    Fj45 Windsor motor
    Unimog
    KLR KTM KLE Beta
    Pypkar
    Lada Niva
    98 Rav4 SWB
    Series 2a project

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbine Rub For This Useful Post:

Wink Re: Is an offroad bumper with a winch worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody62 View Post
    For me it was the opposite, we got stuck on our own in Moz, in December, in all the stress of getting us unstuck, my instructions from SWAMBO were, when we get back fit a winch.

I had to wait for the parts for the Pajero Sport , but finally fitted the Hamer Bumper and Runva winch on friday.
    I just asked SWAMBO her opinion - she says definitely get a winch, and any self-respecting offroader knows that SWAMBO is always right,

Herd of diesel grazing Isuzus
    Fj45 Windsor motor
    Unimog
    KLR KTM KLE Beta
    Pypkar
    Lada Niva
    98 Rav4 SWB
    Series 2a project

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbine Rub For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Unless you spend most of the year in such areas where you could need it, don't.
    It's a lot of extra money you could spend elsewhere.
    It adds extra weight to the vehicle (check your tare and GVM).

We installed a front bumper/ winch at our first Pajero, never needed it.
    16 years later and probably 1 Mio km through Africa, recently driving our 5th LWB Pajero, I can not remember one situation where we would have need one.
    Or, where we could've need one, but no suitable anchors around ( mostly traveling solo in remote areas)..
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2024/04/29 at 08:45 AM.

Hi
    For your use case a winch is probably not necessary. What I would recommend is spending some of the money you save on a proper set of Maxtrax - they are my "go to" recovery gear as we usually travel alone.
    Regards
    Last edited by Emilius; 2024/04/29 at 12:42 PM.

Came out of Kafue NP last week and had to detour some water logged areas in high grass and consequently got lost in the area around Nanzhila Safari Lodge.

I wouldn't have dared to chose that route without the back-up of a winch which we duly needed when stuck on dried mud (like concrete) against the front diff and axle and 2 wheels in water.

In fact we needed 2 winches against each other to get my rig freed after an hour of digging solid baked mud under the chassis.

A winch is like an insurance policy, you can go without, but when you get into trouble, it's good to have.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emilius View Post
    Hi
    For your use case a winch is probably not necessary. What I would recommend is spending some of the money you save on a proper set of Maxtrax - they are my "go to" recovery gear as we usually travel alone.
    Regards
    Maxtrax are awesome. However if you are bottomed out wheels in the air they wont help you.
    Genuine Maxtrax are not much cheaper than a winch.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gerritp View Post

The laws of physics would dictate otherwise.

Totally false sense of safety.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Hi
    Regards
    Absolutely agree.

Untill you hit a large animal and that full steel bumper means you can still drive away from what could be a fatal incident then you don't need one, same with the winch. Always had one used it plenty
    2021 FJ CRUISER
    EX - 2004 LandCruiser 100vx V8

Hi
    Regards
    Personally I would far rather have a winch than all the Maxtrax in the world. My experience with them has been less than inspiring.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast