G-wagon 300gd

Thread: G-wagon 300gd

Default G-wagon 300gd

Hi Members

Looking at purchasing a second hand G-Wagon 300GD (1982) and restore the vehicle over the next two years or so. The 300GD that I'm looking at has a lot of work to be done on it especially the body and trim, interior itself is not a problem as I have my own plans with the interior.

I have a few questions about this project and hope that you guys can help.

Is parts easily to come by and are they expensive?

Can one get a hold of body parts like lights, trim, mirrors etc.

Would any proper service centre be able to redo/service prop shaft, diff's and basically replace all parts on engine like pumps, injectors and piping.

I've heard many stories on how reliable they are an that's the reasons I want to buy it and restore it as my overland vehicle.

The project will consist of:
    Panel beat all dents, remove rust, rubberise chassis and interior floor.
    Respray the vehicle green/khaki colour.
    Replace/fix trim and parts missing on body.
    Service/re-con X3 diffs.
    Service/rec-con prop shafts.
    Service/rec-con engine.
    Replace all piping, pumps, injectors etc.
    Fit custom replacement bumpers front and back.
    X4 BF AT'S and Mag wheels
    Covering of seats and interior panels with canvas.
    Relay of new carpet.
    Building X2 benches at back that converts into double bed.
    Fit roof rack and roof top tent.
    Jerry can/gas bottle brackets on roof rack.
    OME suspension (If available for this vehicle).

All your inputs will be appreciated allot as this will help me to decide whether I should or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    Are parts easily to come by and are they expensive?
    No, they can mostly be bought at MB and cost money. to know weather they are expensive you would have to be comparing to something else.

Can one get a hold of body parts like lights, trim, mirrors etc.
    Yes, MB could help you there as well.

Would any proper service centre be able to redo/service prop shaft, diff's and basically replace all parts on engine like pumps, injectors and piping.
    Yes.

Service/rec-con engine.
    I am busy doing an OM617 engine, which is what you have in the G... the cost of the parts, like new sleeves, pistons, big ends, main, small ends, full gasket set, seal set, 2 oil changes and antifreeze as well as ATF Top up is just on 7k. This includes having the engineering done on the block, fitting the new sleeves and machining the bore to match the new pistons. I have done the head already and this was R2k, which included new injector seals and oversize precombustion chamber spacers. The head gasket is OEM from MB, as is all the seals and spacers. The pistons and sleeves, and bearings are from Alert engine parts.

All your inputs will be appreciated alot as this will help me to decide whether I should or not.
    If I was you, I would start with a G that has less work, the costs pile up so quick, before you know it, you have totally over capitalised. An idea is also to have a look on the G Wagon Club website, they will be able to direct you as well. The vehicle is a good one, is veru capable, in any terrain and the beauty of it is that the motor will run on almost anything you care to chuck in the tank....
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Also have a look at www.gwagen.co.za along with gwagenclub.co.za. I agree with most things said and I love the gwagen... would love to own one in the future...

One thing you might want to consider though is power and speed in the 300gd... I nearly bought a very good one for about R55000. It is extremely reliable, probably the most capable vehicle around although keep in mind that you will be lucky to get 100km/h out of it especially on uphill climbs...

If this doesn't bother you, I would say go ahead as planned else, since you are redoing everything, maybe look at fitting another engine...

I am no speed freak, but having to travel to Namibia/Malawi or wherever at 80km/h can be a daunting task... A different story once you are there and start sight seeing etc...

I will one day own a gwagen though... just waiting for the right one at the right time at the right price hehe
    2001 Mitsubishi Pajero DID SWB
    2002 Bundu Offroad Trailer

Reliable?? Well, consider your vehicle is about 28 years old and you have no idea how many km's it has doen as the clock goes to 99k, then back to zero. The reliability will depend on how much you want to put into the project in terms of Rands and effort.

I'd look for something that is mechanically sound. Body work is cheaper than mechanical. I know of a SWB available with a recon 300D and 5-speed box for R60k. Bodywork needs little attention.

Call Dirk Wentzel for an assessment of the vehicle you want to buy. He is an expert and MB trained technician. Also drives a G fulltime. His hour or two out your pocket will be money well spent.

My end remark. No, an old G will never be as reliable as a Cruiser new out the box. But I live with mine and love it to bits.

I have decided to budget R100k on my G. If I buy a new Hilux today I will loose R100k in any case in the first year in loss in value. And who wants to steal a G?

A bit more power on that coiled suspension is all that is required to go with any modern 4x4

JJP. while you are going to re-do the engine, you might ass well let it be balanced, gasflow the head and manufolds in the same time, put a turbo and an intercooler in and a free-flow exhaust. Some guys will be jealous of the power you will have afterwards.

The fact that the earlier G-Wagon engine is de-tuned is to deliver less power but with lots of reliability -the secret to its reputation. Why soup up an engine only to find out it is then just as reliable as the junk from the east? If the German engineers thought it would be a wize thing to do they would have done so in the first instance!

G-wagons are not race wagons. That is why they are unpopular with those playing on the high dunes.

I do not want one - thank you very much. I grew up with an underpowered diesel Mercedes. One of the most dangerous vehicles to negotiate overtaking operations with on the open road - in fact , nerve wrecking. Most of the times you abandon the overtaking exercise, because a marginal incline stopped you in your tracks!

It becomes even more dangerous when 30 tonners overtakes you uphill, and pulls over a little too soon leaving you in the dirt. Not for me, thank you.

JJP

you must set yourself a budget cutoff amount and then see if it is worth spending the money. I see you say you want to recon diffs 3x. The G only has 2x diffs with a transfer box. To recon the transfer box will cost you in excess of R70k.

All parts are available from MB. MB Menlyn is your best option, Speak to Pieter. The parts they do not have in stock they can order either from MBSA or from overseas but it is available. Some parts are cheap and some are very expensive.
    Do not buy wheel bearings and seals from bering agents, they are more expensive and the seals are not to the same standard than the MB seals.

I agree with Johan, speak to Dirk (contact number 083 665 3311). He can give you a good profesional opinion. He is very helpfull and has a mobile workshop.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

JJP

Pse PM me if you have not yet bought the vehicle.

Hi JJP
    Your question on spare parts : they are readily available ,servicing and repairs to prop shafts is no problem at all ,you can purchase original shock absorbers locally at a much lower price than the agents are asking .You are welcome to contact me about G class for more info
    Those telling you G 's are slow are probably not familiar with the G 500 or G55

G55 is known as "The Flying Brick" in the northern Americas....
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Kia Sportage 2012 2.0i AT - seun se ryding
    Noname Boswa
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...verkoop