Lightbulb First time 4x4 Buyer - I need Help

Hi there all, great to form part of this community. I’ve already learned so much just reading through previous threads similar to the one I am raising.

However, I am sitting with a dilemma and was hoping to get 100% objective opinions.

So here follows a clear breakdown:

The Objective:

• I am looking for a vehicle to take me on the roads less traveled. 4x4, double cab is a requirement.
    • My Priorities are Vehicle Reliability, Part Accessibility & Part Affordability.

The Budget:

• R220K - R300K
    • I know this is quite a tight budget to work with given what I am potentially looking for.

The Current Options with live market details of options I am considering: (Keep in mind I am based in Western Cape)

• Isuzu KB 300D-Teq LX 4x4 Double-Cab (2011) ; R229,950 | 173 000 KM | FSH
    • Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCI 4x4 Double-Cab (2017) ; R319 995 | 118 00 KM | FSH
    • Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCI 4x4 Double -Cab (2016) R279 000 | 150 000 KM | FSH
    • Toyota Hilux 2.5 D-4D SRX 4x4 Double-Cab (2011) ; R269 995 | 194 500 | FSH

ALL MANUAL.

The Vision:

• I would like to keep this vehicle long term, 5+ years.
    • The chosen vehicle should be extremely reliable and cost effective to maintain. A requirement would be part accessibility and pricing of those parts.
    • I will probably do around 25,000 kms per year.

My Dilemma:

• The current Ford Ranger 2017 on my list above is outside of my budget, however, it does present the opportunity to buy a relatively new model at very decent mileage at a good price. However, in terms of Mechanical longevity my gut feels uneasy. I can make a plan to afford it… And, should the higher mileage Ranger even be on my list?
    • The Isuzu Presents an opportunity to buy a more affordable option within my budget, the badge carries the stigma around reliability and ‘workhorse’ acumen… However, higher mileage and much older model… This might eradicate the idea of reliability to a certain extent? The Hilux is in the same boat.

I would greatly appreciate advice on this. I know it is extremely hard to advise on this in the first place, used car buying is a gamble… But, at my current volume of knowledge and experience with buying cars, I welcome any piece of well constructed advice.

PS. Mitsubishi Triton is also on my list.

Default Re: First time 4x4 Buyer - I need Help

One thing you will not get here is 100% objectivity. Most people buy vehicles subjectively based on their opinions of usually a relatively short list of vehicles owned.

Models change too quickly for any normal user to be able to get good long-term experience of current (or one generation old) models from more than three or four brands.
    Also, the dealership experience is a big factor in one's ownership experience and that is extremely area-dependent.

Having never owned a double cab I am not going to make any specific recommendations.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

As a 1st time buyer getting into the arena, and staying with your list, I would go with the Toyota in respect of perceived reliability and longevity. I dont know the parts costs though, which might come at a Toyota ''Premium'' but I would imagine they are widely available.

The Toyota would, from my perception, give you the best all round vehicle and probably, the longest trouble free motoring 4x4 experience. (Used vehicle issues aside)
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

If that Toyota is the 2.5 d4d 75kw, you will not get there fast. They are slow but very good and reliable. Have you considered an Amarok. Totota, Isuzu, Ford, Amarok, Triton. All good vehicles when maintained.

I've managed quite a lot of fleet vehicles in my career and they were driven by various drivers (good and bad), and from experience you cannot go wrong with a Hilux especially with a FSH. I don't want to mention all the bad vehicles we had but lately the GWM is the worst because of spares availability and the dealerships not able to pinpoint the exact issue (especially regarding faulty sensors) causing the vehicle to be out of service for weeks at a time (bad for any business)

All our vehicles always had a load of at least 350kg and two persons. At one time one of my Amaroks, in Durban, had to be unloaded because it was to heavy for the lift at the dealership, also a reliable vehicle.

I would go with the Isuzu and have some money left for some upgrades.

Tried and tested, the Isuzu will give you years of joy.
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I think you on the right track but i believe there are beter deals to be had out there than the ones listed
    Be a little patient, dont rush the purchase.
    Go drive each brand in the price you looking at..Decide what you like and start looking at deals of that one brand. Makes it much easier when you dont have to try negotiate 3-4 different brands when looking and you will find a good deal easier

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

That makes sense thanks for the insight Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I think you on the right track but i believe there are beter deals to be had out there than the ones listed
    Be a little patient, dont rush the purchase.
    Go drive each brand in the price you looking at..Decide what you like and start looking at deals of that one brand. Makes it much easier when you dont have to try negotiate 3-4 different brands when looking and you will find a good deal easier
    Very good advice if I my say so and Peter Connan is right, most people's advice will be subjective.

Yes the Triton and Amarok are very good vehicles too. There are no bad vehicles in your group with these 2 added, rather maybe lemons amongst them, of any brand.

My advice is on a similar line as Mr G - take your time, go drive each and see which ones you like/don't like (don't get stuck on 1 specific vehicle's faults either). Then look for those types with a FSH or a vehicle of which you/your mates know the owner, but also with FSH, so you can check it out without "pressure" (like you seem to place on yourself now). Enjoy the search!
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

My confirmation bias says:

Buy a Triton
    There are a few okes with lot of kms on the WhatsApp groups I am on

One guy has done 500,000 km and I think he replaced the suspension.

You could probably get a 2013 for R250, 000

From your list I would take the Isuzu, then the Toyota.....and then the Mitsu Triton
    FJC - Just Cruising

I would hold out for a newer and lower mileage Isuzu. Always felt they were honest bakkies, not even Hilux okes question their reliability
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Thank you @all for the detailed responses. Keeping each in mind going forward. Overall consensus, taking in account the advice from this community and others, Isuzu & Hilux should be my options.

That being said, should you know of anyone in the Western Cape selling either a KB250 4x4 / Hilux 4x4 with FSH within my budget, feel free to refer them to me. Send me a private message and I'll gladly share my mobile nr.

Thanks again for the advice!

You might have to expand your search to national.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...on=RetailPrice

If you need to keep it for 5 years, and say you expecting to do 25000km per year I personally think you will be mad to look at any vehicle with more than 100k/120k on the clock.

Personally I am allergic to high mileage used vehicles, everybody always says yes but the engine is good for 500k km, but what about all the other moving parts!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post: