Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tourist killed Kafue National Park

I just received a video where a tourist got killed when an elephant attacked a safari drive vehicle. 2 other tourists evacuated to Lusaka.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tourist killed Kafue National Park

I dont know why the driver stopped the vehicle.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    My question exactly…. Shouting hey, hey, hey to an aggro ellie is not going to work!

He ran out of road. The followup pics show the road/track ends with only bush ahead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20240402-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	1816 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	718531

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Very sad

One can only wonder what made the Ellie so upset? Does anyone know if the tourist was killed from the overturning of the truck, or if the Ellie kept attacking?

Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Bellissimo!
    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 (sold)
    Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (sold but still near to me)
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Very sad

One can only wonder what made the Ellie so upset? Does anyone know if the tourist was killed from the overturning of the truck, or if the Ellie kept attacking?
    Speculation from me: It looks like he might have come around to the open side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tusker.PNG 
Views:	383 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	718557  

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    My question exactly…. Shouting hey, hey, hey to an aggro ellie is not going to work!
    This was the same response from the recent Pilanesberg incident where the Ellie lifted the larger vehicle a number of times.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

We were in Kafue some years back and found the elies very very agressive. Research after determined that there were widespread and almost uncontrolled poaching issues present and the ellies were unstable as a result. We had a good few closhish shaves with lone eli running like the one in the video. Run for a long way to get to 4x4s and not giving up. We became extra vigilant.

Not sure now, but could explain it maybe.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Letter from Wilderness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39cbd39a-312b-47be-a623-4e5f75fc4e61.jpg 
Views:	1100 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	718582  

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Letter from Wilderness
    Maybe a bigger picture ? Even zooming in I can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNW View Post
    Maybe a bigger picture ? Even zooming in I can't read.
    Sorry, it isn’t coming through clearly and it is the only copy I have.

Basically they are saying the driver ran out of road and could drive no further.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

It was a matter of time. Very sad for the parties involved, but there were just too many close shave incidents lately!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    We were in Kafue some years back and found the elies very very agressive. Research after determined that there were widespread and almost uncontrolled poaching issues present and the ellies were unstable as a result. We had a good few closhish shaves with lone eli running like the one in the video. Run for a long way to get to 4x4s and not giving up. We became extra vigilant.

Not sure now, but could explain it maybe.
    Uncontrolled poaching as Ed said is the biggest problem in Zambian parks. I was close by when a loge owner's girlfriend was trampled to death and it is a sound I will never forget. Poaching will increase now with the drought whilst people try to survive to the next season.

Kafue ellies are forsure not circus ellies and it will happen again and again!

So stay clear of them, be very alert and always make sure you have an escape route ....you cannot afford to run out of "runway" in the Kafue

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mfuwefarmer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Uncontrolled poaching as Ed said is the biggest problem in Zambian parks. I was close by when a loge owner's girlfriend was trampled to death and it is a sound I will never forget. Poaching will increase now with the drought whilst people try to survive to the next season.

Kafue ellies are forsure not circus ellies and it will happen again and again!

So stay clear of them, be very alert and always make sure you have an escape route ....you cannot afford to run out of "runway" in the Kafue

Yup, right.

Will be there later this month and need to adjust as here in Bots we are used to go very close to them, not so in Zam, where we have to give them space.

A mock attack in Bots might be the real thing in Zam
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    It was a matter of time. Very sad for the parties involved, but there were just too many close shave incidents lately!
    It would be interesting to see if the increase in the number of incidents correlates with an increase in the number of visitors and or an increase in the incidents of poaching.

I suspect that, like the increase in overlanding/overlanders, that there is also an increase in the number of visitors, as indicated by the increase in the number of operators and concessions in many parks. Whether or not this increase is a contributor is unknown but it would definitely lead to an increase in the frequency of human/animal contact over a given period.

Kafue reported a 20% increase in tourists in 2023 over 2022 (16 000 compared to 12 000 in 2022).

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

The more guests the more animals calm down as they become used to them. But it still leaves a gap for a rogue incident, which statistically will be higher with increased visitor numbers.

It should also lead to a decrease in poaching, more activity, eyes and all that.
    Last edited by RobH; 2024/04/03 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    Yeah, he should have shouted FOOOOOOTSACK...
    RechardT

Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Letter from Wilderness
    Text extracted from the above:

INCIDENT AT LUFUPA ON 30 MARCH 2024

Wilderness can today confirm that an 80-year-old female American guest was tragically killed by a bull elephant while on a game drive at its Kafue National Park destination in Zambia on Saturday (SUBS: 30 March). Another female guest was also injured in this incident, when an aggressive bull elephant charged the vehicle carrying six guests and a guide who were on a game drive from Lufupa Camp. The injured guest was taken to a private medical facility in South Africa while the other four guests received treatment for minor injuries. Trauma counselling has been provided to all involved.

“At around 09h30 on Saturday the six guests were on the game drive when the vehicle was unexpectedly charged by the bull elephant. Our guides are all extremely well trained and experienced, but sadly in this instance the terrain and vegetation was such that the guide’s route became blocked and he could not move the vehicle out of harm’s way quickly enough” says Keith Vincent, Wilderness Chief Executive Officer.

Vincent says Kafue National Park management were immediately called to assist and that they dispatched a helicopter to the scene. Given the nature of the incident, the Police, the Department of National Parks & Wildlife, and other authorities are involved in investigating the matter. Wilderness is cooperating fully with this process.

“This is a tragic event and we extend our deepest condolences to the family of the guest who died. We are also, naturally, supporting those guests and the guide involved in this distressing incident. Out of sympathy to the family of the deceased and the other parties involved, it is requested that parties refrain from distributing any images or video footage of the incident on social media.”

“Meanwhile our teams will continue to support the family of the deceased, as well those guests and staff impacted by this event. We will also be guided by the Zambian Government on the way forward” says Vincent

The deceased will be repatriated to her family in the USA with the support of local Zambian authorities and the US Embassy in Lusaka.

About Wilderness
    Founded more than 40 years ago, Wilderness is a leading conservation and hospitality company focussing on immersing guests in a range of different environments located in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Kenya, Rwanda, and Tanzania. Wilderness is part of a global collective working to conserve the world’s iconic wilderness areas that are unfenced, untamed, and unpredictable. Wilderness currently helps conserve six million acres of land across its eight destinations.

For media enquiries contact:
    Tarryn Gibson, Group Head of Communications:0027 (0)11 257 5000
    [email protected]
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

It would be interesting to see if the increase in the number of incidents correlates with an increase in the number of visitors and or an increase in the incidents of poaching.

I suspect that, like the increase in overlanding/overlanders, that there is also an increase in the number of visitors, as indicated by the increase in the number of operators and concessions in many parks. Whether or not this increase is a contributor is unknown but it would definitely lead to an increase in the frequency of human/animal contact over a given period.

Kafue reported a 20% increase in tourists in 2023 over 2022 (16 000 compared to 12 000 in 2022).

Keyword:

A new record -

........sorry missed the message
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Not good. Know that feeling!

We had a elephant cow chased us in Gonarezhou park. Some elephants were standing in the track and blocked us, they did not wanted to move, and when I came closer a cow started coming towards the us at full speed. I reversed a few meters but realized its not going to work, then put in first and make a U-turn just in front of the ellie, full revs. Luckily there was an opening in the bush allowing me to make a U-turn. She chased us for another 100m or so. The next day we saw them again. A small calf had a snare on one foot. Since then we are very cautiously of their actions.
    Johan Kriel

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast