Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Minimal Power Installation

    Hi Everyone

    I am a new member of the jimny tribe and I am overwhelmed with all the possible modifications and accessories that lay before me. That being said my question is this: I want to run very little off of any power from the vehicle, dual battery or otherwise. I don't want to install a fridge (too much space) nor run lights if the vehicle is not running (the whole point of camping is to get away from the lights as much as possible). All I want to install is one light bar for extra visibility whilst driving for the sake of safety and two anderson plugs for a compressor. Can I run all of this from the main battery if the vehicle is running? Are there any other critical powered components/options I am overlooking? Main goal is to use the vehicle for "light" overlanding. Probably 1 week maximum.

    Would appreciate any and all feedback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,288
    Thanked: 504

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    It would be quite simple to install a set of cables with fuses for a harrison/anderson connector in the load area.

    I would then just install the largest capacity battery u could fit in the engine bay

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Albury
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    In that case I'd be putting in a larger battery, it's not 100% necessary but it does provide a little extra fudge factor.
    One mob out my way does a no drill battery conversion mentioned for running a bigger battery for a winch, but if you put something like that in with a dual purpose battery so you have drinking and a bit more draw then you should be in good shape.

    A lot will depend on the size of the light and compressor, if you run them only when the engine is on then you probably don't need to change anything.

    But definitely carry a small lithium jump start unit, it's a heap of reassurance to have.

    In your situation a dual battery wouldn't help anyway, you shouldn't run driving lights, winches, compressors ect off of a second battery anyway. The draw is too much, they need need that constant alternator power.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,535
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Before fitting a light bar - learn about the rules - 99% of lightbar installs are wrong and open you up to being stopped / fined / bribing your way out of a situation you dont even need to get yourself into
    work out the possible amp draw of accessories before even worrying about a different / bigger battery

    also only buy what you really really will use - not because some salesman said - never trust the opinion of someone you are about to give money to......

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,122
    Thanked: 4301

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    Before fitting a light bar - learn about the rules - 99% of lightbar installs are wrong and open you up to being stopped / fined / bribing your way out of a situation you dont even need to get yourself into
    work out the possible amp draw of accessories before even worrying about a different / bigger battery

    also only buy what you really really will use - not because some salesman said - never trust the opinion of someone you are about to give money to......
    Lightbars are illegal….many threads about this. I had one on my Jimny and was forced to remove it at a roadblock but still got a fine although the fitment centre fitted it legally.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,071
    Thanked: 4218

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Sounds like you dont need a dual battery system and your lights and compressor options will work just fine if the car is running powered by the alternator.

    Maybe a tiny portable power pack just to charge a camera/phone/laptop at camp and get some lights while you are cooking or cleaning at night kind of thing. Add a decent headlamp with red light option and for your needs you should be sorted.
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    54
    Posts
    940
    Thanked: 271

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Might be worth running one power cable from main battery via a relay switched from the ignition for the power points in the back.
    That way you can't accidentally leave something on and kill the main battery.
    It does mean that your ignition will have to be on for the power point to work though.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to kippie2 For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    711
    Thanked: 766

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Harle View Post
    Hi Everyone

    I am a new member of the jimny tribe and I am overwhelmed with all the possible modifications and accessories that lay before me. That being said my question is this: I want to run very little off of any power from the vehicle, dual battery or otherwise. I don't want to install a fridge (too much space) nor run lights if the vehicle is not running (the whole point of camping is to get away from the lights as much as possible). All I want to install is one light bar for extra visibility whilst driving for the sake of safety and two anderson plugs for a compressor. Can I run all of this from the main battery if the vehicle is running? Are there any other critical powered components/options I am overlooking? Main goal is to use the vehicle for "light" overlanding. Probably 1 week maximum.

    Would appreciate any and all feedback.
    You don't need a second battery. But as noted by others, light bars are not legal in South Africa.

    Rather find a pair of nice spots and make sure they comply with local legislation.

    They should be a certain distance apart (I can't remember how much) and should only be able to be activated when your headlights are set to bright IIRC.
    Last edited by CraigWatt; 2024/04/02 at 03:32 PM.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi

    Shortly taking wing..


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,535
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Lightbars are illegal….many threads about this. I had one on my Jimny and was forced to remove it at a roadblock but still got a fine although the fitment centre fitted it legally.
    yip thats what I am warning about

    there are some lightbars that are legal (seperation etc) and then fitted in accordance with height / split etc - hence my 99% comment - as there are some that are legal but 99% are illegal and will lead to drawing unwanted attention

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Thanks Everyone for the great feedback! My takeaway is that I might reconsider the lightbar/look for something legal. I think I will proceed with the anderson plug power install. Would this be a feasible project to take on myself (I think my electrical skills are more or less okay) or should even a small project like this be left for the professionals? Would they even take on such a small project?

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,071
    Thanked: 4218

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Regarding bars and spots as I just went through this exercise :

    The front of a vehicle must have an even number of lights on left and right.
    A vehicle cannot have more than 6 headlights, including stock.
    No lights may be placed higher than 1400mm from the ground.
    No light may be placed higher than the leading edge of the bonnet.
    No light may be placed across the vertical median of a vehicle. This is what makes LED bars illegal.
    All lights must be in a working order. Even if they are covered or disconnected, still illegal.
    Spots cannot be adjustable.

    They are only illegal because our law hasnt caught up with the rest of the world, that is probably why it isnt enforced so much. But you just need that one cop in a bad mood.

    https://www.arrivealive.mobi/lightin...es-of-the-road
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanked: 5929

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    Regarding bars and spots as I just went through this exercise :

    The front of a vehicle must have an even number of lights on left and right.
    A vehicle cannot have more than 6 headlights, including stock.
    No lights may be placed higher than 1400mm from the ground.
    No light may be placed higher than the leading edge of the bonnet.
    No light may be placed across the vertical median of a vehicle. This is what makes LED bars illegal.
    All lights must be in a working order. Even if they are covered or disconnected, still illegal.
    Spots cannot be adjustable.

    They are only illegal because our law hasnt caught up with the rest of the world, that is probably why it isnt enforced so much. But you just need that one cop in a bad mood.

    https://www.arrivealive.mobi/lightin...es-of-the-road
    Yes. It's a pet gripe of mine - seeing some of the folk driving around with the terra-watt light set ups. Normally a light bar on the leading edge of the bonnet and 60 spots mounted on the roll bar...

    Whilst my truck is legal in all aspects in terms of lights and driving lights, I gathered the other day that my work light on the back of my roof rack is actually technically illegal. I shall remedy this...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2024/04/04 at 10:22 AM.
    Ian de Villiers

    Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edenglen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,663
    Thanked: 801

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Could a case be made for a rear worklight being an extra reverse lamp?

    I had 2 roofrack-mounted led lamps on the back of my Defender, that were wired to come on when in reverse, but could also be switched on and off independently of the reverse lamp (which I might add was useless, as there was no way to see through the canopy).
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048



    2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,071
    Thanked: 4218

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    Could a case be made for a rear worklight being an extra reverse lamp?

    I had 2 roofrack-mounted led lamps on the back of my Defender, that were wired to come on when in reverse, but could also be switched on and off independently of the reverse lamp (which I might add was useless, as there was no way to see through the canopy).
    They are higher than 1400mm and you cannot have white light at the back, only red. But again so many people have rear working lights for camping and such.
    My last Ford Ranger came with one stock so I dont know how that is legal. Maybe because it only shines in the load bin, was very dim and could not be permanently switched on?

    "Also, bear in mind that spotlights that emit white light – or those with a blue tinge – are permitted only at the front of a vehicle, while spotlights that emit red light are allowed only at the rear. So, the backward facing white spotlight you have fixed to your 4×4 to illuminate your camp site in the bush is illegal."
    https://www.getaway.co.za/brand-feat...s-and-the-law/
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Albury
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    We had a similar rule here about light bars, I fould a way around it by putting an inch or two of black duck tape in the middle making it 2 lights.

    That was the only way to get it passed rego when it went over the pit.

    But your definitely safer off with spotlights by the sounds of it.

    If you are going to wire anything up to the rear, have it connected to the axillary circuit with a relay like lights.
    That way you can't forget about something and end up with a flat battery at an inconvenient time.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,071
    Thanked: 4218

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob9863 View Post
    We had a similar rule here about light bars, I fould a way around it by putting an inch or two of black duck tape in the middle making it 2 lights.

    That was the only way to get it passed rego when it went over the pit.

    But your definitely safer off with spotlights by the sounds of it.

    If you are going to wire anything up to the rear, have it connected to the axillary circuit with a relay like lights.
    That way you can't forget about something and end up with a flat battery at an inconvenient time.
    Light bars are legal in Aus though? And they have to be center mounted...
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Albury
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Minimal Power Installation

    Not always, they got their act together but when lightbars were new there were the usual teething problems and were regarded as off road only for a period.
    At least in the state I moved to after I got one fitted and has to pass a roadworthy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •