western zambia and kafue

Default western zambia and kafue

we are 2 land rovers leaving greyton w/cape in on aug 3rd going via botswana to zambia ,visiting sioma ngwezi,liuwa and kafue before leaving via livingstone and returning through caprivi and namibia,just a couple of questions,can you camp outside the north of kafue so that you can travel into the busanga plains or is the only alternative camping at lufupa? Secondly mainly for the wife how bad are the mossies and tetsis at this time of year regards LES

Les,

Have you got more precise dates than those? I am going to be in the same sort of area as you from about the 12th of August......

As for mossies and tsetses......do a search for tsetses, because I started a thread on here a couple of months back, and it is full of really useful information. Mossies.........always assume the worst. They are the most dangerous animal in Africa by a mile, and you should always assume that everywhere is mossie hell.........IMO.

Maybe see you on the road.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

cheers mike willbe crossing at katimo at about aug 10th heading via sioma ngwezi up to liuwa for the 13th and then on to kafue.Have put a photo on my profile of our bluetd5 from deception valley 2006.would be good to meet up and discuss rugby and we both support the right rugby team. I'm from Yorkshire !!!!!

Les,

It looks as though I am going to be about 4 days behind you on the first leg.........but we're hanging around Kafue for a quite a while. We may go up to Liuwa, and we are going to Busanga.

Stay in touch........we can make a plan!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Les, there are no camps near the plains - Lufupa is your best bet then you can make a day trip up there. If you look at my map I posted a while back you will see that McBride's is an alternative camp for you up north.

Please let me know if you want to spend a night or two here at Mukambi and yes, let's try get together. Stay in touch!

By-the-way, keep an eye on this forum for updates on access to Liuwa as it isn't looking good. I am waiting for Craig from Liuwa to give me an update.

many thanks Thirstie will keep looking, all our plans are a bit up in the air at the moment but we like a challenge so we will be coming to Zambia and would more than likely come past your way on our way down.keep in touch LES

A bit too late to respond to the the question by landy les. I have been to Kafue in 2004. Lofupa was the only campsite available. There were other campsites but has fallen into disrepair(ran by the government) Lofupa is privately owned. We also stayed at McBrides. Lovely camp but the access road is terrible.

Mosquitos were no problem but the tsetse flies were bad. Fortunately they only stay in the wooded ares. Once you move out into the open they disappear. According to information I received before the trip the tsetses are attracted to dark blue and black moving objects. I arrived there with my dark blue colt and they picked me out between the other 4x4's

thanks awb we just got back yesterday and we had a fabulous time ,I shall be making a report later. les