Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amarok on heat

Default Re: Amarok on heat

In die ou dae het ons die heater oop gemaak dan het die koue water die temp afgebring, dan weer toe gemaak as die cab vuurwarm word.
    Dis nog voor aircons,so nat lappie om die nek.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

Unbelievably impressive Erwin considering the loads you pull and the high Temps you go through.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

My 2.0 is on a measly 196k km. I have the exact opposite problem - had the EGR blanked and stage 1 programmed. Now the engine runs cold sometimes. It often only rises to 70C instead of 90C. But then sometimes it does go up to normal temp, and I cannot figure out why and when.

Have a look at the viscous coupling on the fan. I had a similar problem with the Pajero and it turned out to be a dry coupling.
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Sprite Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    In die ou dae het ons die heater oop gemaak dan het die koue water die temp afgebring, dan weer toe gemaak as die cab vuurwarm word.
    Dis nog voor aircons,so nat lappie om die nek.
    By ons werk dit nie. Ons gebruik die heater om ons af te koel

I had a short drirt road on Friday. 20km from Gochas side to the tar road at Stampriet. 10km from start, I had a puncher on the trailer and had to stop and replace. Tyre gone. Side wall cut by a stone. New tyre 195R14C. They are 1600.00 and by new I mean they did 410km. When I stopped, I cheded to see if the fan was working. It was running, but I will check the coupling as well.

For towing you used to be able to get an electric fan switch (the one that takes the water temp to turn the fan on) that switched you fan on at 78 degrees instead of 87 degrees That was a standard swap out if you towed with your car. It kept the temperature low when towing and really helped if you went uphill. The engine works a lot harder when towing, hence the extra heat. This gets worse the older the motor is.

So it would switch on the fan at a 9 degree lower temperature than standard. This switch would just replace the standard brass switch on the bottom of your radiator, at the lower radiator outlet pipe. You can leave it in all the time, no need to change it back when not towing.

This was available from any spares shop (like Midas). The temp that it switches on at, is normally stamped on the unit.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/03/24 at 10:40 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Selling not on the cards. It is still mint. There are small things to attend to but still cheaper than a new one and this one is driving like other bakkie I had and looks new with jot single rattle and it spend most of it's live on dirt roads. If injectors, should it not get heavy on fuel. I have a full fuel record of this vehicle since day 1. Constant up to now.
    Amaroks is tough little buggers,my Transporters were running in excess of 650 000kms on them and my oldest Rok on 540 000 103kw and still very reliable.

Just check fan coupling,clean radiators . If theres no water leaks or loss then leave the injectors as is if one of them go you will notice the vibration or rough shaking on your Rok.

Maybe remove your EGR completeley ,well i did that on 60000kms and no troubles.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 TDi
    2017 Toyota Prado 3.0 D4D VX

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The TRANSPORTER For This Useful Post:

Overfuelling.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

Sorry, I have nothing to add except that I find it very heartening to hear the high mileage some of you guys are racking up. Especially in tough conditions...
    Rob Kirk

Old Wheeler

Amarok V6.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Had a transporter 2.5 5 cylinder 128kW, 2006 model. A donkey took it out one night at Ruacana. That was my best bakkie ever. Slept in it many times. Had 400k on the clock when the donkey took it out. Bought Amarok as a replacement in 2013.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    My 2.0 is on a measly 196k km. I have the exact opposite problem - had the EGR blanked and stage 1 programmed. Now the engine runs cold sometimes. It often only rises to 70C instead of 90C. But then sometimes it does go up to normal temp, and I cannot figure out why and when.
    The ID10T removed your thermostat. Standard 'backyarder'' gospel trick. Put it back, you will shorten the motor life if not.

To me it seems everything is working as it should, but the removal of heat is compromised. Overfuelling is not the problem as you say consumption is still good. I would replace the viscous coupling if it has one and also replace coolant with the right mix as specified. For good measure, change thermostat and check radiator pressure and main electric fan sensor.
    Last edited by Pieter de Waal; 2024/03/26 at 12:19 PM.

Ek het n hele paar jaar gelede dieselfde oorgekom met n Amarok nadat ek vol diesel gemaak het in Springbok. Ons was op n lang trip deur Namibia oppad terug na PTA. Ek het weer volgemaak in Upington en die probleem was weg. n Bietjie "leke" navorsing na die tyd het gedui op die oktaan van die diesel wat die flashpoint beheer kan die verbranding beinvloed. Ek is baie bang vir die deesdae se nuus dat parraffien onwettig by diesel gegooi word deur dicey suppliers. Dit kan die flashpoint van diesel ook verander wat ontbranding ook kan beinvloed en n enjin laar warm loop. Sou graag wil hoor wat n expert hiervan se.
    Ek het weer onlangs n tweede 2L Tdi Amarok (vorige shape) gekoop en stem saam oor hulle kwaliteit. Ek wil nie n nuwe threat begin nie maar ek sal hom moeilik ruil vir n nuwe.
    Last edited by Christof; 2024/03/28 at 03:16 PM.
    Christof

2021 Amarok TDI

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christof For This Useful Post:

Is an Amarok on heat better than an Amarok in heat?

I'll see myself out now.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Is an Amarok on heat better than an Amarok in heat?

I'll see myself out now.
    One is male, the other female

The Rocky has not run hot in a while, but then I have not pulled a large load of a long distance in a while. Tomorrow, it will be tested. 2 ton and 300km to go. 50% dirt roads. The shocks were totally done. Replace with Bilstein B6. The EFS did a good job. Could not find any shocks locally. All 14-day delivery. Ordered from Miken. 3 days delivered to transport company in JHB. 2 days later it was delivered to my door at 10km outside Okahandja. Also, replace two CV boots that started leaking.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post

Hallo

Mine did the same at some point. Thermostat was stuck 'open'. Replaced, and it got to running temp as normal again.
    2017 V6 Volkswagen Amarok - What a machine!
    2011 2L Bi-TDi 4 Motion Volkswagen Amarok - Die staatmaker.
    Was meant to be replaced, but did not allow me to sell it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to idea40 For This Useful Post:

Towed a load yestersay. On hilly sections, the temp goes to 110 but stays there and comes back fast to 90 when the engine is not working hard. Away for 3 weeks will have the egr removed when I am back. I just take it easy for now.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Towed a load yestersay. On hilly sections, the temp goes to 110 but stays there and comes back fast to 90 when the engine is not working hard. Away for 3 weeks will have the egr removed when I am back. I just take it easy for now.
    On my Transporter 132kw 2.0diesel I also go to 106, or slightly higher, when towing hot days on long uphills. Come back quickly to around 87-90 when on flat ground again. This was like this from when I bought the vehicle on 30000kms, now on 160000kms. Looks like the 2.0 tdi 132kw, in the Transporter at least, run a bit hight temps. My bus does not even have a temp guage and I get the readings from an OBDII dongle. The warning light for high temps has never come on during these temps, so if I did not have the OBDII I would not even know that the temps ran highish. I see most cars these days are marked to 120deg C on the temp guage and not showing it as RED. I think with the presurised system and good quality coolant that 110deg C is still very much within design specifications of modern day engines.

PS - Had the EGR removed at some stage and this did not make any noticable change on my coolant temps from before and after.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2