Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sesfontein to Puros via Hoanib River

Anybody recently done this. I tried to enter the Hoanib from Sesfontein but the soft dusty sand was too thick and I had to turn back.
    I am planning to try again in May 24. Maybe I entered at the wrong spot - any advice or way points and advice...please.
    See attached route map
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sesfontein na Hoanib.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	716095  
    Toyota Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab Auto

Default Re: Sesfontein to Puros via Hoanib River

Only way to enter from this side is through the powder.
    There are no alternatives.

It's better the other way, coming up from Skeletton coast or down from Kaokoland and exit at Sesfontein. Then the fun part is already on memory and you can star the cleaning process
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Also consider coming in or leaving via the Ganamub River tributary 4x4 trail, it's a stunning drive.

Edit: Track Pic removed, find your own way there.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2024/03/07 at 06:34 PM.

No need to drive through the "dust bowl". Drive further north along the D3707 until you get to the Ganamub river. Turn down the Ganumub until you meet the Hoanib river at the "Poort". Will see if I still have my waypoints handy.
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

5. The Following User Says Thank You to riaande For This Useful Post:

See Searcher beat me to it whilst typing
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

Ja, been through "the dust bowl" many years back. Quite an experience.
    2010 Eagle Head 5.7 hemi, 2" OME, cats removed, full MDS delete

Quote Originally Posted by riaande View Post
    No need to drive through the "dust bowl". Drive further north along the D3707 until you get to the Ganamub river. Turn down the Ganumub until you meet the Hoanib river at the "Poort". Will see if I still have my waypoints handy.
    Great thanx - much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by dah View Post
    great thanx - much appreciated
    ot
    Last edited by LCamper; 2024/03/07 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Only way to enter from this side is through the powder.
    There are no alternatives.

It's better the other way, coming up from Skeletton coast or down from Kaokoland and exit at Sesfontein. Then the fun part is already on memory and you can star the cleaning process
    That loks like a good option - where do I then turn East towards Hoanib - near Mowe Bay?
    Do you perhaps have a way point?

Quote Originally Posted by DAH View Post
    That loks like a good option - where do I then turn East towards Hoanib - near Mowe Bay?
    That's not what he is saying, he is saying it's better to drive from West to East and leave the dust section for last.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

We were through there a month ago .
    The wind has blown all the fesh fesh out, itís an easy drive down to the gate at the moment.

We spent 10 days in the Hoanib at the end of Feb and made a trip to Puros

there are two routes out of the riverbed we used

DO NOT use the West most route. It is rutted beyond belief

use the canyon routes via the fairy circles and fearless pass

Quote Originally Posted by NigelFromZim View Post
    We spent 10 days in the Hoanib at the end of Feb and made a trip to Puros

there are two routes out of the riverbed we used

DO NOT use the West most route. It is rutted beyond belief

use the canyon routes via the fairy circles and fearless pass
    Thanx for this - do have way points for the entrance exit of river beds?

That looks like a good option - where do I then turn East towards Hoanib - near Mowe Bay?
    No, you turn into the Uniab riverbed just North of Torra Bay. (there is a pump station for water feeding Terrace Bay about 200 meters East from main road clearly visible above some reed)

Enter and follow the riverbed and exit it on the Northern side where you see the purple dunes to the right, roughly 8-9 kms from starting point.
    The track then follows the Skeletton Coast dune belt behind through a series of flats and water flow depressions until you reach a riverbed with a right turn gradually climbing the dry riverbed until you reach a few drums along the way. You are now inside the Palwag concession area the track becomes more visible and will be passing a permanent water source (Hunkab) lead you to the Mudarib water shed.
    Descending the Mudarib riverbed you join the Hoanib at a pumped water point just a few kilometers (5-6) upriver from Amspoort.

If you are interested in this adventure send me a PM and I can try to dig out the GPS routing from some years ago.
    I made 3 days (2 overnights) in this area with some Oryx, Springbok and Zebras around, mainly territorial to Hunkab water source.

Warning: Do not try this without a backup vehicle as the 2 times I did this within 6 months, my tracks were the only ones still visible.

Legal issues: This "road" route is marked on older Namibia road maps and part of the "public road network", seldom used and seasonal. The Palmwag people only asked me which side of the river did I camp, to charge me the fee accordingly on exit toward Sesfontein.
    Check point not always manned.

Edit:
    Upload of map capture for illustration
    Distance of whole leg ~110 kms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240318_140340.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	717114  
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2024/03/18 at 02:08 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Thanx for this - do have way points for the entrance exit of river beds?
    I do have the track log,
    Pm me with email address.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Kalahari Safari, you do realise that the route you are recommending and providing details of is forbidden and illegal to travel on.
    It traverses through the Skeleton Coast National Park and is a no-go area.

If you happen to be caught by anti-poaching rangers or park officials, things can go pear-shaped for you very fast.

Last edited by Searcher; 2024/03/21 at 11:12 AM.

A reminder of the Skeleton Park Rules and Regulations, for those tempted to stray.

Nature Conservation Ordinance 4 of 1975-Regulations 1976-0240

Extract:

(E) SKELETON COAST PARK

36. Without the written permission of the Executive Committee, no person except an officer acting directly in the execution of his duties or in the exercise of his powers, shall -

(a) drive a vehicle in the Skeleton Coast Park on any road which is not a proclaimed thoroughfare between 22h00 and 06h00;

(b) throw away, place or get rid of fish, any part of a fish, bait, refuse or rubbish at any other place than in the containers or dust bins provided for that purpose unless by placing it on a vehicle and removing it from the game park;

(c) break a bottle at any place in the park or cause or allow it to be broken and leave the pieces there;

(d) place, throw out or leave hooks or lines with bait at any place in the park where it may be picked up by sea birds for any other purpose than angling;

(e) stay overnight at any place in the park, whether inside or outside the angling area other than on an officially designated camping site;

(f) turn up at camping sites after 22h00 or leave them before 06h00;

(g) clean fish at any place in the park other than that specially provided therefor;

(h) relieve himself at any place within the camping area in the park other than in the officially designated sanitary conveniences;

(j) erect any building or construction in the park, without the permission of the officer on duty;

(k) fail or neglect to break down and remove any building or construction erected by him on his departure;

(l) kill or butcher any slaughter animal or poultry except at the officially designated slaughter places.

(m) leave the rest camp at Terrace Bay or the camping site at Torra Bay after 15h00 with the purpose of going to Swakopmund, or across the control point at the Uchab River after 15h00 with the purpose of going to the rest camp at Terrace Bay or the camping site at Torra Bay;

(n) if he is camping at Torra Bay, enter the angling area at Terrace Bay unless a permit to visit Terrace Bay has been obtained in advance;

(o) enter the angling area at Terrace Bay by vehicle or travel in the angling area by vehicle except on the road constructed for this purpose and which is indicated by a notice board;

(p) opposite of the angling area at Terrace Bay move further than one kilometre east of the main thoroughfare;

(q) spend the night at Terrace Bay in the angling area;

(r) prepare food of any kind in any room (except in a luxury dwelling house) at Terrace Bay;

(s) boil water in any manner and for any purpose whatsoever in any room (except in a luxury dwelling house) at Terrace Bay;

(t) fish in any manner other than with a rod, reel, line and hook in the Skeleton Coast Park;

(u) use more than two hooks on any line when angling in the Skeleton Coast Park;

(v) in the Skeleton Coast Park angle in any place other than the angling area;

(w) enter the Skeleton Coast Park by motorcycle, as described in the Road Traffic Ordinance, 1967 (Ordinance 30 of 1967) or ride a motorcycle there;

(x) make any fire at any place other than at the officially designated fire-places provided for that purpose.

(y) if he is visiting the Unjab-delta, drive a vehicle at any place within the Unjab-delta or walk at any place within the Unjab-delta other than within that area demarcated by notice boards for walking purposes;

(z) if he is visiting the dunes east of the camping area at Torra Bay, drive a vehicle at any place other than within the area demarcated by notice boards for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Kalahari Safari, you do realise that the route you are recommending and providing details of is forbidden and illegal to travel on.
    It traverses through the Skeleton Coast National Park and is a no-go area.

If you happen to be caught by anti-poaching rangers or park officials, things can go pear-shaped for you very fast.

This is not really the case.

Look at my map copy in above post, it s a clear public road and it turns off within the SC NP so when entering from Hentjesbay you have the permit to be in the park.
    There is also not restrictive signing on the Torra Bay side disallowing entry into Uniab riverbed. Another exit track going straight up to Palmwag when you don't leave the Uniab earlier as in my case.

When I did this trip first time I encountered a film team doing "dune-to-coast" documentary with handicapped (wheel chair bound) people coming down from Palmwag concession.
    We talked to the guide and leader and he was of the opinion we need a permit (we had the entry permit from the gate), but when we exited at Sesfontein check point they just charged us the camping fees.
    Similar when we did it the other way round and exited at the gate on the Hentjesbay road , just billed you for the time in the park although we didn't have an entry permit.

The anti poaching units for that part are a myth, in the 6 months between my trips mine were the only tracks.

Edit:
    I see the efforts of spoiling the fun with hard facts.
    Now in this case I was either lucky (and ignorant) but when we exited on Torra Bay side on the 2nd crossing, there were park people busy at the pump station and we chatted to them like no harm and no concern.

Edit 2:
    Now I remember the first passage when discussing it with the rangers at Terrace Bay after refuelling. (we stayed there for some stints to Moewe Bay and the surrounds)
    We explained the route we intend to drive (as above) and the time we thought it would take us and he volunteered to check on us if we made it by reporting the plan to Fort Sesfontein.
    We indeed got his message on arrival and signed off "mission completed - thank you" so no need to send a search party.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2024/03/21 at 11:56 AM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Methinks you know you are taking a chance, that is not a public road, nor a proclaimed thoroughfare and it is 100% prohibited for the public to drive that route. There is no need to debate that point any further.
    Motivating it's use on a public forum makes it even worse. Using an outdated erroneous map does not help either.

Anyway not wanting to start a fight, but it's folks traveling on these forbidden routes and breaking the rules that mess it up for the rest of us.
    It then only becomes a matter of time before regulations are tightened and travelling in Namibia becomes more controlled and restricted.

There are plenty of areas in Namibia to drive and explore and enjoy legally, there is no need to break the rules and regulations.

Edit: Ok, I see you added an edit.

Last edited by Searcher; 2024/03/21 at 12:22 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Also consider coming in or leaving via the Ganamub River tributary 4x4 trail, it's a stunning drive.

Edit: Track Pic removed, find your own way there.
    Just returned from the Huanib and Ganamub. Thanx for the info it was indeed a stunning drive. A must do.
    Stayed at elephant song camp. Great upgraded facilities.
    Also found the desert elephants, giraffe, zebra and springbuck.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DAH For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast