Mozambique / Zimbabwe borders post

Default Mozambique / Zimbabwe borders post

Any info on Mozambique / Zimbabwe borders?
    I need info on the border post at Machipanga and what accommodation on the Zimbabwe side. Will be in the area for max 5 days (Nov 2009)
    Any info of anther border posts between Mozambique / Zimbabwe please
    Nico Hough
    [email protected]

Nico, we've just returned (yesterday!) from 3 week trip Moz-Mal-Moz-Zim. My brother went through border at Nyamapanda (Tete to Harare). No problem, but it is fairly busy with truckers and busses. We went through Machipanda to Mutare. It was a breeze (5 minutes on Moz side and 20 min on Zim side). We camped at the municipal camp site outside Mutare (on road to Harare). The camp site is run down, but working toilets and showers, athough no hot water. Costs were $20 for camping (4 pax) and $3 for firewood (whole wheelbarrow full). Not the best, but workable. We noticed several lodges/motels (e.g. Wise Owl hotel on same road) which looked quite OK from outside.

Don't be pressurised by the "touts" / "runners" - these border posts are easy to navigate: first go to immigration and when you passport is stamped, just ask the official where to go next.

Just for interest's sake: we were not stopped once by Moz police ("transitos"), often in Malawi, but always friendly and business-like. Same in Zim. Not once asked for a bribe of any kind. And in both Malawi and Zim you need white reflective stickers on front of vehicle and red ones at back. If you are in Jozi area, I've got left-over pieces... :-)

Any other info you may require, just shout.

tjeers
    Andre

Thank you very much for the update roxenz. It helps a lot on deciding what route to take.

We are leaving Cape Town for Moz on the 1st of August and plan to drive back through Zimbabwe via the Machipanda border around the 17th.

Was there any petrol available in zimbabwe when you went through?

Alix

I didn't need to fill up in Zim (dual tanks) but saw vehicles being refuelled at most garages we passed by. In Mutare one BP station was dry and the other had about 25 cars queued up for fuel (but then there were 32 fuel tankers backed up at the border post, waiting to enter Zim). From own observations and what others who travelled thru Zim recently told me, I'd sum up: generally fuel is available (petrol more than diesel), but any town can run dry from time to time, since the delivery systems don't seem to be well sorted. So keep your tank always more than half full. Ironically, it is the main trucking routes that suffer the most diesel shortages. On the subsidiary routes we had no problems, even when Beira apparently ran out of fuel. The quieter roads are difficult to predict i.t.o. road surface condition, but they make for better and less stressful touring (if time isn't an overriding concern). I.e. we gave Maputo a miss and took the alternative dirt road. It is a bit shorter, but time-wise about the same as going thru Maputo - but you miss all the (from hearsay) corrupt transitos around Maputo, so less hassle/stress.