Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Safari self drive - rent Mitsubishi ASX AWD or Toyota Prado?

Hello,
    we are going to Kenya in 2nd half of June and are having a dilemma of which vehicle to rent.
    We are just two, so a smaller vehicle would in theory do. I have an offer from a reputable company for Mitsubishi RVR 2010 (or Toyota Vanguard 2012, but I doubt it would be more suited for us than ASX and it costs a bit more) and from another reputable company for Prado 120.
    Obviously, Prado is more than twice as expensive as the ASX an since Kenya is already pretty expensive vacation for us, this is of consideration.

Our itinerary is Amboseli - Samburu - Nakuru - Kakamega - Mara Triangle (Dirisha) + main reserve.
    I find mostly information that a small SUV such as RAV4 would be suitable, but sometimes someone claims that a full size car such as Prado is necessary. Where better to ask than here . I suspect that this forum will be quite biased towards a larger 4x4 (not sure if always 4wd Prado is actually a 4x4), but sincerely, would there be actually any drawback on our circuit and on game drives? We are going to public reserves only, so except for some places in Mara, off roading is not allowed. Fording rivers might not be possible in Mara, but I am not sure how much of an issue this is, especially in the Triangle (or if I would be willing to ford a river in Prado anyway). Also, I do not have any significant off road experience, only 4x4 roads on Iceland in Vitara and roads in Chilean Tierra del Fuego in Xtrail, so I am not keen on going off a road anyway.

Now I know Prado would be better and more safe, but the question is, is an ASX/RVR suitable? The difference means quite a lot of money for us, but we are willing to pay up, if it it justified.
    Could you please advise?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Asanoth; 2024/02/28 at 02:20 PM.

Default Re: Safari self drive - rent Mitsubishi ASX or Toyota Prado?

Regardless of the vehicle you choose, the first priority will be to fit the best off road tyres you can find.
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Regardless of the vehicle you choose, the first priority will be to fit the best off road tyres you can find.
    It's a rental, you get what you get.

Maybe see if a Jimny rental is possible..Perfect for 2 and very capable

Quote Originally Posted by Andre N View Post
    It's a rental, you get what you get.
    That I understand, but the rental company that does not "come to the party", should then be eliminated.
    Most rentals have hiway tyres fitted, which is a definite no-no for the proposed trip.
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    That I understand, but the rental company that does not "come to the party", should then be eliminated.
    Most rentals have hiway tyres fitted, which is a definite no-no for the proposed trip.
    Does not seem like you thought this through. Budget seems key here. He seems undecided between 4x2 and 4x4, this is a far cry from fitting R20k worth of mud terrains to a rental. (with all the legal implications excluded)

You might need a small vehicle but you need to consider the terrain, road conditions etc and if a standard vehicle will be efficient enough for the trip.You might be traveling on normal roads but a serious bout of rain etc can have you stuck in a normal vehicle.Just something to consider