Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Time for a change

By late afternoon I will no longer own a Toyota. May the next owner enjoy it as much as I did, he/ she is getting a very well looked after example.

Why the change?
    In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with the Hilux itself. It performed well, has an astonishingly good off-road TC system, very good fuel consumption, a comfortable interior and has never missed a beat.

Single cab: Interior space is compromised and larger valuables have always needed to ride under the tonneau cover. Never had a problem but eventually my luck would run out. It is also nice to have space to stow things you don't want to get dusty.

Mileage, age and value: Recently did the 120k KM service. I use my vehicle for work and will be travelling more in future. Yes, I am aware it can do huge mileage but it is also 5 years old now. Beyond this point the realisable value when selling is going to go downhill fast. New vehicles are not getting cheaper either so this is likely the best time to move to a new vehicle. I have already been shocked at the trade-in values offered on what amounts to a mint condition, FSH example. Let's just say the dealers are the ones who make money on these deals.

Security, safety and insurance: If there is one aspect of Toyota ownership I will not miss it would be the constant nagging feeling of dread in the back of my mind whenever I had to park in a public space. Like it or not these are desirable vehicles and as such are a high theft risk. Couple this to insane insurance rates (R2 100.00 per month) because I refuse to have a tracker and I use it for business purposes. It doesn't currently make sense to get another of the same.

Cost and imminent new model: Toyota tax is real for the buyer, whether new or secondhand. Yes, the Hilux is now a very well equipped bakkie but it is also very expensive for what you get. Another thing to keep in mind. We are approaching the end of the current Hilux production, a new model must already be just about ready for market if one assumes a 10 year model lifecycle. Again this will negatively affect trade-in values in the near future (Yes, I know you wouldn't think this if you look at what dealers ask secondhand)

So, what did I buy?
    Not a Ford. As good as the package is, and it is spectacular, it can be a hit or miss brand in terms of reliability. Ford also offered the least (By more than R60k) on trade-in as well as not being very negotiable on pricing, it felt like they were doing me a favour selling a vehicle to me.

I did buy an Isuzu 3.0 Ddi LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB. Got a good deal of discount, tonneau cover and fair trade-in value on the Hilux. So a new brand I haven't owned. Let's hope it will be as good to me.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Default Re: Time for a change

Congrats, lekka choice.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

Miles of smiles! I have had experience with Isuze as a work bakkie (2 of them actually), and they were great, never skipped a beat, they were both a little agricultural, which is perfect for a work vehicle. I doubt you will have the same experience with the new one though. I think Isuzu provides a great and under rated bakkie. Enjoy!

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    By late afternoon I will no longer own a Toyota. May the next owner enjoy it as much as I did, he/ she is getting a very well looked after example.

Why the change?
    In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with the Hilux itself. It performed well, has an astonishingly good off-road TC system, very good fuel consumption, a comfortable interior and has never missed a beat.

Single cab: Interior space is compromised and larger valuables have always needed to ride under the tonneau cover. Never had a problem but eventually my luck would run out. It is also nice to have space to stow things you don't want to get dusty.

Mileage, age and value: Recently did the 120k KM service. I use my vehicle for work and will be travelling more in future. Yes, I am aware it can do huge mileage but it is also 5 years old now. Beyond this point the realisable value when selling is going to go downhill fast. New vehicles are not getting cheaper either so this is likely the best time to move to a new vehicle. I have already been shocked at the trade-in values offered on what amounts to a mint condition, FSH example. Let's just say the dealers are the ones who make money on these deals.

Security, safety and insurance: If there is one aspect of Toyota ownership I will not miss it would be the constant nagging feeling of dread in the back of my mind whenever I had to park in a public space. Like it or not these are desirable vehicles and as such are a high theft risk. Couple this to insane insurance rates (R2 100.00 per month) because I refuse to have a tracker and I use it for business purposes. It doesn't currently make sense to get another of the same.

Cost and imminent new model: Toyota tax is real for the buyer, whether new or secondhand. Yes, the Hilux is now a very well equipped bakkie but it is also very expensive for what you get. Another thing to keep in mind. We are approaching the end of the current Hilux production, a new model must already be just about ready for market if one assumes a 10 year model lifecycle. Again this will negatively affect trade-in values in the near future (Yes, I know you wouldn't think this if you look at what dealers ask secondhand)

So, what did I buy?
    Not a Ford. As good as the package is, and it is spectacular, it can be a hit or miss brand in terms of reliability. Ford also offered the least (By more than R60k) on trade-in as well as not being very negotiable on pricing, it felt like they were doing me a favour selling a vehicle to me.

I did buy an Isuzu 3.0 Ddi LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB. Got a good deal of discount, tonneau cover and fair trade-in value on the Hilux. So a new brand I haven't owned. Let's hope it will be as good to me.
    Dodged a bullet by not getting a ford; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylMZFy1suI
    Series 3 2.6 109. - current
    RRS 5.0 SC - current
    VW Caravelle T6 - current
    KX450F #78 - current
    Husqvarna TC125 #99 - current

Past: Defender RAW, Series III 88, Range Rover SC, Discovery 3 V8, Defender Tdi, Defender RAW LS 1 V8

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willemviljoen For This Useful Post:

Great choice, congrats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Sound reasoning, good move, right choice.
    I did virtually the same 18 month ago - Toyota to Isuzu - plusses all the way, definitely no regrets.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Lekker man! A sensible choice.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

As an owner of a 2.8 Hilux Extra Cab (which I am very happy with), I can't knock your choice. Sound reasoning and a very good vehicle. Isuzu also do a better job of mating their motor to the (pretty much) shared Aisin auto gearbox.
    Last edited by QuQ; 2024/02/27 at 12:02 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to QuQ For This Useful Post:

Brandt n goeie koop geluk en geniet

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Lekker man. Geluk Brandt. Hoop jys baie gelukkig met jou nuwe bakkie.
    Old Wheeler

2023 Mahindra S10 d/c 4x4 sponsored by Mahindra JHB South
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

You are a man of class & exquisite taste😀🤙
    Jaco Nell

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Default New to Isuzu, I took delivery, the journey begins

As per this thread: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...e-for-a-change

I drove out of Tommy Martin Isuzu at just on 16:00 this afternoon behind the steering wheel of my new D'Max.

As per forum rules please see some horrible pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	715318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	715319

First impressions?

Space:
    Half a cab makes a lot of difference. It feels cavernous inside. The "bak" isn't bad either. As you can see the tonneau cover isn't on yet and it might be a good thing as I originally asked them to remove the "styling bar" and fit a "full" cover. However the "styling bar" is growing on me so it may stay. A bakkie can have some attitude, can't it?

NVH:
    A lot of reviewers complain about the engine being noisy. To me it is about on par with my ex single cab Toyota. It is not an unpleasant or droning sound and quiets down noticeably once at cruise. As for the cabin, it is well insulated against road noise and the wing mirrors don't seem to create too much wind noise at speed.

Ride:
    You know this is a bakkie but the ride is not better or worse than other similar vehicles.

Interior:
    It is a nice place to be. Ergonomics are good and I like the fact there are actual buttons to control most functions. The infotainment system is rather spartan, you need to be connected to a smartphone to get more out of it. On that note: the wireless Apple car play works well although it can take a few seconds to connect via Bluetooth. The screen is not laggy and the resolution quite good. For a factory "no name" the sound quality is decent but it could do with an active sub. There is a distinct lack of USB ports (only one) and it doesn't have a USB C output/ input, it also only has one 12V outlet.

It comes with dual zone climate control, controlled with toggle switches a touch I quite like because of the positive interaction and tactile quality.

Stowage space is not a problem, there are all sorts of cubbies all round the cabin. On this model there are no less than 8 cupholders/ bottle holders.

Comfort:
    The seats are very comfortable. Lots of reviewers have commented on this being one of the Isuzu's strong points. I spent about an hour in traffic and although not a long time I can see their point. Potential buyers should note that although the brochure indicates partial leather as standard, it is in fact an option. I am not a fan of leather seats so cloth seats don't bother me. The seat cloth material used does feel to be of a high quality. If there are criticisms to be leveled at the interior upholstery I would have preferred the heavy hand traffic areas to have been covered in leather. Keeping the cloth covered armrests (both center and doors) clean is going to be a mission.

The transmission:
    Isuzu has done a very good job on programming the Aisin unit, much better than their other Jap competitor.

The engine:
    I think Isuzu are holding back on the figures. It certainly doesn't feel lazy and accelerates with gusto when pushed, easily chirping the rear wheels on pull-off. Not sure I am going to have this engine tuned.

Safety tech and driver aids:
    All the normal suspects like ABS, EBD, ASC, TC, cruise control etc. It also features 7 airbags. New to me are blind spot monitoring, trailer reverse assist and rear cross traffic monitoring. I feel these are just enough and not too much.

The rear camera is decent but sits a bit high and to one side so hitching a trailer by reversing in under the hitch might take some practice. The blind spot monitoring might make you lazy but imo is a good assist to normal blind spot checking. The rear traffic alert has already done its job once as my driveway is blind onto the road.

If I have complaints about the safety tech in this vehicle it would center around the fact you have to agree to some indemnity's terms every time you turn on the infotainment system as well as the very loud, very annoying beeps emitted every time you engage reverse gear (That beeper is going to die a slow painful death)

First impressions conclusion?
    It is a definite upgrade from what I had but that is to be expected as times have moved on. It is definitely not on the cutting edge with regard to latest tech but given the price I paid and the fact that the "better" tech now available is geared towards more vehicle autonomy with less driver involvement, it really doesn't detract from the overall package.

Let's see how it goes from here. I am sure there is more to discover and learn about as our journey progresses.
    Brandt Theunissen
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

22. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New to Isuzu, I took delivery, the journey begins

Wel vir starters. Dis n baie mooier bakkie😁

Baie geluk
    Old Wheeler

2023 Mahindra S10 d/c 4x4 sponsored by Mahindra JHB South
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

Baie geluk en geniet die myle in jou nuwe bakkie!
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4
    2014 Jurgens XT140

Congrats, enjoy! IIRC there is a setting where you don’t have to agree every time on the infotainment.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Congrats and enjoy the new bakkie.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

I've had my V-Cross DC 4x4 for 1 year now and it is already on 60k km. It is a great vehicle and has worked hard towing heavy equipment, 4x4 driving in the dunes and has worked as a bakkie!

After my 1 year ownership I have noticed a few likes and dislikes but I still much prefer it over the 2.8 GD-6 Hilux Legend that I had.

Things to look out for:

1. Bump Steer - Isuzu Eagle Canyon has new wheel alignment specs that helps manage this better than the other fitment centres. Rotate your wheels on a regular basis to manage the inside wear on the front tires.
    2. The tow bar remains a pain in the ass as it drops out below the bumper. Offroad it catches on bumps and dips. I have lifted my bakkie and it still catches from time to time. The trailer plug bracket takes a knock due to this.
    3. In being a parabolic suspension you will see most sag within the first 250kg that you load. Thereafter it sags less with the additional weight being added. This can however cause an issue or two when towing a caravan etc. One option is airbags or a suspension upgrade should the need be.
    4. I would absolutely fit the moulded afriboot floor mats. They are expensive but worth every penny. The Isuzu carpets are not the greatest and the floor mats protect them very well.

Should you decide to do software then do a 76mm exhaust first. TMSS Motorsports manufactures a BRILLIANT S/S 304 exhaust for them. GST has a brilliant map on the 3.0 D-Max.

I hope you get many years of excellent service from the bakkie. I absolutely love mine!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drenalinjunkie For This Useful Post:

Not a happy customer.

My vehicle suffers from the shakey steering wheel issue. Dealership are saying they have never had this issue before and will be sending my vehicle for a high speed balance on Friday.

Gents, I really like this vehicle, it has everything I want but if changing tyres every 25k KM and steering vibrations is something I must live with, then it will not work for me.
    Last edited by Koebelwagen; 2024/02/28 at 04:23 PM.
    Brandt Theunissen
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

and so the never ending story begins with tyre and wheel changes, alignments, bushes etc. Isuzu will tel you its a character of the vehicle.

Isuzu is well aware, they just dont want to own up.. Only the top end model has electric steering so you dont constantly feel the bump steer.

Good luck going forward, stil the best looking bakkie but I could not live with that shakey steering..

Mine is still fairly new, bought as a demo with 6500km on it. I've added about another 7000km.
    I had wheels rotated and balanced at 10000km.
    First service will be done in about 2 motnhs.
    While no significant signs of this issue are showing, I will certainly bring it up with the dealership (Westvaal Menlyn).
    Perhaps one of the boffins on this thread, or the other one pertaining to this issue, should compile a list that all can add to, with regard to which dealerships say what. My point being that if two or three of us use the same dealership and get the same "first we've heard of it / not aware of the issue" response, then we know they are dodging the issue.
    On the other hand, if any dealership offers a proper solution, then we can refer to that for resolution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast