Default McCarthy's Rest Border Post to Vryburg

Which road is the best option between McCarthy's Rest Border Post and Vryburg or any other place on the N14 to travel north towards Pretoria?

Default Re: McCarthy's Rest Border Post to Vryburg

To Kuruman, then onto the N14.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/02/25 at 09:28 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Another option is to go past McCarthy's and carry on to Bray border post. It is then just 60 kms of dirt to Tosca and you are back on the tar Via Ganyesa to Vryburg. I personally find this a better option than McCarthys
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Another option is to go past McCarthy's and carry on to Bray border post. It is then just 60 kms of dirt to Tosca and you are back on the tar Via Ganyesa to Vryburg. I personally find this a better option than McCarthys

Do you know what is the road surface from Tsabong to the Bray border crossing? Is it tar? Is the condition of the road good?

Hi

From Tsabong to Werda is an extension of the road from Two rivers to Tsabong. Very good tar, hardly a pothole. From Werda to the Bray border post is hard pack gravel past Cornwall lodge.... not too bad.

From Bray border post to Tosca is +- 60 km of rough gravel/sand. It is not the best road but beats the McCarthy's to Hotazel/Kuruman rd.

From Tosca you are back on OK tar with the odd pothole via Ganyesa to Vryburg and the N14.

I did the McCarthy's to Santoy rd in Jan and it was 120 KM of horrible. I only did it as I was informed that it had been graded the day before.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

BMW R1200R

Hi

From Tsabong to Werda is an extension of the road from Two rivers to Tsabong. Very good tar, hardly a pothole. From Werda to the Bray border post is hard pack gravel past Cornwall lodge.... not too bad.

From Bray border post to Tosca is +- 60 km of rough gravel/sand. It is not the best road but beats the McCarthy's to Hotazel/Kuruman rd.

From Tosca you are back on OK tar with the odd pothole via Ganyesa to Vryburg and the N14.

I did the McCarthy's to Santoy rd in Jan and it was 120 KM of horrible. I only did it as I was informed that it had been graded the day before.

Thanks for all the info, it surely helps to plan ahead. We are looking at the road from Bray via Piet Plessis and Stella to Delareyville and there onto the N14 north instead of going back to Vryburg before going north on the N14. Do you know that route as well?

I do, but although it is a bit longer on the dirt, I would recommend you also look at the 375 versus the 377, which is a crappy potholed rd. especially around Stella. Once you get to the N18 it is a lovely little tar rd down to Sannieshof. You will bypass Vryburg and Delarayville.

When you get to the turn off (right) to go to Coligny, turn left and there is a good petrol stop just up from the turn off.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2024/02/27 at 12:40 PM.
    Stranger

GOF Club

BMW R1200R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I do, but although it is a bit longer on the dirt, I would recommend you also look at the 375 versus the 377, which is a crappy potholed rd. especially around Stella. Once you get to the N18 it is a lovely little tar rd down to Sannieshof. You will bypass Vryburg and Delarayville.

When you get to the turn off (right) to go to Coligny, turn left and there is a good petrol stop just up from the turn off.
    I'm coming in from left field, but ask that you assist me with your local knowledge. We are coming up from Winburg to Mabua, is it better to go via Bloemhof/Vryburg/Morokweng/Mccarthys rest or Kimberley/Hotazel/Mccarthys rest?

Go via Kimberly, roads are good. As always keep your doors locked and be aware in Kuruman. There is a new centre about 5km north of town that is safe to stop at.