Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Why is a Pajero so highly rated on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Basically, the OP ordered a T-bone with chips and onion rings washed down with a Windhoek Draught but expected fillet mignon with gnocchi Gorgonzola and truffles accompanied by a bottle of champagne.
    The OP just relates his experience with a pajero, and weirdly enough, a number of Gen 4 owners agreed with it, yet none of this information could be found previously on this forum. Just giving an open account of my experience with the vehicle. No need to get on the defensive
    Mike

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    The OP just relates his experience with a pajero, and weirdly enough, a number of Gen 4 owners agreed with it, yet none of this information could be found previously on this forum. Just giving an open account of my experience with the vehicle. No need to get on the defensive
    Hitherto you got off too lightly; your honesty is perceived as snobbery by us die hard fans refusing to accept change & progress. SSII, Tupperware & agricultural diesel fans around the world unite and rage against the refined machines!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Hitherto you got off too lightly; your honesty is perceived as snobbery by us die hard fans refusing to accept change & progress. SSII, Tupperware & agricultural diesel fans around the world unite and rage against the refined machines!
    Each to their own with what a vehicle means to them and I suppose it is the exact reason why so many brands can succeed. Imagine everyone drove the same vehicles 🥱.
    Mike

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post

Just a comment on a previous poster compairing road/gravel manners with solid axle equiped vehicles, there really is no expectation that the solid axle vehicle (especially a SWB) would be better on road. At least they have far superior off road performance going for them. I would also say that the Pajero's I have driven weren't better on road than what my WJ Jeep was, but that could be perception.
    Point taken (The only real jeep is a wrangler) but if we’re honest most people buy SWB 4x4’s simply because they are cool, easier to use as a daily runabout and like the look. Seeing that all the SWB vehicles listed are more than capable 4x4’s I would prefer the best handeling….ergo the pajero. Also the Pajero in SWB guise has a 100” wheelbase which is a bit longer than the rest and adds to its stability.

Going off-topic here but many people including me got interested in pajeros after seeing how they dominated the dakar. All those were SWB Petrol models.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    I thought the answer was: AMAROK
    maybe you are right?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    maybe you are right?
    Well, now eventually I can say I've owned both and can now say with authority. "He is right!"
    Mike

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Why you ask?

Because it’s a sensible choice. Older vehicle with little maintenance, quite reliable, space for family, all independent suspension for the odd pavement or dirt road when visiting Dullstroom.

As 90% of the forum dont do more than a grade 2 trail, the Pajero is an old favourite.

Its like a double cab in SUV clothes, it does lots of things good, but 4x4 is not one of those things.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-23 090133.png
Views: 531
Size:  600.2 KB

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    maybe you are right?
    Well, I have to ask. Now that the Amarok is also 2H, 4high auto, 4Hlc and 4Llc....does it also have SSII.

I mean, I can lock the diff in 2h - so it can also run with the 4x2's
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; VW Amarok PanAm V6
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nys View Post
    well, i have to askow that the amarok is also 2h, 4high auto, 4hlc and 4llc....does it also have ssii>:d mean, i can lock the diff in 2h - so it can also run with the 4x2's>:d
    ssiii

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Each to their own with what a vehicle means to them and I suppose it is the exact reason why so many brands can succeed. Imagine everyone drove the same vehicles 🥱.
    Some of us are born with the vehicle itch, where we have to buy a different brand of vehicle every year or so.

I drive past two nicely kitted Rubi's every day on the way to work, therefore I have decided that the Everest is just not a good enough vehicle anymore, I am still working on convincing swambo that the Jeep will make a much better school run car though.

Let me know if you need some pics of the Rubi's as well.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Ford Everest LTD

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

Lets also consider what vehicles are in the same range as a pajero in terms of size,boot space etc..Add where i missed
    Disco
    Prado
    wrangler 4 door
    old defender
    older patrol
    These are the basic ones that were there from at least 2003
    Generally the pajero is cheaper or was cheaper than all the above
    Most people hear stories of disco failures,prado dash cracking,defender the snail and noisey one,wrangler death wobble etc etc.
    Not much negative ever comes from the pajero side in most aspects (the rattle does kill the car me me now)and at a good price point they make a lot of sense in the above lineup as it also wins in price.

As for 4x4..Its not a rubi or a solid axle vehicle and was never built for that but if like mine it makes it through Berakah and rebellie unscathed in standard form, its more than enough car than i will ever need as I dont do trails for fun.
    So i think like in my case back then it was a damn good vehicle for the needs and never let me down.The monocoque is harsh on bad roads unladen but loaded that thing sits like glue and handles well.
    You are correct about the seats being flat and non supportive .Realised it when i went from the paj to the newer triton..The difference felt like moving to a recliner..And now the sport even more so
    I will always punt the vehicle as it is good for what it is but I always mention the rattles as most only go testing on the tar where its actually quiet and then are horrified when they hit a bad dirt road..And that does kill the experience,hence I spent so much time getting the brackets done and other fixes which help a lot but you will never get it as quiet and a new model sport or everest.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I have seen very little bashing

Edit: Which is surprising considering the Pajero's minimal articulation...
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by AfriqueDS View Post
    Maybe it is the reason it is no longer in production - the crappy ride
    Yeah, probably. And yet you bought one without ever having driven one? I wouldn't blame the car if I bought something and then afterwards realize it isn't what I expected at all. I'd be mad at myself, not the car. But anyway, you're not wrong. The pajeros have their faults, they certainly aren't perfect. Some people will like them, and others not.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Lets also consider what vehicles are in the same range as a pajero in terms of size,boot space etc..Add where i missed
    WK and WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokees
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 399000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    Point taken (The only real jeep is a wrangler) but if we’re honest most people buy SWB 4x4’s simply because they are cool, easier to use as a daily runabout and like the look. Seeing that all the SWB vehicles listed are more than capable 4x4’s I would prefer the best handeling….ergo the pajero. Also the Pajero in SWB guise has a 100” wheelbase which is a bit longer than the rest and adds to its stability.

Going off-topic here but many people including me got interested in pajeros after seeing how they dominated the dakar. All those were SWB Petrol models.
    Look, I will be the first to admit the Wranglers are compromised on road and in town, BUT they more than make up for that off road, and no, a SWB Pajero can't keep up with a Wrangler off road, I have off roaded with a SWB Pajero and it couldn't even keep up with my Touareg (straps on flame suit).

As for "the only real Jeep is a Wrangler", the XJ, WJ and ZJ (at the very least) is basically a Wrangler with a fancy suit, so I can't say I agree with that statement either.

I do agree that the Pajero dominated Dakar and as a boy that also captured my imagination (and I am sure a lot of other people's). Again I don't think a Pajero is a bad car at all, and I wouldn't specifically recommend against them, they are just not for me.

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

My uncle recently sold his 2010 (or something like that) Pajero DiD with close to 600k km on the clock. They have a house in Mozambique, and the car did a monthly trip down to the beach and back, apart from daily Sandton-side traffic.
    He didn't have a single problem, apart from the dash rattling, over the entire ownership period. They are on the far side of some dunes in Moz, so it also had to do a fair bit of offroading over the period, often pulling heavy trailers.

Maybe he was just lucky, but it seemed like it was a competent, reliable and reasonably priced vehicle?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Look, I will be the first to admit the Wranglers are compromised on road and in town
    After 3 weeks driving the JKU as a daily driver I must disagree with you.

Modded JKU's with lift kits, bigger tyres and muds are compromised in town and on the road.

Mine drives perfectly in town, turns in very nicely, tracks properly on the open road at 120km/h, has a brilliant aircon and stereo system, is easy to park with the reverse camera, keeps up with traffic very easily with the V6 engine AND I can take the roof down.

Everyone smiles when I drive with the roof down and TJ to JL drivers all wave.
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 399000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Like you, I bought my Pajero to use as a camping vehicle. I have a platkar for a daily.
    I got the SWB because at the time it was what suited me best, and I got a decent deal on it. I bought the Pajero as a lekker vehicle to take on camping trips, towing my trailer, and being a nice comfortable cruiser out in Kruger or wherever. If I wanted a vehicle for doing serious trails, I'd have gotten one for that purpose, and modified it accordingly. Same as if I wanted an overland vehicle. I never expected my camping vehicle to be used for purposes other than exactly that when I bought it, so I'm not disappointed with how it isn't the world's number 1 trails vehicle out the box. And I'm not disappointed in how if I wanted to overland with it I'd need to slap a roofrack on it and carry some jerry cans (which most overlanders do anyway).
    Yes, the dash rattles on corrugated roads, even after the brackets were installed. Yes it sucks. But less than 5% of the roads I drive with the Pajero are dirt roads. So 95% of the time spent driving the vehicle I don't have the rattles. The vehicle feels planted enough for me when driving, but also because I found the shocks feel the best for me. It feels under-powered when towing, but this I know, so I just plan my overtakes better. I know what the car does well, and what it doesn't do well. And for my purposes, the things it does well outweigh those it doesn't. It might not be for everyone, but I always say, "everyone parties in their own way."
    Iwan
    2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD SWB (Gen4)
    Invader Quattro
    Wildebeest Kalfie Trailer

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oubie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    After 3 weeks driving the JKU as a daily driver I must disagree with you.

Modded JKU's with lift kits, bigger tyres and muds are compromised in town and on the road.

Mine drives perfectly in town, turns in very nicely, tracks properly on the open road at 120km/h, has a brilliant aircon and stereo system, is easy to park with the reverse camera, keeps up with traffic very easily with the V6 engine AND I can take the roof down.

Everyone smiles when I drive with the roof down and TJ to JL drivers all wave.
    The longer wheelbase makes all the difference. I once drove a 130 then a 90 defender back to back, both Td5 and it was chalk and cheese.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

I think the same is true for many brands that are loved and punted by others..They suit the person,the use thereof and the feeling they get driving one
    For me my no-go is the old defender.Drove a lwb and shorty.I did not get the fuss and was one of the worst vehicles i drove..But again..Does not make them bad.Just not for me

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast