Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

Quote Originally Posted by simontrekker View Post
    Ja die probleem is die budget!! `n ek stel nie belang in `n Patrol nie. It's not on my wish list due to not meeting these crappy ecological emissions laws

That's why my shopping list is so short. A 4x4 that I might consider is a Rexton, which has a frame on body design, a rear solid axel on the lower spec models and low range, but no locking centre diff. The first and second generations even have an ARB rear locker option!! The 3rd generation is more 'attractive' and better speced but is incredibly expensive ... ek verstaan dit nie...

Die 4x4 węreld is ´n vreemde plek
    Waarvoor soek jy diff lock en waar gaan jy ry

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

How's it?
    As I'm active on the Forum today, I thought I'd give my fingers a bit more exercise, it's healthy.
    I'm in Spain, but for me, this is the best and most active 4x4 forum I know. Congrats!!So, I respect your advice a lot.

I don't want a bakkie. Usage for my cars is mostly weekend offroad routes and trips - and the odd light 4x4 circuit. I commute and do shorts trips on my mega scooter. Only option in Barcelona.

Anyway, if all goes well, next year (gonna be 60 years old) I should have a budget of aprox 15000 euros 308,388 rand (or a bit more for something special) to spend on a second hand 4x4.

The deal-breakers are: It has to have low range, 5 doors, A/C and cruise control. And that's it, so not too picky!
    They also need to be diesel from 2006 to get the B emissions sticker or petrol which gets you a C sticker (even better). One of the bummers or living in Europe although at least we don't need bullet-proof glass and a hand gun to go shopping... yet...

Within that budget the models on my list that I'm most interested in are:

So why do you want a 4x4 with low range ? most people use it like once a year or even less , I use mine to tow others out of trouble and once to tow a truck that was stuck , normal 4x4 is fine , are you going to climb mountains etc

1. Gran Vitara - 2013-2014 model about 120,000kms with everything petrol and auto are available for import from Germany.
    2. Mitsu Montero / Pajero (latest around 2010-12) 3.2 DID top range model with between 150-180,000 kms
    3. Land Cruiser 2006-2008 with between 180-220,000 kms (a bit pricier. probably 18k euros for a decent one with those KMS)
    4. Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2 from 2012) from 150,000 kms or a WK 2008-9 from 130,000kms) all 3L CRD.

The 5 door Jimny ain't coming to Spain, which is a pity.
    Not interested in anything with a Land Rover badge thanks very much!

This will be my 'definitive' and only car fir ek hop, 10 yaar, until they're banned in Europe!!

Which seems the 'most sensible choice' ? Have I missed any with features from my wishlist? No bakkies and only emissions valid ones thanks from 2006!
    Thanks for your help.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Off topic but I am tempted to go buy this as a cheap runaround here in Porraland.

I had one about 20 years ago and loved it. Absolute donkey and uncomfortable but it was still great.

Low range and center locker. Mine went everywhere.

https://www.milanuncios.com/coches-d...-494645588.htm

https://www.coches.net/x-56990410-covo.aspx
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/02/26 at 06:45 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    The 3.0 Crd engined Patrol should pass the emissions criteria.
    From 2006 yes, but I'm afraid of unreliability with this car. I did a video on my EASY4x4 channel about this car and the owner had changed a lot of stuff in the engine., and the specs and interior are underwhelming!!

And they're really expensive for what you get because every serious and extreme 4x4 boikjie wants one!
    YOUTUBE: EASY4X4
    INSTAGRAM: EASYFOURXFOUR
    FACEBOOK: EASY 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Waarvoor soek jy diff lock en waar gaan jy ry
    Ek nie soek nie 'n auto met rear diff lock maar dit wou a BONUS wee.

Soms ek hou van die uiterste 4x4 'n die 4x4 circuits. Dit is nie a deal-breaker nie !!

Default For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

ha ha, so you know some Spanish. Un PAJERO is someone who masterbates to put it politely! Hence they quickly changed the name in Spanish speaking countries teo MONTERO. You can however still see some of the early Pajeros before they copped on to the name....
    I wonder if they also called it the Mitsubishi Malaka in Greece?
    Last edited by Hooly; 2024/02/26 at 07:35 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

The more we go down the list the more a Montero/Pajero seems like the “reliable” answer. It will only be fitted with traction control but if you learn to use it it will be very effective at most things.

I would go Short wheel base pajero, 265/75R16 All-terrains, 40mm lift, bash plate, rock sliders, drawer system and roof rack. It should be versatile enough to conquer the majority of tasks you throw its way.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    I wonder if they also called it the Mitsubishi Malaka in Greece?
    Yep, it's easy to mess up with the names in different countries!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Off topic but I am tempted to go buy this as a cheap runaround here in Porraland.

I had one about 20 years ago and loved it. Absolute donkey and uncomfortable but it was still great.

Low range and center locker. Mine went everywhere.

https://www.milanuncios.com/coches-d...-494645588.htm

https://www.coches.net/x-56990410-covo.aspx
    Doubt you will go wrong, tough little buggers, more capable than most think. Especially in the hands of a crazy Russian
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    The more we go down the list the more a Montero/Pajero seems like the “reliable” answer. It will only be fitted with traction control but if you learn to use it it will be very effective at most things.

I would go Short wheel base pajero, 265/75R16 All-terrains, 40mm lift, bash plate, rock sliders, drawer system and roof rack. It should be versatile enough to conquer the majority of tasks you throw its way.
    Thanks!

it's almost a good time to conclude the thread and make a decision. I had a 2006 model Mitsu Montero SAHEL which was underpowered and I sold it, but looking at all the options, a 3.2 DID Montero with Kaiteiki spec ticks most of the boxes and I can get a better one than a Land Cruiiser for the money.

However, I'd like to get a long wheelbase if possible to make it more versatile, and also add the extras you pointed out. It's in a year's time, but I'm doing my research early.

Danke

11. The Following User Says Thank You to simontrekker For This Useful Post:

Ek nie soek nie 'n auto met rear diff lock maar dit wou a BONUS wee.

Soms ek hou van die uiterste 4x4 'n die 4x4 circuits. Dit is nie a deal-breaker nie !!
    07:14am is too early to be dopping, so did Google translate let you down or did you have a bender the previous night?

Thanks!
    it's almost a good time to conclude the thread and make a decision.
    Jumping in late here, but why not the Grand Cherokee? The 2013 face-lift has looks that will age well into another 10 or so years. Pajero is nice, but ... not as refined enough for my tastes. Plus, it the core it really is a very old car.

To throw a spanner in the works, have you considered a Subaru Outback or Forester? You are doing light off road, so.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Jumping in late here, but why not the Grand Cherokee? The 2013 face-lift has looks that will age well into another 10 or so years. Pajero is nice, but ... not as refined enough for my tastes. Plus, it the core it really is a very old car.

To throw a spanner in the works, have you considered a Subaru Outback or Forester? You are doing light off road, so.. ?
    Because Jeeps are unreliable...
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 399000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by QuQ View Post
    07:14am is too early to be dopping, so did Google translate let you down or did you have a bender the previous night?
    Thanks for taking your time to comment.
    I'm just a learner!! Doing my best... making mistakes is the way to eventual success in language learning.
    I know, I wrote a book on it.
    How to Learn a Language. The 7 Habits of Highly successful language learners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Yep. in the long run the Grand Cherokees look like they'd make me unhappy!!

Thanks for taking your time to comment.
    I'm just a learner!! Doing my best... making mistakes is the way to eventual success in language learning.
    I know, I wrote a book on it.
    How to Learn a Language. The 7 Habits of Highly successful language learners.
    Not big on a joke then . All the best to you.

I just wonder what you are going to use your car for.
    What is important to you?
    Sleeping in the car?
    Taking lots of camping gear?
    Etc.

One thing I would like to mention.
    Suzuky is a capable 4x4.
    They are not very popular in Namibia for one reason.
    On badly corrugated roads they are unstable.
    But I guess in Spain you seldom get badly corrugated roads.
    On the Suzuki you have limited space. Load capacity etc.

If you intend build some sleepeng space into your car.
    Go for the Pajero or Landcruiser.

And one off tpic thing.
    As far as space goes for a family of five a Hilux double cab is far better.
    Honestly if we would want to go on holiday with a land Cruiser or a Pajero. We would have to travel with a trailer.
    Last edited by Creative25; 2024/03/04 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post

Not a true Land Cruiser...
    Pardon?

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I.....I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
    -Robert Frost-

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    We are on our third Jeep and no major issues. We traded in the Pajero as found it extremely heavy on fuel. You were lucky to get to the next service station and it had a full Mitsubishi service history. Towing our caravan we were lucky to see 17mpg and for normal use about 25mpg! Motorway driving increased this up to about 27mpg. When a pipe for the air con broke, it took over 3 months for a replacement to arrive and we live in the UK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180902_111041.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	716068  
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Pardon?

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Enlighten me….
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3