Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

How's it?
    As I'm active on the Forum today, I thought I'd give my fingers a bit more exercise, it's healthy.
    I'm in Spain, but for me, this is the best and most active 4x4 forum I know. Congrats!!So, I respect your advice a lot.

I don't want a bakkie. Usage for my cars is mostly weekend offroad routes and trips - and the odd light 4x4 circuit. I commute and do shorts trips on my mega scooter. Only option in Barcelona.

Anyway, if all goes well, next year (gonna be 60 years old) I should have a budget of aprox 15000 euros 308,388 rand (or a bit more for something special) to spend on a second hand 4x4.

The deal-breakers are: It has to have low range, 5 doors, A/C and cruise control. And that's it, so not too picky!
    They also need to be diesel from 2006 to get the B emissions sticker or petrol which gets you a C sticker (even better). One of the bummers or living in Europe although at least we don't need bullet-proof glass and a hand gun to go shopping... yet...

Within that budget the models on my list that I'm most interested in are:
    1. Gran Vitara - 2013-2014 model about 120,000kms with everything petrol and auto are available for import from Germany.
    2. Mitsu Montero / Pajero (latest around 2010-12) 3.2 DID top range model with between 150-180,000 kms
    3. Land Cruiser 2006-2008 with between 180-220,000 kms (a bit pricier. probably 18k euros for a decent one with those KMS)
    4. Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2 from 2012) from 150,000 kms or a WK 2008-9 from 130,000kms) all 3L CRD.

The 5 door Jimny ain't coming to Spain, which is a pity.
    Not interested in anything with a Land Rover badge thanks very much!

This will be my 'definitive' and only car fir ek hop, 10 yaar, until they're banned in Europe!!

Which seems the 'most sensible choice' ? Have I missed any with features from my wishlist? No bakkies and only emissions valid ones thanks from 2006!
    Thanks for your help.
    YOUTUBE: EASY4X4
    INSTAGRAM: EASYFOURXFOUR
    FACEBOOK: EASY 4X4

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

From your list if you can get a nice clean one with a full service history and good parts backup would definitely be the Pajero.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

When you say Land Cruiser is this a 100 series oor a 120 series Prado?

You will have to choose whatís important to you, in my opinion the are ranked as follows.

Off-Road:
    • Cruiser
    • Pajero
    • Jeep
    • Suzuki

Reliability / longevity (Close between top 3)
    • Cruiser
    • pajero
    • suzuki
    • jeep

On road comfort or easiest daily drive
    • Jeep
    • Suzuki
    • Pajero (Handles better than cruiser on road)
    • Cruiser

Long term stay with the Japs!

I had a SWB Pajero which I loved but for a dedicated off-roader I think cruiser takes it.
    Last edited by pjf110; 2024/02/22 at 02:05 PM.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

From your list Id choose Pajero.

Pajero
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

No bakkie but d4d 4x4

Difficult for us down here to comment. We don't know what your parts and service options are in Spain.

Having spent some time in Europe a few times, including Spain, I know our bias is seriously towards the Japanese cars.

Case in point I spent a week in France and didn't see a single Toyota. (Ok maybe one or two a day)

Another case in point, Mitsubishi parts and service in SA sucks, bigtime.

However, if backup in Spain is good, Pajero all the way.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you donít like to say things you donít likeÖÖÖ

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by simontrekker View Post
    How's it?
    As I'm active on the Forum today, I thought I'd give my fingers a bit more exercise, it's healthy.
    I'm in Spain, but for me, this is the best and most active 4x4 forum I know. Congrats!!So, I respect your advice a lot.

I don't want a bakkie. Usage for my cars is mostly weekend offroad routes and trips - and the odd light 4x4 circuit. I commute and do shorts trips on my mega scooter. Only option in Barcelona.

Anyway, if all goes well, next year (gonna be 60 years old) I should have a budget of aprox 15000 euros 308,388 rand (or a bit more for something special) to spend on a second hand 4x4.

The deal-breakers are: It has to have low range, 5 doors, A/C and cruise control. And that's it, so not too picky!
    They also need to be diesel from 2006 to get the B emissions sticker or petrol which gets you a C sticker (even better). One of the bummers or living in Europe although at least we don't need bullet-proof glass and a hand gun to go shopping... yet...

Within that budget the models on my list that I'm most interested in are:
    1. Gran Vitara - 2013-2014 model about 120,000kms with everything petrol and auto are available for import from Germany.
    2. Mitsu Montero / Pajero (latest around 2010-12) 3.2 DID top range model with between 150-180,000 kms
    3. Land Cruiser 2006-2008 with between 180-220,000 kms (a bit pricier. probably 18k euros for a decent one with those KMS)
    4. Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2 from 2012) from 150,000 kms or a WK 2008-9 from 130,000kms) all 3L CRD.

The 5 door Jimny ain't coming to Spain, which is a pity.
    Not interested in anything with a Land Rover badge thanks very much!

This will be my 'definitive' and only car fir ek hop, 10 yaar, until they're banned in Europe!!

Which seems the 'most sensible choice' ? Have I missed any with features from my wishlist? No bakkies and only emissions valid ones thanks from 2006!
    Thanks for your help.
    The Jimny is very expensive in the EU for some reason. Much better options in that price range.

I would add the Touareg to your list. Iíve seen many with the low range and air suspension to lift suspension during off-road this side for 15 to 20k. From what I can gather it has a locker too.
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/02/22 at 09:50 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

When it has two knobs in the centre then it has all the proper 4x4 extras:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7280.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	714770
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

15k gets you the one below. For just under 20k you can get closer to 100k km. I found an agent who can register it in Portugal for 500 Euros if I buy in another EU country.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/v...campaign=share

Final price: Ä 15,450.-
    Mileage: 184,950 km
    First registration: 09/2011
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/02/22 at 09:50 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post:

Thanks for replies.
    I wouldn't touch a Toureg with a bargepole. Complicated engines. Did a video with one on my channel. Capable but...

I also had a Pathfinder for a while,. but it seriously lacks build quality: very light tinny doors, an interior that wears too quickly, cheap plastics, buttery clutch .... Made in Spain!!!!

Ruled out the Jeep. Unreliable

Land Cruiser if I can afford it.
    Pajero most probable if not. Mitsubishi dealers exist, but they're talking about pulling out of Spain in the near future ...

And a petrol Grand Vitara if all else fails.

Safe trailing!!
    Alles van die beste
    Last edited by simontrekker; 2024/02/23 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks for replies.
    I wouldn't touch a Toureg with a bargepole. Complicated engines. Did a video with one on my channel. Capable but...

I also had a Pathfinder for a while,. but it seriously lacks build quality: very light tinny doors, an interior that wears too quickly, cheap plastics, buttery clutch .... Made in Spain!!!!

Pajero most probable if not. Mitsubishi dealers exist, but they're talking about pulling out of Spain in the near future ...

Safe trailing!!
    Alles van die beste
    The Pajero is also only an option if you can live with the name.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

Thanks for replies.

Safe trailing!!
    Alles van die beste
    Very interested in your views regarding the Treg. I just donít understand Spanish so your video does not help me much. I am seriously considering this one.

It only has 75k km on the clock and all the off-road goodies for 21k (negotiated discount for cash):

Final price: Ä 21,900.-
    Mileage: 75,000 km
    First registration: 07/2013
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/02/23 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    The Pajero is also only an option if you can live with the name.
    ha ha, so you know some Spanish. Un PAJERO is someone who masterbates to put it politely! Hence they quickly changed the name in Spanish speaking countries teo MONTERO. You can however still see some of the early Pajeros before they copped on to the name....

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Very interested in your views regarding the Treg. I just donít understand Spanish so your video does not help me much. I am seriously considering this one.

It only has 75k km on the clock and all the off-road goodies for 21k (negotiated discount for cash):

Final price: Ä 21,900.-
    Mileage: 75,000 km
    First registration: 07/2013

The price is "right" for KMS and year but you can get cheaper ones with more KMS obviously,

https://www.coches.net/volkswagen-to...1377-covo.aspx

This has the most reliable of the engines. V6 3L diesel, but they may have the diesel gate problem?
    Are you in Italy?

there's something you need to know about them.

Only the first models had low range and only one in a million also came with a rear diff lock. So, the one you're looking at is a modern watered down SUV. I don't know a lot about these, as they're not really what I'd look for in a 4x4. They've lost a lot of what the first version had.

If you went for the first model with low range you also have to take into account the maintenance and repairs. When they go wrong they're expensive to fix, especially the V8s. The one in my video is the one to go for.

Sorry to rain on your parade!! Butin the end it depends what you want to do with the car. 21kÄ is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a second hand SUV. For that money I'd be looking at a Land Cruiser or a Montero.... to each their own

19. The Following User Says Thank You to simontrekker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    When you say Land Cruiser is this a 100 series oor a 120 series Prado?

You will have to choose whatís important to you, in my opinion the are ranked as follows.

Off-Road:
    • Cruiser
    • Pajero
    • Jeep
    • Suzuki

Reliability / longevity (Close between top 3)
    • Cruiser
    • pajero
    • suzuki
    • jeep

On road comfort or easiest daily drive
    • Jeep
    • Suzuki
    • Pajero (Handles better than cruiser on road)
    • Cruiser

Long term stay with the Japs!

I had a SWB Pajero which I loved but for a dedicated off-roader I think cruiser takes it.

I can't find any reference to a 120 series on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

From 2007 they are referered to as J200s so maybe that's it, and with my measly budget I'd be looking at a 2007 - 2009 year aprox with around 180,000kms if I'm lucky (18000 euros). Maxing out my budget and no money for repairs or a lift kit!! Maybe that's better as a long termer though...

This is about the best I could get currently in Spain for my money from 2006. Is this a 100 series?

https://www.coches.net/toyota-land-c...6463-covo.aspx

I wouldn't be looking at getting the latest model, which I filmed for my channel. This the ONLY MODEL YOU CAN BUY IN SPAIN new in 2024: The 2.8 diesel! The emissions laws are killing off the real 4x4s. And demand is dropping as ecologists views on the hobby are getting stonger and some lanes are being closed ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhk0kRZQV8M

Look forward to your comments!!
    Last edited by simontrekker; 2024/02/24 at 11:19 AM.

I can't find any reference to a 120 series on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

From 2007 they are referered to as J200s so maybe that's it, and with my measly budget I'd be looking at a 2007 - 2009 year aprox with around 180,000kms if I'm lucky (18000 euros). Maxing out my budget and no money for repairs or a lift kit!! Maybe that's better as a long termer though...

This is about the best I could get currently in Spain for my money from 2006. Is this a 100 series?

https://www.coches.net/toyota-land-c...6463-covo.aspx

I wouldn't be looking at getting the latest model, which I filmed for my channel. This the ONLY MODEL YOU CAN BUY IN SPAIN new in 2024: The 2.8 diesel! The emissions laws are killing off the real 4x4s. And demand is dropping as ecologists views on the hobby are getting stonger and some lanes are being closed ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhk0kRZQV8M

Look forward to your comments!!
    That is a 120 Series, also called a Prado! Not a true Land Cruiser but a great car nonetheless
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

There is always a Patrol.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    I was going to suggest a TD30 Patrol..... I saw quite a few Patrols and Nissan Terranos in France the last time (2014) I spent time in France. I know it is not Spain, but is at least just next door, so may be as available in Spain. I do know that Patrols are popular all over Europe...

I do not know the status of the Terrano currently though...
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/02/25 at 08:30 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

How's it?
    I don't want a bakkie. Usage for my cars is mostly weekend offroad routes and trips - and the odd light 4x4 circuit.
    If it is mostly only for weekend trips, what about a Jeep?
    Are they too expensive in Europe?

https://www.autoscout24.com/lst/jeep...k&ustate=N%2CU

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    As for Patrol, the new ones are too big and not really ideal for a country like Spain
    But you can maybe find a Short wheel base.

Something like this:
    https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/n...gested-results
    Last edited by Patroller; 2024/02/25 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast