Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

Quote Originally Posted by Patroller View Post
    As for Patrol, the new ones are too big and not really ideal for a country like Spain
    I doubt his budget mentioned will stretch to the big Y62.

The Patol I mentioned is a Y61 and he DID mention 5 doors and diesel, also, the Y62 is not available in diesel.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/02/25 at 08:46 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013, West Coast from April 2024.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2. 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX - stock (Will use it for Safari business)
    3. Wife - 2021 Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4x4
    Sold: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) -
    Sold: 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2i Auto
    Sold: 1988 Nissan Patrol 2.8 with 5 speed conversion
    Sold: 1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Default Re: For my 60th I'm gonna get a proper mid priced 4x4. But there're only 4 options

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I doubt his budget mentioned will stretch to the big Y62.

The Patol I mentioned is a Y61 and he DID mention 5 doors and diesel, also, the Y62 is not available in diesel.
    Ek het y61 bedoel. Hy het ook nie na 300 cruisers gekyk nie

Of na nuwe Suzukis. Sy budget laat niks nuut toe
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Y61 Patrols are expensive for year and km you get. I can get that Touareg for 1/2 the price of a Patrol with similar KM.

I would love a shorty but the rear seats wont work with 3 kids so it rules it out for family use. LWB would be my first choice but I cant justify paying double what Ill pay for that Touareg.

I am however going to save up for an older shorty with n BM motor in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by Darth; 2024/02/25 at 09:04 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Patrols are expensive for year and km you get. I can get that Touareg for 1/2 the price of a Patrol with similar KM.

I would love a shorty but the rear seats wont work with 3 kids. LWB would be my first choice but I cant justify paying double what Ill pay for that Touareg.

I am however going to save up for a shorty with n BM motor in the not to distant future.
    Maar dan is patrol ook dubbeld die voertuig as wat a toureg is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Reenen, die man sit in Spanje, hy verstaan nie Afrikaans nie, jy sal die Rooitaal moet gooi.....

Ha, ha, ha.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2024/02/25 at 09:08 PM.
    1. 2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by simontrekker View Post
    How's it?
    As I'm active on the Forum today, I thought I'd give my fingers a bit more exercise, it's healthy.
    I'm in Spain, but for me, this is the best and most active 4x4 forum I know. Congrats!!So, I respect your advice a lot.

I don't want a bakkie. Usage for my cars is mostly weekend offroad routes and trips - and the odd light 4x4 circuit. I commute and do shorts trips on my mega scooter. Only option in Barcelona.

Anyway, if all goes well, next year (gonna be 60 years old) I should have a budget of aprox 15000 euros 308,388 rand (or a bit more for something special) to spend on a second hand 4x4.

The deal-breakers are: It has to have low range, 5 doors, A/C and cruise control. And that's it, so not too picky!
    They also need to be diesel from 2006 to get the B emissions sticker or petrol which gets you a C sticker (even better). One of the bummers or living in Europe although at least we don't need bullet-proof glass and a hand gun to go shopping... yet...

Within that budget the models on my list that I'm most interested in are:
    1. Gran Vitara - 2013-2014 model about 120,000kms with everything petrol and auto are available for import from Germany.
    2. Mitsu Montero / Pajero (latest around 2010-12) 3.2 DID top range model with between 150-180,000 kms
    3. Land Cruiser 2006-2008 with between 180-220,000 kms (a bit pricier. probably 18k euros for a decent one with those KMS)
    4. Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2 from 2012) from 150,000 kms or a WK 2008-9 from 130,000kms) all 3L CRD.

The 5 door Jimny ain't coming to Spain, which is a pity.
    Not interested in anything with a Land Rover badge thanks very much!

This will be my 'definitive' and only car fir ek hop, 10 yaar, until they're banned in Europe!!

Which seems the 'most sensible choice' ? Have I missed any with features from my wishlist? No bakkies and only emissions valid ones thanks from 2006!
    Thanks for your help.
    One of our favourite destinations to soak up the sunshine is Alcossbre just north of Valencia. Also Roses in north Spain. We towed our caravan with a 2012 Jeep GC WK" Overland Summit. We now have a 2018 Jeep GC Overland, but have not used it yet to tow to Spain. That is on the cards for next year.

We find the WK2 GC a very powerful vehicle and on the open road we can expect over 12km per litre. Highest I have achieved travelling at about 120kph is over 13kpl.

We are hanging onto our current Jeep for as long as possible!
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post

We find the WK2 GC a very powerful vehicle and on the open road we can expect over 12km per litre. Highest I have achieved travelling at about 120kph is over 13kpl.

With that fuel economy, I would too.
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    With that fuel economy, I would too.
    I hope I got the conversion correct? The conversion from miles to km is not an issue. Solo and not towing in old money economy is about 34mpg at about 120kph. Best as been 36mpg. Taking into consideration it weighs over 2000kgs not bad. Towing our 2000kg twin axle caravan it drops down to about 22mpg.

Previously we did have the old 3.2ltr Mitsubishi Pajero and that could not pass a fuel station. Towing we were lucky to get 17mpg. Travelling solo we were lucky to get 28mpg. Very reliable car, but very heavy on fuel!
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

One of our favourite destinations to soak up the sunshine is Alcossbre just north of Valencia. Also Roses in north Spain. We towed our caravan with a 2012 Jeep GC WK" Overland Summit. We now have a 2018 Jeep GC Overland, but have not used it yet to tow to Spain. That is on the cards for next year.

Yes but remember the Jeeps are unreliable.

No specifics, just blanket statements that display ignorance.
    "K.a.k Wheeler

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - 399000km and permanent member of the family
    2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.6 - no lift kit and smaller wheels.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Yes but remember the Jeeps are unreliable.

No specifics, just blanket statements that display ignorance.
    I take it that is humorous sarcasm? A Jeep is far more reliable that any LR product and that includes the RR.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surfer01 For This Useful Post:

Reenen, die man sit in Spanje, hy verstaan nie Afrikaans nie, jy sal die Rooitaal moet gooi.....

Ha, ha, ha.....
    Ja, ek woon in Spanje maar ik can afrikaans verstaan was ik is 'n poliglot `n een van die tale wat ek studeer is afrikaans! Dit is nie normaal nie, is it?

Ek is mal oor 4x4, maar een van die redes hoekom ik hou van hierde Forum is om afrikaans te leer.

Vir my, kan julle in afrikaans of Rooitaal of spans of frans of catalan skryf.
    YOUTUBE: EASY4X4
    INSTAGRAM: EASYFOURXFOUR
    FACEBOOK: EASY 4X4

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to simontrekker For This Useful Post:

Ja, ek woon in Spanje maar ik can afrikaans verstaan was ik is 'n poliglot `n een van die tale wat ek studeer is afrikaans!
    Baie goed...!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek het y61 bedoel. Hy het ook nie na 300 cruisers gekyk nie

Of na nuwe Suzukis. Sy budget laat niks nuut toe
    Ja die probleem is die budget!! `n ek stel nie belang in `n Patrol nie. It's not on my wish list due to not meeting these crappy ecological emissions laws

That's why my shopping list is so short. A 4x4 that I might consider is a Rexton, which has a frame on body design, a rear solid axel on the lower spec models and low range, but no locking centre diff. The first and second generations even have an ARB rear locker option!! The 3rd generation is more 'attractive' and better speced but is incredibly expensive ... ek verstaan dit nie...

Die 4x4 wreld is n vreemde plek

The 3.0 Crd engined Patrol should pass the emissions criteria.

Ja, ek woon in Spanje maar ik can afrikaans verstaan was ik is 'n poliglot `n een van die tale wat ek studeer is afrikaans! Dit is nie normaal nie, is it?

Ek is mal oor 4x4, maar een van die redes hoekom ik hou van hierde Forum is om afrikaans te leer.

Vir my, kan julle in afrikaans of Rooitaal of spans of frans of catalan skryf.
    Ons is nou dertig jare in England en my Afrikaans is baie sleg. Ek kan lees maar praat is sleg. Ek kan Holandes lees, but kannie die taal praat. LOL!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Surfer01 For This Useful Post:

Ha, ha, ha.....
    Wou niks s, maar kon sien hy verstaan afrikaans deur slegs sy gebruik van eie afrikaanse woorde in die op.

Aan Simontrekker: respect for learning other languages. I am honored that Afrikaans is one. Thank you.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Ons is nou dertig jare in England en my Afrikaans is baie sleg. Ek kan lees maar praat is sleg. Ek kan Holandes lees, but kannie die taal praat. LOL!
    ja!!
    k is Engles maar ek is 35 yaar in Spanja 'n ek het Spaans nasionaliteit ! Vir my, die taals is my beruf `n my stokperdjie !!

Default his land cruiser

This is the Land Cruiser I would buy if it were this time next year!!! Hope there's something similar available then.

https://www.coches.net/toyota-land-c...8811-covo.aspx

it even has a read diff lock.

What do you think for KMS, year and specs? This is literally the top of my budget if I want to leave something for 'emergencies' or upgrades.

Danke

ja!!
    k is Engles maar ek is 35 yaar in Spanja 'n ek het Spaans nasionaliteit ! Vir my, die taals is my beruf `n my stokperdjie !!
    When in Spain or France we managed to get by with a few simple terms like "Where's the beer" or Where's the bacon". Never been able to buy bacon in France, but stranely enough boerwors is not an issue as sold at Carrefour!

If going for the Landcruiser go for post 2016 with the 2.8L engine. See https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/toyota/land-cruiser/

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Y61 Patrols are expensive for year and km you get. I can get that Touareg for 1/2 the price of a Patrol with similar KM.
    Yes, slightly off topic but...

When I searched for 2nd hand vehicles in Europe, I realised that the Patrols are remarkably expensive.
    Not sure who is more clever, or less clever, us or them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast