Post 2013 Triton 2.5 Aircon cycling

Hi All,

My Triton's A/C switches on and off about 5-6 times per minute. thus every 10 seconds or so the clutch either engages or disengages.

Outside temp is about 25-30C currently; AC is set to the minimum level.
    Fan speed has little to no effect.
    If I put it on recirculation mode, the interval increases slightly so about 4-5 times per minute.

I had it re-gassed to 500g of gas (the level was a little low). It was done at a reputable place with a machine that drains the system and re-charges it.
    The re-gassing had no effect, it still cycles.

Is this normal?
    If not, any advice where to look for the issue?

(I attach a screenshot from logged data from my OBD reader. This shows the frequency of the "on/off" in seconds)

Thanks
    Marius
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triton AC cycle.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	714733

Default Re: 2013 Triton 2.5 Aircon cycling

Auto or manual aircon?

The AC compressor will cycle under the following general conditions:

1) LP Switch (Low Pressure switch)
    2) HP Switch (High Pressure Switch)
    3) Evaporator Temp Probe (Senses low evap temp and/or iced up evaporator)
    4) Interior Temp Probe (Senses the vehicles internal ambient temperature, can cycle the compressor or control the air mix servo motor)
    5) Other conditions controlled by the ECU, like high outside ambient temps, engine in limp mode, etc.)

My 2c worth:

1) It could be cycling on the low LP switch if the gas charge is to low or the expansion valve is blocked or the LP switch is faulty.
    2) It could be cycling on the low HP switch if the gas charge is to high or it is under condensing with blocked condenser fins or faulty condensor fan or the HP switch is faulty.
    3) It can cycle if the evap temp probe senses the evap temp is to low or it is iced up or the temp probe is faulty.
    4) It could be cycling if it senses that the vehicle interior is on temp or the probe is faulty.
    5) If the ECU is causing the cycling it's a difficult one, but is often caused by a faulty outside ambient temp sensor.

My assessment.

The cycling time is very short and fast so:

It could be that the LP switch is faulty or cycling when the suction goes to low, i.e: blocked expansion valve or very low gas charge.
    It could be that the HP switch is faulty or the system is overcharged. (It is unlikely, but can be caused by under condensing, the cycle time is a bit to short and consistent).
    It could be caused by a faulty evap temp probe. (The cycle time is a bit to short for it to be an actual evap icing up problem, but could be low evap temp sensing)
    It could be a faulty interior temp sensor probe. (Unlikely, but possible)
    It could be a faulty exterior sensor probe. (Unlikely, but possible)

My best guess:

It's a faulty LP or HP switch or a blocked expansion valve or the system is way overcharged or some other ECU issue.

Hope I have not left anything out !

Last edited by Searcher; 2024/02/22 at 11:18 AM.

Thank you for this detailed post.
    Ill start eliminating components and give feedback.