Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: One of these threads again... - which vehicle?

see my outlook is completely different

I would look for the following if that was my budget, and look for one until i find it

porsche cayenne
    range rover sport
    discovery 4
    touareg
    Mercedes ML

why, cause you only live once, and safe and warranty also means boring

then only if i really cannot find one for the budget, i suppose you can always stick your pride in your pocket and buy a old safe toyota product
    Series 3 2.6 109. - current
    RRS 5.0 SC - current
    VW Caravelle T6 - current
    KX450F #78 - current
    Husqvarna TC125 #99 - current

Past: Defender RAW, Series III 88, Range Rover SC, Discovery 3 V8, Defender Tdi, Defender RAW LS 1 V8

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willemviljoen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by willemviljoen View Post
    see my outlook is completely different

I would look for the following if that was my budget, and look for one until i find it

porsche cayenne No thanks
    range rover sport Maybe
    discovery 4 Maybe
    touareg Maybe
    Mercedes ML No Thanks

why, cause you only live once, and safe and warranty also means boring

then only if i really cannot find one for the budget, i suppose you can always stick your pride in your pocket and buy a old safe toyota product
    I did this with my JKU, and "you only live once" has quickly turned to "you need to live safely and reliably because you have young children" very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Is this a 4motion? I see no mention of this anywhere - but are they perhaps all 4 motion?
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

You have yourself a very thorough list of wants & needs there. While that may make it challenging for you to find the car that ticks all the boxes, I believe that you will find the option that ticks the ​most important​ boxes.

Seeing that you have asked for personal opinions, here comes another one

Disco 4 is a fantastic all rounder & I really love the car. They are big, comfortable, have just the right amount of features & have good consumption for their size & weight.... BUT, the concern of potential failure (seen first hand), simply outweighs going that route for me.
    Bakkies don't make sense for me, I'm not in a space that requires loads. For daily use, you need to consider dust/water ingress, then retrieving your simple shopping from the end of the bin or needing a divider to keep it near the tailgate. Then, it's the safety of what's in the bin - do you go armadillo cover or steel/ally canopy - adding to the costs.

If it were my money that was being spent & I wanted to get as close to ticking off that list as possible:

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-Town/9273818/
    Solid, spacious, comfortable, the right extras and reliability that is proven. Have a family member who has one with over 500k km - the door locks & window motors are failing from the dirt roads it lives on, but mechanically she's been without hiccup. It does have a slight drinking problem though

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9146060/
    Another solid, spacious, reliable & comfortable contender. Prado will feel more luxurious, the Pajero can give a feeling of being heavy. If these are looked after, they can last years & take the km with ease. The extra seats (bench), I find to be inconvenient in comparison to others, but remove them & you have yourself a wonderful bit of extra packing room under the boot floor. Do not recall real world consumption though, it's been a long time.

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...urion/9329537/
    These are a whole new car, not even comparable to the old version IMHO. I believe your wife will lean this way if she tests each car with you. It simply feels more modern, feels lighter & easier to drive. This could be called a more agile & only slightly smaller replacement of the LWB Pajero. Modern technology returns improved consumption over its predecessors.

I'm not sure how much you travel/camp/overland, but in general, it's town driving almost 90% of the year. Consider what you are willing to "live with" or be "non-negotiable" about for 90% of the time, versus 10% of the time. Opting for a roof rack/roof box for the odd occasion where the additional space is required, I think is a great avenue. It's only a PIA to mount/dismount when it's required & can be stored against/in the ceiling of the garage.

Happy hunting though, it can be as frustrating as it is exciting.
    '11 Honda CRV (RE7) Executive
    "Truth is like poetry... And most people (expletive) hate poetry." - The Big Short

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiroshima For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    I did this with my JKU, and "you only live once" has quickly turned to "you need to live safely and reliably because you have young children" very quickly

Is this a 4motion? I see no mention of this anywhere - but are they perhaps all 4 motion?
    They are all 4motion.

That one has steel suspension and no low range (both options on those Touaregs).
    Mike

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshima View Post
    You have yourself a very thorough list of wants & needs there. While that may make it challenging for you to find the car that ticks all the boxes, I believe that you will find the option that ticks the ​most important​ boxes.

Seeing that you have asked for personal opinions, here comes another one

Disco 4 is a fantastic all rounder & I really love the car. They are big, comfortable, have just the right amount of features & have good consumption for their size & weight.... BUT, the concern of potential failure (seen first hand), simply outweighs going that route for me.
    Bakkies don't make sense for me, I'm not in a space that requires loads. For daily use, you need to consider dust/water ingress, then retrieving your simple shopping from the end of the bin or needing a divider to keep it near the tailgate. Then, it's the safety of what's in the bin - do you go armadillo cover or steel/ally canopy - adding to the costs.

If it were my money that was being spent & I wanted to get as close to ticking off that list as possible:

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-Town/9273818/
    Solid, spacious, comfortable, the right extras and reliability that is proven. Have a family member who has one with over 500k km - the door locks & window motors are failing from the dirt roads it lives on, but mechanically she's been without hiccup. It does have a slight drinking problem though

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9146060/
    Another solid, spacious, reliable & comfortable contender. Prado will feel more luxurious, the Pajero can give a feeling of being heavy. If these are looked after, they can last years & take the km with ease. The extra seats (bench), I find to be inconvenient in comparison to others, but remove them & you have yourself a wonderful bit of extra packing room under the boot floor. Do not recall real world consumption though, it's been a long time.

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...urion/9329537/
    These are a whole new car, not even comparable to the old version IMHO. I believe your wife will lean this way if she tests each car with you. It simply feels more modern, feels lighter & easier to drive. This could be called a more agile & only slightly smaller replacement of the LWB Pajero. Modern technology returns improved consumption over its predecessors.

I'm not sure how much you travel/camp/overland, but in general, it's town driving almost 90% of the year. Consider what you are willing to "live with" or be "non-negotiable" about for 90% of the time, versus 10% of the time. Opting for a roof rack/roof box for the odd occasion where the additional space is required, I think is a great avenue. It's only a PIA to mount/dismount when it's required & can be stored against/in the ceiling of the garage.

Happy hunting though, it can be as frustrating as it is exciting.
    Thank you for this great response. You're really hitting the nail on the head with my "dilemma" here!

Correct, in general I'm a 90% town/work driver (past 1.5 years with babies not withstanding) with a fair amount of family treks to family holiday house in Knysna, etc. Space is definitely an essential, camping or not. I'm yet to do our first camp with the kids, but when that happens, you bet I'll need the space. I want to feel planted and secure on the road at legal speeds when doing our trips - which is something the Jeep lacks as it gets blown around, being the brick that it is. Something that the wife can happily use as a daily so I can either take her small Suzuki to work, or a potential work vehicle, is a big plus as well.

I have looked at all the links you sent already, they're all on my excel spreadsheet
    I'm currently talking to the dealer about the Prado. Service history is immaculate. Done every 10k km's at Toyota.

Whilst I do enjoy modern tech in a car, fact is that for my budget, it's either a "lesser known" brand with all the tech, or I make that sacrifice in place of how much "car" I get in one of these options.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post

Your perceptions change when you go from fun and exciting having to mostly cater for yourself to when you buy primarily for family transport. I also enjoyed my Jeeps while I had them, but the Jeep brand is not mainstream enough in South Africa to make them a good long term purchase, and the way they are going now their product range is shrinking even more, I became worried about long term support, a brand that is not growing will surely develop after sales backup problems, so I got rid of mine while I could.

The Toyotas I had were great, but I don't want the target on my family's back, so I am done with them for the foreseeable future.

I am way too scared of buying out of warranty luxury SUV's, a single component failure can bankrupt one unless you have a substantial piggy bank as backup.

That's why I went the Scorpio-N route. It offers all that the nice mainstream SUV's with proper 4x4 systems do at a reasonable price and with a full warranty and service plan. Mahindra is also a growing brand with a local manufacturing facility so I believe they are here to stay.

But that's just me.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Juddvdb View Post
    My half a cent worth opinion: Isuzu. Either the MUX or D-max (depending if you want the tub usability or not). As far as I am concerned, it's well priced for what it is, ticking many of your boxes.

I will never recommend (not that my opinion is worth much) a Toyota, purely because of the theft risk (I work for a big insurer and the stats are disgusting to say the least).
    Would you care to share those stats with us please? Even if its just via DM.
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    2011 Mazda 2 Auto "Die Dorp Karretjie"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Your perceptions change when you go from fun and exciting having to mostly cater for yourself to when you buy primarily for family transport. I also enjoyed my Jeeps while I had them, but the Jeep brand is not mainstream enough in South Africa to make them a good long term purchase, and the way they are going now their product range is shrinking even more, I became worried about long term support, a brand that is not growing will surely develop after sales backup problems, so I got rid of mine while I could.

The Toyotas I had were great, but I don't want the target on my family's back, so I am done with them for the foreseeable future.

I am way too scared of buying out of warranty luxury SUV's, a single component failure can bankrupt one unless you have a substantial piggy bank as backup.

That's why I went the Scorpio-N route. It offers all that the nice mainstream SUV's with proper 4x4 systems do at a reasonable price and with a full warranty and service plan. Mahindra is also a growing brand with a local manufacturing facility so I believe they are here to stay.

But that's just me.
    And I think the Scorpio N was a great choice, and in fact meets most if not all my criteria as well. It is high on my list. An issue for me though, and its a big one, is that at the moment in East London, there is NO Mahindra agent (can you believe it?) A few weeks ago the existing agent was dropped for some reason. Who will do warranty work, services, etc outside of RMI approved indies here? I have a feeling they will get another agent here, Mahindras are all over the place, but until then... yikes. Especially with the Scorpio N being so new.

Regarding Toyota theft..

I really dont want to turn this thread into another Toyota theft thread, but from what I know, Toyota theft is not as high in the Eastern Cape. Quite a trek to get from here to across the border, I suppose. How bad is it in the Western Cape? That's the only other place I visit on occasion/would move to.
    Not that I am oblivious to it, obviously. It still pushes our insurance premiums up as well, but I (perhaps misguidedly) Dont feel as at-risk here.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by JeandreDiedericks View Post
    That SCV6 is a gem... No turbos or crank snaps to worry about. Go test drive it.😈
    Would also be my choice, all day, every day. It's just streets ahead in drive quality and feel good factor nd has the ability to go anywhere the bakkies can go, offroad. And I talk of experience. Had both a D3 and D4 (both diesels) and never had any problems. Much closer to a luxury SUV than the other more utilitarian vehicles mentioned here.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 350d

I know of a very clean, properly rigged FJ (2013 / 150k km / black with white roof) on sale in Slummies if you want to consider that? Some reckon the suicide doors are not an issue with kids etc, I have no experience with an FJ so can't comment. I can't post a link as it's on a paywall protected Forum but can send you the info if you DM me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3