Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default One of these threads again... - which vehicle?

I'm sure everybody is sick of these threads, they are an argument magnet.. But I like them, they provide useful insight to me. No two end up the same

Under these exact parameters - what vehicle would you buy/recommend?

1. Safe
    Not necessarily by means of tech, but enough airbags for all passengers, and good safety rating in terms of crash protection.
    2. Reliable
    Vehicle should be able to last many years (with good maintenance), decent parts availability, with most things being fixable by any decent mechanic
    3. Spacious
    Enough space for a camping family of 4 - be it large SUV or Bakkie. Preferably don't want to tow a trailer. Roof racks if needed, but would prefer to fit everything inside
    4. Daily driver
    Something that is perfectly comfortable for work commute and school runs
    5. Offroader
    Doesn't need to do insane rock-crawling and dune climbing, but something that can get out of tough situations, camping trips, bush driving.. you get the idea.
    6. Comfort
    Something that doesnt shake us about on-road, some nice-to-have features (rear view cameras, etc)
    7. Fuel Efficiency
    Doesn't have to be incredible, but something decent. Better than 15L/100km's
    8. Age
    Depending on vehicle.. but preferably something as new as the budget allows. I'm not really wanting something "old" unless it's a real gem.
    9. Mileage
    The lower the better, obviously. Preferably not more than 120k km's
    10. Brand
    I'm not overly brand biased, but I like vehicles that look the part. I've got neighbours to compete with (jokes)
    11. My wife needs to like it
    Very subjective I know, but there may/will come a time where it will become her daily... especially as a work bakkie may be in my near future. This apparently rules out Jeep Wranglers and anything not that comfortable to be inside of on the road.

So I realize that the above is pretty much what anybody wants out of any vehicle. Here's the problem though:

12. Budget
    +/- R450k ... Can maybe stretch to around R490k but the lower the better. I'd have it at R400k if I could, but that makes it impossible to find anything I want.
    I realize that these days this is a very low budget for what I'm looking for. Everything that ticks the boxes that I can find are R500 and up.

My findings so far:
    My previous Fortuner ticked most of these boxes... but I dont want to go back to a Fortuner. I'd love a Prado, but the budget wont allow unless its a pre-2013, which is a bit too old for me (want to squeeze many years out of my next vehicle). I'm not a huge fan of the previous gen Hilux, but the "newer" ones are also outside of affordability (for one with all the bells and whistles).
    The Disco 4 HSE looks great, but reliability is the concern there. I've always liked German brands, but affordability and maintenance costs may rule them out (except some VW's)
    "New" cars like the Scorpio N look good too - though pushing the budget and maybe a bit small?

ok, so.. ideas of things to consider?
    Note: I am in no rush - I'll happily drive my JK, kids are a bit young for camping still.
    Last edited by LukeHawk; 2024/02/22 at 09:13 AM.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

Default Re: One of these threads again... - which vehicle?

As late a model of Pajero Sport as you can get at that price
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

So many options. At the top end of your budget you can get a demo New gen ranger SiT, but in manual version.
    Mike

Isuzu MU-X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuQ For This Useful Post:

I think you have to decide between double cab and SUV. That a decision only you can make.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by QuQ View Post
    Isuzu MU-X
    Here is a 2018 with 87k km on being advertised for R420k.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...pq=0&pr=2&po=1
    Last edited by QuQ; 2024/02/22 at 09:52 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuQ For This Useful Post:

Perfect buy this!
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Pick the one you like so much, that a niggle or imperfection would not dampen you enthusiasm.

PS: Just remember that you have to look at the thing first before you get in...
    Last edited by faniedup; 2024/02/22 at 09:47 AM.

My half a cent worth opinion: Isuzu. Either the MUX or D-max (depending if you want the tub usability or not). As far as I am concerned, it's well priced for what it is, ticking many of your boxes.

I will never recommend (not that my opinion is worth much) a Toyota, purely because of the theft risk (I work for a big insurer and the stats are disgusting to say the least).

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    As late a model of Pajero Sport as you can get at that price
    This is a top contenders. How are they compared to a Fortuner (my only reference point to something of this class)?
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...eorge/9281667/

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    So many options. At the top end of your budget you can get a demo New gen ranger SiT, but in manual version.
    4x4 as well? Would far prefer an Auto, so I think the new gen rangers are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    I think you have to decide between double cab and SUV. That a decision only you can make.
    Yes.. I've never had a DC before. I'm leaning SUV for wife's sake, but space-wise for camping gear etc, a bakkie could still be the one.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

[QUOTE=LukeHawk;5194831]This is a top contenders. How are they compared to a Fortuner (my only reference point to something of this class)?

https://www.carmag.co.za/car-reviews...o-sport-24-d4/

This is a good read for comparing the 2.The 2.4 Pajero Sport is amazing IMO,granted I am a bit of Mitsubishi fanboy. The was the rear seats fold away into the floor is way better than that of the Fortuner and at the price a Pajero Sport is a helluva lot of car for the money

You mention you dont want to tow a trailer...then a BAKKIE all the way..
    We a family of 4 and a normal december holiday the space in my pajero sport is just enough..if i had to go camping etc i would need a trailer.
    I think with bakkies you also gonna get something at your 400k preferable price
    Last edited by Mr.G; 2024/02/22 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalkbotha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    This is a top contenders. How are they compared to a Fortuner (my only reference point to something of this class)?

https://www.carmag.co.za/car-reviews...o-sport-24-d4/

This is a good read for comparing the 2.The 2.4 Pajero Sport is amazing IMO,granted I am a bit of Mitsubishi fanboy. The was the rear seats fold away into the floor is way better than that of the Fortuner and at the price a Pajero Sport is a helluva lot of car for the money
    In this article they are comparing newer variants, the Pajero sport here is the newer/facelift version it seems, which is out of budget. Does the older/pre-facelift still hold up?
    Time to watch some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    You mention you dont want to tow a trailer...then a BAKKIE all the way..
    We a family of 4 and a normal december holiday the space in my pajero sport is just enough..if i had to go camping etc i would need a trailer.
    I think with bakkies you also gonna get something at your 400k preferable price
    One of my "gripes" with a bakkie is that I assume it to be a lot less comfortable as a daily. My ex Fortuner was far more comfortable than a Hilux in my opinion, and I think the same is true for all/most Bakkies at this price point except an Amarok.
    I'm a home DIY'er and a bakkie is great for that.. wood cuts, etc, so I am team Bakkie as well, but hopefully not at the sacrifice of a nice place to be on the daily commute.
    I appreciate the feedback about space - this is a concern of mine. In the fortuner, my wife and I had plenty space for our camping gear, luggage, etc. With lots left over. In the Jeep, with kids, I can barely squeeze in everything for a week stay at our family holiday house - no camping gear. although we are at the age now where we dont need high-chairs and a pram, which saves a LOT of space.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

This, naturally: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...11011149332609! Km's a bit high, but with proper maintenance it can go to 500k km's and beyond.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    This, naturally: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...11011149332609! Km's a bit high, but with proper maintenance it can go to 500k km's and beyond.
    There was actually a nice example of one near me as well a few weeks ago, but I cant find it now. I think it was a 2013 though with 200k + km's.

Here's a spanner in the works:
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9278651/
    (joking.. not ready to deal with maintenance costs/reliability issues of these. But reading that other thread made me consider it)
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

I think the pajero is getting on in age and once you drive it compared to a newer sport you realize how much more refined the sport is and also makes for a beter daily driver..But packing space will be much less
    Not sure how big the MUX boot is but they also very nice.
    Again..I think if you look for a previous shape 2,2 ford ranger you will find one and they drive well..Or a isuzu xrider 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    There was actually a nice example of one near me as well a few weeks ago, but I cant find it now. I think it was a 2013 though with 200k + km's.

Here's a spanner in the works:
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9278651/
    (joking.. not ready to deal with maintenance costs/reliability issues of these. But reading that other thread made me consider it)
    This option could put serious strain on requirements 2 and 12.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I think the pajero is getting on in age and once you drive it compared to a newer sport you realize how much more refined the sport is and also makes for a beter daily driver..But packing space will be much less
    Not sure how big the MUX boot is but they also very nice.
    Again..I think if you look for a previous shape 2,2 ford ranger you will find one and they drive well..Or a isuzu xrider 2.5
    Yes definitely many previous gen Ford Rangers in my price range. If I'm going previous gen I'd be able to swing for a Hilux then as well, which arguably I might prefer just from a "brand I know"/reliability perspective. Though there goes point 6 on my list and potentially point 1 (dont think there are rear passenger airbags. In fact which of the bakkies do have rear passenger airbags?)

Back to the Pajero sport - are all trims the same? Is the "Exceed" Trim for newer models only? Online listings dont mention Exceed or GLS trim for the older ones, looking for the differences.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

There are 2 trim levels.Both full spec where the exceed has the sunroof extra which is a waste

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Thanks, now I've gone down a Pajero rabbit hole.
    This year and condition look great, and what a price! Buuuut due to my location being nowhere near, I prefer a dealer for some sort of "peace of mind" (for whatever that's worth) and delivery.

I found these good looking examples:
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9318183/
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/9146060/
    Last edited by LukeHawk; 2024/02/22 at 01:38 PM.
    K.a.k Wheeler

Toyota Prado VX 4.0 V6

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast