Default Discovery 3 - Do i need another Gearbox with these Diagnostic Results?

Disco 3 TDV6 2008 Model.

Given results below from Diagnostics, Is it better to find another Gearbox & Torque Converter?

null (1).pdf

Thank you
    Last edited by GAIREZI; 2024/02/22 at 10:23 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

Ford Figo 2010 1.4 Manual
    Opel Omega 2.2 16v Auto (sold)

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Do i need another Gearbox with these Diansotic Results?

None of them looks gearbox related?

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Do i need another Gearbox with these Diansotic Results?

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    None of them looks gearbox related?
    GEARBOX ERRORS are on Page 2 and Page 3

Can you elaborate further? D3 Started with shuddering and occasional big "F" fault code, then went on to missing gears and slow changes. Complete Oil change and nothing improved. In 1 gear 1 and gear 2 it will easily give a fault and refuse to pull. Change to Manual mode put in Gear 3 and it will pull, 4 and 5 it seems to work too, Gear 6 seems problematic. But gives a fault very easily though. Looking to resolve this.
    Last edited by GAIREZI; 2024/02/21 at 10:13 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

With those symptoms i would say your torque converter needs replacing... best to get a good indy to have a look at it... i had my torque converter and gearbox redone at around 224 000km through ZF services in Cape Town.... 60 000km and it still silky smooth.
    2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE 259 000km and still purring! (Mine)

2005 Defender 90 Td5 with ARB rear locking diff / built in water and fuel tanks / dual battery / razorback 270 awning / engine software upgrade / black box engine management system / suspension raised with 196000km (HERS)

2013 Ford Focus 1.6 Hatch (OURS)

Quote Originally Posted by GAIREZI View Post
    GEARBOX ERRORS are on Page 2 and Page 3

Can you elaborate further? D3 Started with shuddering and occasional big "F" fault code, then went on to missing gears and slow changes. Complete Oil change and nothing improved. In 1 gear 1 and gear 2 it will easily give a fault and refuse to pull. Change to Manual mode put in Gear 3 and it will pull, 4 and 5 it seems to work too, Gear 6 seems problematic. But gives a fault very easily though. Looking to resolve this.

There is no page 3 in the attachment.

Normally its the torque converter that goes, throws an F, and if you switch it of and on again, its gone for a while. On my D3 I swopped it out for a complete second hand gearbox with half the km's I had on mine, was about the same price as having the torque converter repaired.

Seeing that P3 is not attached; have you had both the battery and alternator tested?

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Do i need another Gearbox with these Diagnostic Results?

The Disco 3 gearbox is still supported by ZF South Africa. The Land Rover Owners Club had a very informative day at ZF in Edenvale last Saturday. They showed us how they do the diagnostic on a members Disco 4. They are able to do diagnostics on all of the vehicle systems so that they can see how the interface between the systems are effected.
    I don't know where you are based, but I'd advise getting hold of ZF before letting anyone rip your car apart on guesswork.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Home from Home)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    There is no page 3 in the attachment.

Normally its the torque converter that goes, throws an F, and if you switch it of and on again, its gone for a while. On my D3 I swopped it out for a complete second hand gearbox with half the km's I had on mine, was about the same price as having the torque converter repaired.

Thanks @faniedup Your route is the one i intend to take. I can get the exact same gearbox and torque converter in the UK and land it here for (R13K) a fraction of the R70K i was quoted here in Windhoek. Plenty of family, first cousins and friends in UK. Finding it and shipping it is a none issue.

Thanks for the correction...... i realised i attached the incorrect report. my bad. I attached the correct report now.

null (1).pdf

But i'm sure this is definitely a new box and torque converter here needed. But i could be wrong.
    Last edited by GAIREZI; 2024/02/22 at 10:37 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

Default Re: Discovery 3 - Do i need another Gearbox with these Diagnostic Results?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    The Disco 3 gearbox is still supported by ZF South Africa. The Land Rover Owners Club had a very informative day at ZF in Edenvale last Saturday. They showed us how they do the diagnostic on a members Disco 4. They are able to do diagnostics on all of the vehicle systems so that they can see how the interface between the systems are effected.
    I don't know where you are based, but I'd advise getting hold of ZF before letting anyone rip your car apart on guesswork.

Thanks @PAUL

Yes i hear you well. I am in Windhoek. But this a costly exercise, the ZF Route. Isn't it. I keep car at house, parked. So i am careful with who touches it.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GAIREZI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Seeing that P3 is not attached; have you had both the battery and alternator tested?
    Thanks @2bFree

Battery, i put in an AGM Exide Battery in it. Alternator was checked yes and no issues with charging there.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
    With those symptoms i would say your torque converter needs replacing... best to get a good indy to have a look at it... i had my torque converter and gearbox redone at around 224 000km through ZF services in Cape Town.... 60 000km and it still silky smooth.
    @BROWN Thanks for response. At what cost though?
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

Thanks @faniedup Your route is the one i intend to take. I can get the exact same gearbox and torque converter in the UK and land it here for (R13K) a fraction of the R70K i was quoted here in Windhoek. Plenty of family, first cousins and friends in UK. Finding it and shipping it is a none issue.

Thanks for the correction...... i realised i attached the incorrect report. my bad. I attached the correct report now.

null (1).pdf

But i'm sure this is definitely a new box and torque converter here needed. But i could be wrong.
    From this report it seems like that Gearbox is toast. A full rebuild incl torque converter will probably be needed. Or a good 2nd hand unit.

Also see some injector issues according to that report.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 -VW Tdi Swap in Progress
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 4.0 V8
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100"
    2010 Range Rover Sport SC 5.0 V8

Ex.
    Discovery 1:TDI and a V8. 2x Discovery 2 V8. 2X Discovery 3 TDV6. Freelander 2 TD4, 2X C350 CDI's, Subaru Forester XT and a Volvo V60 T6

Have you tried:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tranny fixx.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	714788

Lubegard 19610 Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx

Id made a big difference on my DTV6. No shudder or "F" faults anymore.
    LandRover Discovery 3 TDV6 2007
    BMW 320 D (E90) 2006

15. The Following User Says Thank You to johanventer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeandreDiedericks View Post
    From this report it seems like that Gearbox is toast. A full rebuild incl torque converter will probably be needed. Or a good 2nd hand unit.

Also see some injector issues according to that report.

Thanks @Jeandre My thoughts exactly.

The car has been sitting at my house for 3 years because i didn't want to worsen it. But i have made up my mind to get it back to fitness. It does start and drive just to keep it "running" and i wash and wax it regularly. Looks neat from the outside and also interior.

The story in the Engine compartment is that There is Diesel Fuel going into Engine Oil......

So where and how does that happen? Could it be seals somewhere there on the injectors that need replacement. It gives a lot of whitish smoke on idle, as if it is on fire The smoke will clear much later as you drive it.

Dash and dials randomly die down for a few minutes while driving for a few seconds and comes back on. But i see this is a known issue and something to do with the opening the cluster and fixing or replacing cluster altogether.

So yes i need advice on what to do there.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

Quote Originally Posted by johanventer View Post
    Have you tried:

The one and only Peter Street which was a Land Rover icon and ambassador called it the magic vienna.
    I miss his good technical advise, RIP

Does Centurion gearbox and diff centre still operate ? , they were the appointed agents for LRover, they done my torque converter with a service exchange , and still working 110% no more shudder or hunting of revs.
    If from Windhoek, remove gearbox , crate it and send to them .
    But surely there must be ZF guys in Windhoek, VW, BMW, FORD , all use ZF boxes
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2024/02/23 at 10:06 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by johanventer View Post
    Have you tried:

@johan Thank you. I believe it might be too late and far gone for this.
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    1996 3.5 V6 dohc-24 Auto
    DISCO 3 TDV6 S Auto

@BROWN Thanks for response. At what cost though?
    It cost me around R45 000 and it's still as good as new 60 000km later with lots of 4x4'ing and demanding driving.

That included a new torque converter and gearbox mechatronic unit and some other gearbox parts.

Mine started slipping quite badly and then i put in 2x tubes of Dr tranny which bought me about 12 000km of driving and then it started slipping again....

I was told by the technician at ZF that when it originally started to slip i should have brought it to them and possibly only the torque converter would have needed replacing... Dr Tranny hides the symptoms and in the process wears out the mechatronic unit and other parts in the gear box...

Im not sure if a workshop in Namibia could take out the gearbox and then you send it to ZF in JHB and they can quote you accordingly if you cant drive it to them....

Best to call ZF and see if they can advise you on what the best solution may be. Even if you put in 2 tubes of Dr Tranny just to get it to JHB, then they can flush the Gearbox that side.
    2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE 259 000km and still purring! (Mine)

2005 Defender 90 Td5 with ARB rear locking diff / built in water and fuel tanks / dual battery / razorback 270 awning / engine software upgrade / black box engine management system / suspension raised with 196000km (HERS)

2013 Ford Focus 1.6 Hatch (OURS)