Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Surf Boat Launching

For convenience I need to learn how to surf / beach launch. The locals are particularly unhelpful and dismissive, claiming it is easy and you really only need a 4X2 bakkie and that there is no need to deflate etc. While this may well be the case, and years of experience may have made them blasé, I remain unconvinced, or more accurately, a little more circumspect.

It is a small bay and the waves are small so the surf is not the issue and not my primary concern.
    The boat is a 5.2m RIB with a breakneck trailer so I can get the boat of easy.
    There is generally a large flat area of compacted sand from which to launch, and a gradual slope into the sea, with the vehicle being located on the softer Cape beach sand.
    The vehicle is a Fortuner 4.0l 4X4.

The vehicle rear wheels will be on the compacted sand when launching so one would get a running start at the very soft, thick beach sand.

As the trailer wheels are not driven and run in the track, they can stay fully inflated?

The conventional wisdom seems to be, deflate the tyres (nobody does), disengage the traction control, engage 4X4.

Anything else I should consider?
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2024/02/21 at 08:45 AM.

Default Re: Surf Boat Launching

You do not want to be stuck in the surf zone, very bad things happen.

Use every tool you have, rather safe than sorry. I deflate the trailer tires to 1 bar, car to 1.2 to 1.5 depending on the sand conditions. TC off, if you have rear diff-lock, turn it on.
    You need to drop and go as fast as possible, do not stand still in the surf zone. The sea will dig the sand out from under your tires in no time leaving you very stuck.
    Have a tow rope and schacel close at hand for if you get stuck.

This might all sound over the top but I have had to rescue many a boater that thought their 4x4 was invincible, have you done a skippers coarse?
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chukudeer For This Useful Post:

I don't know the Cape, all I can say is luckily you are not planning that on the North Coast

When you are up here again please join me for a launce or two and you will learn something that might help you.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

I see you are in Perlemoenbaai (between Stanford's bay and Gansbaai). I know the area well. Which launching site (s) are you planning to use? I think you'll be OK.

Yes, I would also deflate, and use all the difflocks and 4wd equipment the vehicle offers like chuk mentions, better safe than sorry, especially with surf launching.
    a white bakkie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Swys14 For This Useful Post:

I surf launch at Kenton on Sea fairly regularly and have had my share of getting stuck...it will happen. Launching is the easier part mainly due to the fact the load is off, retrieving can be a challenge and especially on an incoming tide!
    I deflate vehicle to about 1.2 and drive in low range, no TC and no diff-lock....I have found DL can be counter productive in soft sand especially when turning. My trailer tyres stay around 1.8 so I dont worry. My current boat is a 4.7 but previous was also a 5.2 and both very similar. I always reverse the boat trailer close to the boat and then hitch the trailer winch and drag the boat up a little in order to be clear of the waves and then begin winching onto the trailer. It certainly helps to get a good run up to exit the beach as well

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Edgy For This Useful Post:

I would deflate. When using the break-neck wheels can dig in. Rather safe than sorry. The nature of beaches can also change by the season and that which was hard two weeks ago, may not be the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I don't know the Cape, all I can say is luckily you are not planning that on the North Coast

When you are up here again please join me for a launce or two and you will learn something that might help you.
    Indeed.

I have lost my appetite for fishing offshore in KZN. Too many close shaves and pains from being banged around. Maybe I am getting old and becoming a wuzzy.
    Jaco Nell

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

It really depends on the conditions, I have launched many, many times here in Durban in similar conditions and almost never deflated the trailer tyres and seldom had to deflate the vehicle tyres, some of the time you can get away with 4H but I mostly use 4L.
    BUT!! conditions vary from week to week and even day to day - I have had days where the beach is steep on a high tide and both launching and retrieving require all tyres to be deflated to around 1.1 and other days where trailering the boat is easy but getting through the thick sand to get off the beach requires 4L, deflated tyres and serious momentum.......tractor often required
    In Mozambique all the tyres stay deflated for the duration of the stay and all our vehicles have a tow strap permanently attached - winches are a big help.
    FJC - Just Cruising

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

How far from road to shore break. ? Cant you use rollers.?

Quote Originally Posted by Davedusty View Post
    When using the break-neck wheels can dig in.
    One shouldn't use the break neck when beach launching and pushing the boat into the surf.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    It really depends on the conditions, I have launched many, many times here in Durban in similar conditions and almost never deflated the trailer tyres and seldom had to deflate the vehicle tyres, some of the time you can get away with 4H but I mostly use 4L.
    BUT!! conditions vary from week to week and even day to day - I have had days where the beach is steep on a high tide and both launching and retrieving require all tyres to be deflated to around 1.1 and other days where trailering the boat is easy but getting through the thick sand to get off the beach requires 4L, deflated tyres and serious momentum.......tractor often required
    In Mozambique all the tyres stay deflated for the duration of the stay and all our vehicles have a tow strap permanently attached - winches are a big help.
    A tow strap is good.

While recovering and you get stuck to a point where you have no chance of a quick recovery - unhitch the boat and save the tow vehicle. Worry about the boat and trailer once the tow car is safe.

When I was still doing deep-sea I had a philosophy that if things go pear shaped, I will ditch the boat rather than trying to get back to the launch site. It then becomes the insurers problem. Either beach it or abandon it at back line.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I watch the YouTube video's of the South Coast launches, Shelly Beach etc. Some are rather exciting. Seen a couple of launches from Sodwana. Trying to get tips and ideas.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Andrew, I have launched plenty at Park Rynie, Shelly Beach and Umkomaas and for the last 9 years in Plett.

I deflate the breakneck trailer tyres to 1 bar, keep them at that. Vehicle down to 1.2 bar as usually by the time you return, temps are higher, sand hotter, low range, no difflock. I reverse trailer until wheels are just on surf line, breakneck and help boat to loosen on the trailer, move forward slowly until boat drops off, pull up to parking area, turn boat into surf, push in, jump on, drop motor if it has electric trim, start up, warm a bit if you don't do this before launching which is always a good idea. Read the waves so you have easiest push in without waves breaking over nose.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

One shouldn't use the break neck when beach launching and pushing the boat into the surf.
    Why not? I have done this for 20 odd years and no issue. How else do you get the boat off the trailer unless you happy to push the whole trailer in the ocean....depending on the size of the boat of course. Gemini 550 with 2x50hps and now Fusion 17 with 100hp.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

If you like watching boat launches.... there is a channel that show every days launches at St Lucia in northern natal on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-bc3eHuMY
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chukudeer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Why not? I have done this for 20 odd years and no issue. How else do you get the boat off the trailer unless you happy to push the whole trailer in the ocean....depending on the size of the boat of course. Gemini 550 with 2x50hps and now Fusion 17 with 100hp.
    I seen a few guys do this but its very boat and conditions dependant, some of the big cats at Sodwana come to mind.....I always break and have chains restricting how far it drops.
    FJC - Just Cruising

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Here is one of my launches, yes, it was a perfect day in Moz and the surf was basically flat but you get the drift of it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6BoPBo62o
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chukudeer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I seen a few guys do this but its very boat and conditions dependant, some of the big cats at Sodwana come to mind.....I always break and have chains restricting how far it drops.
    Agree but Andrew does not have a huge CAT so advising on his application otherwise all the advice gets confusing.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post
    Here is one of my launches, yes, it was a perfect day in Moz and the surf was basically flat but you get the drift of it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6BoPBo62o
    Nice, Thats what you want even with larger surf. With a smaller boat you dont even need to get the launch vehicle wheels wet.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Very naughty not wearing life jackets Chuck although yes no real surf to speak of. Thats pretty much how we do it as well as far as the launch go`s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast