Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Surf Boat Launching

Quote Originally Posted by Swys14 View Post
    I see you are in Perlemoenbaai (between Stanford's bay and Gansbaai). I know the area well. Which launching site (s) are you planning to use? I think you'll be OK.

Yes, I would also deflate, and use all the difflocks and 4wd equipment the vehicle offers like chuk mentions, better safe than sorry, especially with surf launching.
    I normally launch from Gansbaai Harbour. But that leaves me 10Nm aways from the good fishing waters. Getting to these waters would entail navigating around Danger Point, which is not called that for nothing. So that leaves two other spots to launch from, Kleinbaai and Blouwater Baai at Pearly Beach.

My single crew member cannot reverse a trailer nor are they comfortable with the boat. So I pretty much have to do everything, launching from Kleinbaai could be a problem as the Whale Watching Boats, Shark Cage Diving Boats and the Kelp Boats all launch from there and it gets busy, I fear I will irk the commercial boys who have tractor drivers employed and who can launch real quick and they drive their boats onto the trailer on return. So they are so waxed. I need to tie off at the very small jetty (almost in the way), fetch the trailer, reverse, load the boat and get out. I can foresee problems until I can get the crew up to speed.

Here is Kleinbaai.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kleinbaai.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	714629

Here is Blouwaterbaai. The red track is the route to drive. Once you enter the beach it is a two track path with very thick and soft sand. You can see a car and trailer parked as well as a boat being launched.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blouwaterbaai.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	714631
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2024/02/21 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedusty View Post
    When using the break-neck wheels can dig in.
    I'm trying to understand the mechanics of this comment. Could you explain a bit more please?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post
    If you like watching boat launches.... there is a channel that show every days launches at St Lucia in northern natal on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-bc3eHuMY
    Yip I watch these.

Kleinbaai is no issue. Not that busy and everybody is quite chilled
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Kleinbaai is no issue. Not that busy and everybody is quite chilled
    I have been warned about snotty attitudes by members of our Boating Club who launch from there during competitions. I'll take a drive out and speak to some of the people there, maybe the tractor drivers will also launch our boat, that solves all the problems.

Kleinbaai is the easiest, reverse trailer to one side of slip way so you don't block anyone. Hop out, push boat off trailer and hop on from nose or reverse boat off trailer if deep enough to start engine, crewman pulls the car and trailer into parking lot. You start up and meet him at the tie up. Coming back in I would tie up, fetch trailer and then pull up onto trailer and away you go. It gets easy to do. You have just as much right to use the slipway and shouldn't feel intimidated.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Andrew, I have launched plenty at Park Rynie, Shelly Beach and Umkomaas and for the last 9 years in Plett.

I deflate the breakneck trailer tyres to 1 bar, keep them at that. Vehicle down to 1.2 bar as usually by the time you return, temps are higher, sand hotter, low range, no difflock. I reverse trailer until wheels are just on surf line, breakneck and help boat to loosen on the trailer, move forward slowly until boat drops off, pull up to parking area, turn boat into surf, push in, jump on, drop motor if it has electric trim, start up, warm a bit if you don't do this before launching which is always a good idea. Read the waves so you have easiest push in without waves breaking over nose.
    That would be near impossible to do on the North Coast with it's shore breaks.
    But like I said, I don't know the Cape launce sites so can't comment.

We do it a bit different here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF8pPkmFq5U

Good luck with dropping your boat on the surf line and parking the vehicle in KZN.
    If we have to use a trailer we don't break the neck to get the boat into and through the shore dump, else you will drop the boat on the sand when the wave pulls back, then you are toast.
    Not much time to warm motors either, when you hit the water you better be ready to be on the throttle.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Andrew, I have launched plenty at Park Rynie, Shelly Beach and Umkomaas and for the last 9 years in Plett.

I deflate the breakneck trailer tyres to 1 bar, keep them at that. Vehicle down to 1.2 bar as usually by the time you return, temps are higher, sand hotter, low range, no difflock. I reverse trailer until wheels are just on surf line, breakneck and help boat to loosen on the trailer, move forward slowly until boat drops off, pull up to parking area, turn boat into surf, push in, jump on, drop motor if it has electric trim, start up, warm a bit if you don't do this before launching which is always a good idea. Read the waves so you have easiest push in without waves breaking over nose.
    I am not criticizing you or saying your description in launching is wrong.
    What you have explained is correct.

Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

I think it is also a confidence / lack of understanding the slipway etiquette thing. Although an experienced inland boater, I have launched my own boat probably 6 or 7 times now into the big salty dam, and all from the safety of a quiet calm harbour. This is all part of gaining experience, it will soon become a doddle I am sure.

I have lived this long not because of luck, but because of circumspection, I do not plan on pushing my luck anytime soon .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4L7kEWrQM

Try to keep vehicles as far away from the surf zone as possible.

Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4L7kEWrQM

Try to keep vehicles as far away from the surf zone as possible.
    Saw that one a couple of nights ago, expensive launch. Does insurance cover for that as it is not normal vehicle usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Saw that one a couple of nights ago, expensive launch. Does insurance cover for that as it is not normal vehicle usage.
    I don't know Andrew, but I thought of the same thing while watching that video.
    My guess would be a no

Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I'm trying to understand the mechanics of this comment. Could you explain a bit more please?
    Hello Andrew

Depending on the weight of the boat and the angle of the beach, you often need to brake in order to get the trailer to break. Any braking on sand does cause a digging in of one set of wheels of the vehicle, depending whether you are using a front or rear tow hitch for launching. My experience is primarily on kzn launches, which may well have softer launch sand, but I prefer to err on the side of caution than risk my vehicle going for a swim.

Edit If you are putting the boat into dam like conditions, I guess things can be done a whole lot slower
    Last edited by Davedusty; 2024/02/21 at 02:21 PM.

Cape Town, Tokai/Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal

Gansbaai and Kleinbaai are public launch sites. Bluewaterbay is an allowed beach launch site. As is Blousloep in Franskraal.

I would launch at Gansbaai, run SE to Dyer Island and fish for bottoms there, or run south to the deep. Dont worry about anyone else, you have the same rights as they do.

Launching at Kleinbaai is easy, and yes, there are the big 42 footers, but if you can, just tie up on the other side of the jetty, or linger while your trailer is being parked, then pick up and go. Big warning, there is a beam wave on exiting the channel, just be aware of it.

Launch in Franskraal, run out about 1km and head round to the beach side, plenty Kob and elf around there.

Launch in Hermanus, same same.

You have a boat, a ticket and your boat is surveyed, don't let anyone alse boss you around on the slip. They are there by the same grace and laws as you. You take your turn and launch a boat that is ready to launch. Don't be removing tailboards and packing stuff in the boat when you are in the "breech" to launch. Do that beforehand and you'll be fine.
    Isuzu KB300 d-Teq with high range, low range and long range.
    Isuzu KB280DT wif a front diff.
    Mercedes W123 300D has been sold.
    Bio Fuel and WVO on hold for now.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    Gansbaai and Kleinbaai are public launch sites. Bluewaterbay is an allowed beach launch site. As is Blousloep in Franskraal.
    So I went walkabout to suss out the lay of the land. Kleinbaai should not pose a problem, the draft on my duck is such that even at low tide I should be able to occupy the inner berth at Kleinbaai.

I would launch at Gansbaai, run SE to Dyer Island and fish for bottoms there, or run south to the deep. Dont worry about anyone else, you have the same rights as they do.
    Thats sounds fine but I must confess I have been out at Danger Point and there are some rather larger rouge swells and waves there. I am building experience so perhaps should try that next. The Kleinbaai launch was an attempt to overcome Danger Point.

Launching at Kleinbaai is easy, and yes, there are the big 42 footers, but if you can, just tie up on the other side of the jetty, or linger while your trailer is being parked, then pick up and go. Big warning, there is a beam wave on exiting the channel, just be aware of it.
    On the Starboard beam?

Launch in Franskraal, run out about 1km and head round to the beach side, plenty Kob and elf around there.
    OK.

You have a boat, a ticket and your boat is surveyed, don't let anyone alse boss you around on the slip. They are there by the same grace and laws as you. You take your turn and launch a boat that is ready to launch. Don't be removing tailboards and packing stuff in the boat when you are in the "breech" to launch. Do that beforehand and you'll be fine.
    Agreed, I am mindful of the more experienced boaters who are able to do things much quicker. My concerns are probably unfounded, in any event I usually launch way before the tourist industry does so should not be in the way of the larger boats.

I like a surf launch but i am used to launching a Jetski or small duck

vehicle tyres deflated to 1 bar
    you can deflate trailer tyres to 1 bar as well

when retrieving, fasten boat to trailer with winch rope and pull out of surf line and make sure you travel straight, then boat will line up with trailer

reverse till trailer is under nose
    start winching

always in 4wd, low or high depends on trailer load and sand softness.
    i say 4 low range.
    keep straight (no sharp turns in sand with load, take wide turns
    keep momentum

if you are going to stop, stop on hard sand

Slipway: loosen boat from trailer, then tie a rope +- 2 x boat length to trailer and boat nose

when launching run trailer a bit deeper so that the boat floats
    then pull forward so that the trailer has released the boat and the boat is floating but still attached

one man launch

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:

Spend time to watch the locals and the holiday makers launch their boats.
    Keep close watch on the sea tides.
    Try to befriend locals and if you can go fishing with them. Learn from them the way they fish and what bait do they use.
    If there is a clube join them

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nico H For This Useful Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3YOttm4Nc

Why get in a deep as possible and on the throttles, this video sums it all up very well.

Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2