Default Re: Complicated overlanding.

Alex,

But were they comfortable ?
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

I like being prepared, hence I tend to over pack some what, but I am very efficient at packing. I enjoy finding a spot for everything.

That being said, I have had proper leka trips with the bare minimum, I also enjoy the trips where wife,kids, mother in law & kitchen sink goes with.

3 things I don't compromise on though is:

1. A comfy place to sleep, not luxury just comfy. Good sleeping bag, my 2 pillows and stretch+ mattress. I have spent many nights like that under the awning. I actually prefer that vs. Ground tent.

2. My fridge goes with. I don't sukkel with coolerboxes and melted ice.

3. My braai box goes with. I hate nothing more than not having proper grid,tongs and coal krapper. I also buy a new box of blitz on every trip, I go camping to relax. Not to sukkel or to prove how manly I am that I can start a fire with the hair off a squirrels nuts. I gooi the blitz nice and big to make sure the fire gets going the 1st time.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to souti For This Useful Post:

So maybe it boils down to something like this :

https://youtu.be/5dIMHoj-mRA?si=SwnO2tG0UgBo4f_k

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

the one with the mostest toys winnith!
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

https://gfolk.me/HermanEngelbrecht475422

There are certain aspects of that video that bring back some memories (not clearly now) of my days at UPE Uni.
    I was just camping closer to the institution of "learning" rather than in a caravan park or campground ....
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post

When they get to 5Yrs old I will start dropping the nice to haves one by one until we in a hammock with only MREs and tablet purified river water
    Hammock camping...A man of culture I see!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mileage For This Useful Post:

I have traveled entire Cape (i.e. North, South, East and West), Namibia, Botswana and Lesotho with my three year old in a Nissan Patrol with just RTT and basic Kitchen setup at the back.
    Last edited by ra_01; 2024/02/22 at 08:54 AM.
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Mileage View Post
    Hammock camping...A man of culture I see!
    I prefer the hammock to the camp bed. Sometimes when I camp I sleep just outside on the hammock on purpose. Wife is very confused by it but I just love it, such a nice sleep being blown in the wind.
    It lives under my seat for whenever I might need a nap or even great for kiddos afternoon nap.
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

I also want to comment I also want in!

Comment!

Does not often happen that its the end of a thread with the second comment, but this should have been one

Nice and simple for overlanding works best.

Rooftop for 2 pax or Pop up for solo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botswana2023-113.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	714734  
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

Why not having luxury now. No foldouts, inside bed, shower and toilet inside, movers, and aircon IF there is power.

As young guys we started off using a Renault 8R traveling Bots and Zim, with a stretcher and sleeping bag, no cooler box, no tent. We could not get through from Maun to Kazungula, so we had to go back via Francois Town. In South Rhodesia Ian Smith's army blocked as at some place where we wanted to go.

Anyway the overlanding improved over the years using a SUV later and tent, then upgrade cooler box to a 12V fridge. Then a trailer , then a smaller caravan, a Camper on a bakkie, which is still there and the bigger caravan.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    We went full circle. From the bare necessities to a trailer full of gadgets back to only the essentials. One thing I do not compromise on is to sleep well. No point in being on holiday if I don't sleep well. All other things can be compromised on.
    My top 5 list for Botswana:
    1. Tyres
    2. Canopy if DC bakkie
    3. Battery system and fridge
    4. Easy to set-up & pack away tent.
    5. Fuel & Water

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wessa1999 For This Useful Post:

Seems akin to status symbols of old - this time around it must be the most intimidating 4x4 and most monstrous camping suit money can buy. Interesting I noted a neighbour having replaced his almost brand new top of the range Toyotas with Nissans? Assume is must have something to do with the formers' theft risk.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Our trick is to differentiate between want and need, in the latter category we start with what we call mission critical first in terms of keeping the vehicle going fuel, spare tyre, tyre repairs, recovery kit etc no compromise. Then what would you need if you were stranded, we use 3 days as our parameter this is where water, food and communication devices emerge. From here on you are into the want category and it's really up to you and what the vehicle can carry safely as to what to include. Generally we set ourselves up to be self sufficient for a 10 day stretch. A RTT and awning is more than enough for our needs so no trailer required.

Our luxuries are good chairs, trail cam, a portable weber braai, 12v shower, one fridge on freeze (for ice), console drinks fridge and icebox. This is what makes things comfortable and I honestly can't think of what we are missing or would like to add.
    And here, dear readers, is good, sound common (?) sense. Apart from the RTT, I fully concur with the above. I have been "overlanding" for over 40 years. First by bicycle (2years and 16 000km) then in a '72 Kombi, next in various fancy 4x4's for Leisure Wheels mag and most recently in a 2011 Prado 150 V6. I don't like towing, but as I take guests in my vehicle, often this is unavoidable so I have upgraded the suspension (thanks Darryl and his dad of Mikem) of a Venter Voyager with 14" tyres to take our kit and baggage. http://www.ventertrailers.co.za/voya...ale-17262.aspx

I still do overnight hiking routes in wilderness areas carrying all in a backpack. I go into the wild to "get away from it all" and that includes stuff.

My best "overlanding" purchase ever? Four of the 3-person Campcraft instant tents. Myself and group can have camp set up and be ready to braai and sip a brew 10 minutes after arriving. My complete camp set up for 7 folk takes 30 mins max to pack up too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mozguide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by louisw View Post
    Seems akin to status symbols of old - this time around it must be the most intimidating 4x4 and most monstrous camping suit money can buy. Interesting I noted a neighbour having replaced his almost brand new top of the range Toyotas with Nissans? Assume is must have something to do with the formers' theft risk.
    Post has no value

Quote Originally Posted by louisw View Post
    Wat try jou nou eitlik se wat by die topic pas? Is jy OK?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

LOL Hedgehog, ons is op dieselle baldsy.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

We did our first 4x4 trip down from Hondeklipbaai to Lambertsbaai in 1993. Had a 12v cooler (rubbish idea) Coleman kerosene lamp and a portapotti. Roof tent on the Ford Courier and ground tent fo the 2 kids. No GPS only 1:50000 paper maps. Magnificent!

Then we went to trailers and caravans etc. everyone touts their product on how fast you can setup. But it's all the other shite (must have according to the sales peeps) that needs packing that takes time.

30yrs on, after going to Namibia and Tanzania and everything between, we now have an old small 4x4 caravan, one fridge, enough water, and a little extra diesel. Bed is good and it sets up easily. We no longer carry the shite with us and only fresh water comes from home.

Now it's easy come, easy go
    Ubbo

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ubbo For This Useful Post:

S&J

Engel fridge? Now that was fancy. My first serious trip I had an icebox that came from an icecream vendor’s bicycle (Colemans etc were unheard of here yet!) and blocks of dry ice (wrapped in layers of newspaper to keep it from evaporating too quickly!) And it was often possible to buy more dry ice along the road in bigger cities.

Kept meat & chicken (chicken was a luxury back then) frozen solid - and I mean really solid - for well over a week and would freeze what I bought at the roadside chop-chop too!

As for showers - 99% of my camping/overlanding has been in really remote or wild places and - when water was available - a 25-litre cooking-oil drum with the lid cut out that I carried on the roof rack, stood next to the fire to heat up, then a late night “shower” using a long-handled pot to scoop water over my head & body while standing on a rubber floor mat next to the fire was and still is my idea of heaven!

And of course, when water was in short supply, there were many days when my wife & I would have to make do with a washbasin with a little warm water and a washcloth or sponge to do a “basin bath”! We never went to bed dirty, no matter where we were!

But alas, yes, modern times have changed me, and now I do have a double compartment fridge freezer plus a second 12v fridge/freezer used mainly for fresh salad & veg, and drinks.

But I still prefer to put up a tent & sleep on mother earth!

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Are we not in a fashion of over complicating overlanding and camping for ourselves?

When I did my first trip, I had a single Engel fridge, a roof rack with a rooftop tent, camping chairs a galvanized bucket with a little 12 volt shower and some lamps. Nice and simple back then.

Now, it's huge caravans, up to three fridges with a huge power system and putting out solar panels at each stop. Very overloaded vehciles with camper conversions, stoves, ovens, fancy coffee makers, showers, and everything one can possible fit in. Part of travelling now is stressing about all the kit working correctly. Unpacking and packing up at each stop consists of a lot of items.

Or does the new way actually make overlanding less stessful and easier?
    Last edited by DarylB; 2024/02/26 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Are we not in a fashion of over complicating overlanding and camping for ourselves?

When I did my first trip, I had a single Engel fridge, a roof rack with a rooftop tent, camping chairs a galvanized bucket with a little 12 volt shower and some lamps. Nice and simple back then.

Now, it's huge caravans, up to three fridges with a huge power system and putting out solar panels at each stop. Very overloaded vehciles with camper conversions, stoves, ovens, fancy coffee makers, showers, and everything one can possible fit in. Part of travelling now is stressing about all the kit working correctly. Unpacking and packing up at each stop consists of a lot of items.

Or does the new way actually make overlanding less stessful and easier?
    Well, there is camping, and then there is overlanding. Camping (IMO) is packing up and going to a destination, staying there and then returning home. Often done with the family and friends. The atmosphere is a relaxed weekend/weeks away from the city

Overlanding is exploring new territories. You are not really certain what you will find (which is part of the thrill) and you need to be prepared for many different situations. More "maybe" equipment (like food prep tables, some sort of shower, the bush toilet) but probably less fun stuff (bicycles, rubber ducks). Of course there are those who confuse the two (both ways) and that's up to them

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast