Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Sani pass

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,825
    Thanked: 1505

    Default Re: Sani pass

    The last time I went to the pub (last year sometime), I had to sit and listen to a couple of locals banging on paint tins and playing a one string guitar for handouts, right on the edge of a beautiful view.

    I was not sure whether to jump off myself or push them over.

    If the R50 gets rid of what sounded like a group of people strangling a cat, I'll gladly pay, even without a voucher to redeem.
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 2024/02/12 at 12:54 PM.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,726
    Thanked: 43707

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    Quite. Anyone know what 4x4 grade Sani is rated? I haven't been able to find it online.

    I know it isn't a very accurate measurement, but would be interested to know as a general guide. I would like to do it later this year.
    1. Easy. This trail is suitable for 4x2s with diff lock or for a beginner in a 4x4 softroader.

    2. Easy to moderate. Some off road driving experience and four wheel drive vehicle are necessary.

    3. Moderate. 4x4 driving experience and low range are recommended.

    4. Difficult. A challenging trail on difficult terrain, exclusively for experienced drivers. Low range, diff lock and recovery gear strongly recommended.

    5. Extreme. This trail is only suitable for off road experts with serious 4x4s and recovery support. It should never be undertaken alone.

    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/56161-Grading-of-trails?p=474721#post474721


    Craig, nothing more than a 3 max, but very dependent on weather conditions at the time. I did an up, down and up again on one day and the weather and surface had changed on each trip.

    Only on one occasion, did the family get out and walk, due to wash aways forcing me on to crumbling edges.

    Deep snow could be a different scenario, 4 to 5, but they would usually shut the road down if those conditions prevailed.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

    ''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

    Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Benoni
    Posts
    758
    Thanked: 918

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Anyone here have experience towing a trailer or caravan up Sani Pass?

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 687

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post

    ---snip---

    Nothing more than a 3 max, but very dependent on weather conditions at the time. I did an up, down and up again on one day and the weather and surface had changed on each trip.

    Only on one occasion, did the family get out and walk, due to wash aways forcing me on to crumbling edges.

    Deep snow could be a different scenario, 4 to 5, but they would usually shut the road down if those conditions prevailed.
    Thanks Estee.
    Last edited by CraigWatt; 2024/02/12 at 01:30 PM.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,825
    Thanked: 1505

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Anyone here have experience towing a trailer or caravan up Sani Pass?

    Provided there is no ice, and you have 4x4, possibly better with low range if towing, there there's really no challenge.

    The trailer or caravan should have some off road bias in terms of suspension and ground clearance.

    Sani is steep towards the end with lots of loose rock on the surface, but there are no real obstacles to speak of.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanked: 15186

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Anyone here have experience towing a trailer or caravan up Sani Pass?
    I have towed a Commander up it, but it was dry
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2024/02/12 at 01:37 PM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    Old Wheeler

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  11. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Benoni
    Posts
    758
    Thanked: 918

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I have towed a Commander up it, but it was dry
    Great. Maybe you can share some photos with us of that.

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Viljoenskroon
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    1. Easy. This trail is suitable for 4x2s with diff lock or for a beginner in a 4x4 softroader.

    2. Easy to moderate. Some off road driving experience and four wheel drive vehicle are necessary.

    3. Moderate. 4x4 driving experience and low range are recommended.

    4. Difficult. A challenging trail on difficult terrain, exclusively for experienced drivers. Low range, diff lock and recovery gear strongly recommended.

    5. Extreme. This trail is only suitable for off road experts with serious 4x4s and recovery support. It should never be undertaken alone.

    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/56161-Grading-of-trails?p=474721#post474721


    Craig, nothing more than a 3 max, but very dependent on weather conditions at the time. I did an up, down and up again on one day and the weather and surface had changed on each trip.

    Only on one occasion, did the family get out and walk, due to wash aways forcing me on to crumbling edges.

    Deep snow could be a different scenario, 4 to 5, but they would usually shut the road down if those conditions prevailed.
    Last edited by My4x4; 2024/02/12 at 04:28 PM.

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Viljoenskroon
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Yeah, I would agree. Low range needed, so 3 sound right. Also, if a Hiace taxi makes it up there with passengers....then you know...
    A couple walked up and we passed them after about 100m. They arrived at the top about 10 min after us.
    I asked the guy if he needs a lift down, so he said no, they are in a hurry...

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to My4x4 For This Useful Post:


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,593
    Thanked: 1025

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by My4x4 View Post
    My post was to add my opinion to the condition of the road, but as usual, one gets blasted for raising an opinion. I have never had to pay to cross a border into a different country, and frankly, keeping up the condition of their roads is their responsibility. As to the forceful payment to go to the edge of the cliff, yes, it should be an option, and we probably would have spent more money if we were not forced to pay in the first place.

    Whaaat, you have never had to pay cross border fees to enter any country... well that means you have never crossed a border into a another country.

    I can tell you now, and trust me, I have traveled and crossed many borders in Africa and every border has a border fee.
    RechardT

    Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

    You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

  16. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,726
    Thanked: 43707

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I have towed a Commander up it, but it was dry
    Did you have a bakkie at the time and another vehicle with you? I saw a nut case doing it on the way up when I was on the way down, many years ago. Was that you Hedge?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

    ''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

    Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,593
    Thanked: 1025

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    Quite. Anyone know what 4x4 grade Sani is rated? I haven't been able to find it online.

    I know it isn't a very accurate measurement, but would be interested to know as a general guide. I would like to do it later this year.
    You cannot grade Sani at a glance as Sanis grade changes from season to season depending on weather conditions.
    Unless you are referring to Sani as an obstacle, which it is not.

    Going up is one thing, Going down in snow is a another animal.
    RechardT

    Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

    You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:


  19. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,786
    Thanked: 748

    Default Re: Sani pass

    When do they finish tarring it? I want to take it on in my Alfa..


    Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Bellissimo!
    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 (sold)
    Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (sold but still near to me)
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:


  21. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    928
    Thanked: 249

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    Quite. Anyone know what 4x4 grade Sani is rated? I haven't been able to find it online.

    I know it isn't a very accurate measurement, but would be interested to know as a general guide. I would like to do it later this year.
    Generally Sani Pass is a grade 2....however......at this time of year it can degerate quite quickly to a 3.....maybe..... and if there is snow it can easily become undriveable so to apply a blanket grading is expremely difficult.
    Most of the time it is no problem in a standard 4x4 with low range.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kippie2 For This Useful Post:


  23. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 687

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    When do they finish tarring it? I want to take it on in my Alfa..
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi


  24. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    50
    Posts
    5,376
    Thanked: 4234

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by My4x4 View Post
    Also, if a Hiace taxi makes it up there with passengers....then you know...
    You do realize that the Hiaces you see on Sani are 4wd with low range hey?
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:


  26. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Viljoenskroon
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    You do realize that the Hiaces you see on Sani are 4wd with low range hey?
    I know what those Hiace's look like, and this one I saw was a normal one.

  27. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,825
    Thanked: 1505

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by My4x4 View Post
    I know what those Hiace's look like, and this one I saw was a normal one.

    It's highly unlikely that a standard Hiace 2wd is going up Sani.

    It's too steep in the switchbacks and too many loose rocks. Traction will be immensely challenging.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  28. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    50
    Posts
    5,376
    Thanked: 4234

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by My4x4 View Post
    I know what those Hiace's look like, and this one I saw was a normal one.
    The only visible difference is the hubs on the front wheels. And those can have caps covering them.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

  29. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanked: 15186

    Default Re: Sani pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Did you have a bakkie at the time and another vehicle with you? I saw a nut case doing it on the way up when I was on the way down, many years ago. Was that you Hedge?
    LOL, Might have been. I was in a Navara
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    Old Wheeler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •