Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fivestar vs "Flagship brands" vs ??

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Let me tell you - I have helped many people, with advise - dealer prices and no mark up - friends and family and even forum members.

And EVERY time it has come back and bitten me in the ass.

Thats why I don't do it any more.
    Even a charitable cause requires initial boundry's to be set. One can also paint over the ignorance and sheer laziness of people, especially with technical, multi-faceted concepts.
    The broken trust factor in our society could have also been the motivation, even if, practically and statistically speaking, there is a high risk to the existing relationship.
    The odds were never in your favour, maybe the rules need an overhaul?

My question would be.Do you want to remain friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Yeah, aware of that. But Victron have a number of batteries they support, including Victron, SolarMD, Pylontech, Hubble, Discover, BYD, Bluenova. Sunsynch approve FreedomWon, Pylon, Revov, Dyness (a lot more) etc.

Install any of those with a non-approved battery and you're going to have the inverter guys ignoring your support calls for interoperability calls, and quite likely the battery guys telling you the inverter is faulty.
    A good point and rule of thumb for system design. Sticking by the various manufacturer recommendations for All connected components.

Fivestar seems to communicate via 485/CAN which should interface with a Multiplus inverter/charger and MK3 programming unit, alongside the MPPT's.

For larger systems with multiple 'smart' batteries, or if a scalable system is required, Victron / Venus OS will only interface with a BMS via the Modbus-TCP protocol.

I'd say of coupling smart batteries to legacy systems without the ability of the user / installer to access live readings / diagnostics, likely without the support of the factory, as quite dangerous.

The other side ... I have also helped friends/family/forum members.

Made sure people "listened" to the restraints/constraints, shortcomings. The "why not", the risks, where to ask more detailed questions. Will walk away - and have done so a few times - one gets a "gut feel" when your job is IT software support, of who "can take it" and who cannot.

The bottom line:
    If you buy cheap, you can NOT expect the "Flagship brands" level of support/production/warranties when things go sideways, not working as expected, or not getting what you thought.

There are reasons why things are cheaper.

That always gets "lost" in all the emotions when things don't work.

Buy cheap and expect/accept the risks involved ... NOTHING wrong with that.

But it is wrong to accept the "great prices" ... and then "turn" on the one that tried to help you, when it was done in good faith/to help, for free.

There, I said it.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

We put in Deye inverter / 2.x Deye 6.1kWh batteries. Came down to what the installer recommended, and that Deye has a subsidiary in SA, not working through an importer.
    We got a 10 year warranty on batteries and inverter due to both being Deye. A few other Deye installations in our lane as well.

Deye also manufactures for a few other popular local brands such as Sunsynk, and seems to be quite popular in SA.

A week after install, one of the batteries faulted out. The installer took it in to to the supplier, who contacted Deye. Upshot was a software update fixed it. Deye also dialed into the other battery at the same time to install the same software update. Quite a painless process, and the product is well documented on set up and configuration, enough that I can change configuration myself quite easily.

If you are looking to integrate to a smart home system such as Home Assistant, it helps to have one of the more popular mid-range brands as the integration is well understood: one of my prerequisites when selecting a system.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tshelver For This Useful Post:

We took the cheap route due to circumstances, total cost 80K in May last year.
    DIY installed 6 x Canadian (made in China) PV panels in setries to produce 260 v max.
    they also work well in low light and cloudy conditions.
    Fivestar 8.5 Kva inverter 48v and Ecco LIon 5Kva 48v 100 amp battery.
    No issues so far and only occasionally overloaded battery output, had to reset.
    Inverter sees battery but not vice-versa. My investigations lead me to believe that
    Fivestar is the back door model from Mecer factory, same technology.

Connections were done by local sparky who has his own system and knows his stuff.
    Had endless problems with Takealot getting a reply, won't go there again.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with Mecer because of the support
    on their forum and parts back-up. Would add at least 30K to the cost but worth it.

Powerforum.co.za have some good deals from reliable? suppliers and plenty of advice.
    Beware, the are more FBN's in the solar industry than the used car trade.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thundabolt For This Useful Post:

I would not recommend the Five-star battery

Just look at all the requirements for a warranty claim on Electromans website.

Especially the 12 V and 24 V units.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stof-lappie View Post
    We are in the process of buying a house, with the intention of having power generation and backup.
    Understanding that storage is the biggest portion of the cost, and having gone down the lead acid road already, I'm looking around at different lithium battery options.

I am not a brand snob, (no offence to anyone who prefers premium brands), but if I can get the same performance out of a brand like Fivestar, etc, then I am quite content.

I previously had a 24v Fivestar lithium battery in our old apartment, but now faced with the prospect of spending north of R30k on a battery, I would just like to know from the more learned and experienced.
    Fivestar 10KwH currently available in the R30k range, which seems to be the best value in terms of R per KwH. Is this a wise choice, or should I look to the more prominent brands, in the typical 5KwH segment, but at a higher R per KwH?
    I also recall some positive review on Fivestar inverters (Uys and Fluffy come to mind), if I'm not mistaken?

In terms of inverters, I'm looking also at brands like Fivestar, LuxPower, etc.

Panels will be whatever offers the best R per Kwp, based on availability when I pull the trigger.

Any wisdom and insight will be appreciated.
    We're on a hydro system, here in NZ, and the batteries packed up after about 12 years. They were replaced with a capacitor 2 years ago. It has enough storage to run our 3kw household for 12 hours. 3 capacitors would therefore give about 36 hours storage. Capacitors last forever, so I was told. Can't confirm that, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    We're on a hydro system, here in NZ, and the batteries packed up after about 12 years. They were replaced with a capacitor 2 years ago. It has enough storage to run our 3kw household for 12 hours. 3 capacitors would therefore give about 36 hours storage. Capacitors last forever, so I was told. Can't confirm that, but so far so good.
    Good to know. Is it possible to perhaps share more information on make etc of such a capacitor storage unit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2