Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 270 degree awning

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    So I've had the Ostrich Wing from Big Country mounted on my previous vehicle, and currently have the Alu-Cab.

The Alu-Cab is noticeably cooler than the Ostrich Wing. Last year in Kaokoland we had an Ostrich Wing and Alu-Cab open next to each other, and when moving between the two you could feel a clear difference.

The Alu-Cab, when closed has more of a box type, it looks neater to me, more aesthetically pleasing if that's your thing. I was never able to get the Ostrich wing folded up without a bulge in the bag, maybe it was me.

The Alu-Cab has a single pole fitted to the awning with a strap on each arm for fastening it down if needed, and has a little bag fixed to the frame for your pegs, the Ostrich Wing has one pole and eyes for a rope on each arm, a simple DIY and you'll have your ropes permanently fixed to the wing.

Stenght wise, I don't think there is difference, I think they are both quality products. I've utilised both without dropping a pole or pegging down, if I had to drop the pole and anchor everytime I stopped for lunch, or needed shade for a short period, I would never use it.

At my time of purchase the Alu-Cab was a couple of bucks cheaper than the Ostrich Wing, and it fitted easily to my RTT, other than that, they are both very good products.
    Thank you very much for the detailed response 🙌

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LdP For This Useful Post:

Ek het die 180 grade een van Shorty Adventures op my bakkie. Dis wel die korter een.
    Hy is ook unsupported as ek dit so kan noem en het al deur redelike wind gestaan. Vinnig en maklik om op en af te slaan. Prys was ook redelik. Net bietjie aan die swaarder kant as die res soos ek verstaan
    2019 Isuzu X Rider 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreV For This Useful Post:

LdP

Quote Originally Posted by woogs View Post
    I will hopefully be picking up one of these from BushCo soon, they seem to be really beefy when I looked at them in person:

270 XT MAX™ Awning | BushCo South Africa (bushcosa.co.za)

I will have to see how it goes as its will be my first 270 awning, but they feel like they will survive the cape storms we get.
    Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post
    The above mentioned awnings are all from reputable manufacturers and generally are good quality.
    When choosing, I would suggest taking note of the following:

- Shape that fits your usage/vehicle adequately
    - Ease of use when deploying and taking down
    - Reflective top side, as this really does help reduce heat under the awning
    - Tie down points as bare minimum, drop down poles with tie down ropes/storm straps preferable (NB!)
    - Weight!

The last point I would really look at seriously when buying a 270 awning.
    This "free standing" story in my opinion is when there is very little to no wind present. In a proper storm or strong coastal winds, having drop down poles and proper tie downs is the only way to secure an awning sufficiently.

I purchased a "free standing" 270 awning and I found out very soon after that an awning is not meant to be unsecured with wind.
    One thing to also consider is weight.

The 270 XT MAX™ Awning is strong but its heavy!

"The 270 XT MAX™ Awning is 2.3m long when packed away, weighs only 33.5Kg"

That is some serious weight to be hanging on the side of your roof rack.

Its at leased 10kg heavier that the competition.

BunduAwn is 20kg

Alu-Cab 270º Shadow Awning is 24kg

Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Awning is 21kg
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

UVA 270 Awning (youtube.com)

Oom Danie's ( user danie1957 ) son in Germiston..
    Last edited by GertMan; 2024/02/14 at 10:12 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GertMan For This Useful Post:

Do you really, really need
    a 1-time swing-out 270deg awning ?
    Once you paid for it, mounted and transported it … its definitely impressive
    to swing-out 270deg of shade/shelter
    in a minute or two …
    but if theres wind you probably have to put in poles and guy ropes etc
    Why not go self supporting 2.25m side-awn, which has built in poles, if you need them and just an over-lapping rear-awn
    that will also achieve 270deg of shade etc
    Far less cost, weight, complexity and
    end result the same but less impressive
    by a minute or two in opening & closing.
    but if you really set on going 1-time 270
    I recommend Awnings Galore …
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2024/02/13 at 10:03 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    One thing to also consider is weight.

The 270 XT MAX™ Awning is strong but its heavy!

"The 270 XT MAX™ Awning is 2.3m long when packed away, weighs only 33.5Kg"

That is some serious weight to be hanging on the side of your roof rack.

Its at leased 10kg heavier that the competition.

BunduAwn is 20kg

Alu-Cab 270º Shadow Awning is 24kg

Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Awning is 21kg
    True the XT Max is prob one of the heaviest awnings out there but weight can play into your favour when the wind picks up.
    I think it largely depends on your vehicle setup too, if you have upgraded suspension and sway bars you will feel that weight alot less.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to woogs For This Useful Post:

I cannot comment on the other awnings but can definitely vouch for the Alucab Shadow Awn. Well made and engineered and unless the wind really pumps you do not need to lower the pole and tie down.

That said the process itself is so easy as the pole is hinged on the awning and the straps are nice and thick - so just unroll and roll back up. Their kits is just so easy to use, I have the RTT as well.

One punt for a 270 vs a normal and I have the same vehicle, is that it covers the back of the van so nicely. Really convenient when you are getting stuff out of the back whether it be in the rain or beating sun

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by danie1957 View Post
    Disagree. The one I have withstands storm weather. In a wind storm in Angola, all other awnings colapsed. Thus without any poles. No not all of them need poles
    Look forward to either seeing one in action with strong wind or a video thereof in the future.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

Nick Ryan

I’m also looking at a 270 awning and there are just so many options and without physically seeing them, it’s so difficult to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post
    Look forward to either seeing one in action with strong wind or a video thereof in the future.
    We live in one off the windiest part of the country on the east coast. Come visit and do raw camping and I will show you. Wont charge for the camping. You can even do ox trails with your 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by danie1957 View Post
    We live in one off the windiest part of the country on the east coast. Come visit and do raw camping and I will show you. Wont charge for the camping. You can even do ox trails with your 4x4
    Well post a darn video or pictures of the thing. Traveling to you to look at something costs more than purchasing one.
    Mike

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

I put the DAG 270 awning on this week.

Very impressed with the frame, also the usable shade is more more than the alucab 270 on the cruiser, though that was one of the 1st Gen ones so it could be better on the newer ones. The Alucab one has some cracks in the frame which I suspect is from wind. They all on the ends of the frame where the tied own straps slide in. It is a 9 year old awning and been true a few trips and been on 3 different vehicles already.

As for the DAG awning, it has legs on all the arms, which is an extra 30 seconds of setup time, but I prefer it as it puts less stress on the roof rack when setup.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

21. The Following User Says Thank You to souti For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Well post a darn video or pictures of the thing. Traveling to you to look at something costs more than purchasing one.
    Post #24

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GertMan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Not manufacturing it for great profits like the commersial guys, so spend your money there. A video means nothing as you can't feel or see the wind force.
    Where are you based

25. The Following User Says Thank You to danie1957 For This Useful Post:

I had a Hannibal side awning on my Defender and now have an Alu-cab 270° awning on my LC76. One thing I noticed is that the simple roll-out side awnings don't really give much shade when it is hot - good protection from rain but not so much from the sun. I had bought the sides for the Hannibal but only used them once - much too heavy and bulky for minimal benefit. IMO, side walls need to be of a much lighter material but I guess it depends - if you park in one spot for many days they may make more sense

The Alu-cab has the benefit of covering the back door "kitchen" area, although it does leave a gap, which Alu-cab then sells a supplementary "gutter" for. Easy enough to make your own, but kind of cheap not to include it (given the cost). The Alu-cab is strong and I rarely use the support poles. It has a tendency to collect water (as they all do?) but the trick there is to cut up a pool noodle into lengths to use as props. These foam pieces can then be used to pad the folded poles, although they will still rattle no matter how careful you stow the awning or how many extra straps you use

The Alu-cab has a single folding strut to tension the fabric and help prevent water pooling. This pushes up on the fabric but they did not think to reinforce the spot it will always sit on, so you might want some sort of thin protection there. The front of the folded enclosure is also quite vulnerable to branches, etc. in the bush, so you need to be aware and possible protect that as well

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

Hi we do have a brandnew Eezi awning 270 Manta lightwieght 21 kg...also covering back of the car for sale as we fitting a Icarus conversion to our Defender therefor have to fit alucab awning.. if you interested great awning pity for us to sell..let me know as I can give you my details..depending where you stay if you are interested

I'm going to the Caravan Show this week at Gallagher in Midrand, maybe some specials on awnings..........

Quote Originally Posted by Kroki View Post
    Hi we do have a brandnew Eezi awning 270 Manta lightwieght 21 kg...also covering back of the car for sale as we fitting a Icarus conversion to our Defender therefor have to fit alucab awning.. if you interested great awning pity for us to sell..let me know as I can give you my details..depending where you stay if you are interested
    Morning I'm interested sent a message. Tks Andre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2