Default Wild Coast Roadtrip advice please

We are planning a road trip from CT to the Wild Coast and would love some local knowledge please. We will be travelling in our Isuzu 4x4 and we aren't camping.
    We thought we would do:
    Somerset West -> Graaf Reinet
    G R -> Port Grovernor (too far?) (2 nights) (leave out?)
    P G -> Umngazi River Bungalows (3 nights)
    URB -> Hole in the wall (2 nights)
    HITW -> Cwebe National Park (1 night)
    Cwebe -> Kob Inn (2 nights)
    Kob Inn -> Cintsa (1 night)
    Cintsa -> Somerset West

Are there any places we could leave out or spend more time at. Or are there places there places we should definitely go to that we have missed?
    We are keen "back roaders" and help with the roads would be great as well.
    TIA
    Last edited by Margief; 2024/02/08 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: Wild Coast Roadtrip advice please

I don't know the current state of the really back country dirt roads, but many sections we travelled at low speed. 20-40 km/hr . So if you intend to drive everything on dirt, don't assume to do 80km/hr all the way.

Get yourself a copy of Slingsby's Wild Coast map if you don't have it. It's excellent.

If you're driving a solid front axel 4x4 (heavy on fuel), note that fuel stations are far and few between. So plan that out to be safe. For example, when we drove though coffee bay a few years back there was no fuel available. Along the N2 there is obviously a lot of fuel with roads cutting towards the coast every now and then.

If you're planning for the rain season (summer), travelling on the muddy roads will be a lot slower and more difficult than in winter, for example.

GR>PG...maybe too long? They've been retarring the N2 from EL to Umtata and rerouting it on the new N2 from Umtata via Port St Johns and up the coast, for several years now. The construction slows travel down considerably. Don't know how far they've come. There's lots of taxis and speed bumps on those roads. Goats roaming the road, etc. So dangerous to drive at "normal" main road speeds, and even more so in the dark. But it can be done...just depends on how you like to travel.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YesDear For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wild Coast Roadtrip advice please

GR>PG...is too long -agree

I drove the N2 from EL to durban a week ago. do it evey few months!
    I drove the psj route from EL to durban a month ago.
    and driving to durban again next week so I know the roads.

"They've been retarring the N2 from EL to Umtata" - the road works are complete. except for new roadworks for a short section before butterworth, but the detour good, so no time lost. N2 is a good to brilliant road most of the way to umtata. lots and lots of donkeys at the moment.

"the road the road to psj has a massive washaway for a few meters. single lane for 100 meters or so.. no loss of time.

EL to Umtata road works. near komga (resurfacing the road, will be finished shortly), roadworks on the kei cuttings (working on the slopes above the road to remove loose rocks and stabilize bank, and before butterworth. a good detour so no loss of time.

Slingsby's Wild Coast map is a must. the back roads can be rough, very rough.

Somerset West -> Graaf Reinet
    G R -> Port Grovernor (too far?) (2 nights) (leave out?) AGREE TOO FAR. NICE place BUT, far TOO FAR, GO STRAIGHT TO URB
    P G -> Umngazi River Bungalows (3 nights) URB -> Hole in the wall (2 nights)
    HITW -> Cwebe National Park (1 night) TRYING TO DO TOO MUCH, remember get a slingsby map. the fastest routes are back or almost back to the N2 each time. coastal roads are rough. you need to cut back on your night stops locations,
    Cwebe -> Kob Inn (2 nights)
    Kob Inn -> Cintsa (1 night) - DO ABLE
    Cintsa -> Somerset West - DO ABLE
    Last edited by K-9; 2024/02/12 at 09:35 PM.
    My current off-road vehicles:*** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps, Google earth and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2016 HILUX 4X4 P/U extended cab. 2011 4x4 bakkie
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416. 20x12.5 MUD tractor tyres
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * off-road
    4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1250 BMW ADVENTURE 2022, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Case 4x4 tractor. 2021
    * John Deere E140 2020 tractor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post: