Default Triton - ABS Speed Sensor

Hello All,

I have a 2008 2.5 DC 4x4.
    The ABS light has come on and I have taken the bakkie to the mechanic. The computer shows the front right speed sensor is faulty.

A new aftermarket sensor was fitted, the light went away and then a couple minutes later came back on. Mechanic thought maybe the sensor is faulty, so a second sensor was ordered, and the same thing happened to the second one.

Mechanic then says that it will need to be replaced with an original Mitsubishi sensor @ R10 000. The price for the non-genuine one was R800

I just wanted to find out if all of this sounds realistic. Would the Triton only accept original parts? and also the price of the original.

Regards

Default Re: Triton - ABS Speed Sensor

The aftermarket sensors dont last.
    I think he is taking a chance to charge R10k for an original.
    Go to a scrap yard and get an original second hand speed sensor, they are about R650
    Colin Green

"Old Wheelers"

Toyota Furtuner 3.0 d4d 4x4 manual (current)
    2015 BMW 1200R GS LC Full spec.
    Ford Ranger d/c 4x4 3.2 manual (Gave it away)
    Jurgens Exclusive(mobile home)
    VW Amarok D/c 90kw Tdi 4motion (Koni shocks - 30mm suspension lift - duel battery - drawer system)(sold)
    2001 Patrol 4.5 Grx (sold)
    2005 Prado 120 4.0v6 (sold)

Are you sure the speed sensor is the issue and not maybe the speed sensor ABS ring/teeth thing??

Not sure which method the Triton use but I had a vehicle in the past that had to get a new ABS tooth ring, as it had a bent tooth, which threw a fault code on the speed sensor as it did not count that tooth.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Does this not also happen when the clock spring is faulty?