Question Budget Friendly Runaround?

Hi all. (Mods please move if not in the right section of forum - ta)

So I recently started working full time again (YAY!). I live about 3km from my workplace and have noticed that my current 2006 Mahindra is chugging fuel like crazy (understandably so). My morning run takes less than 15 minutes, and when I get to work, the temp needle hasn't even risen to the first indicator line. I feel that this may be damaging the engine, and hence, I'm considering getting a much smaller, lighter, petrol.

So I've been looking around at some vehicles with some intent of trading in Mandy (for whatever I'll get - thinking about 40-50K due to some rust issues).

My budget would preferably be below the 200K mark, and unfortunately wouldn't be a cash purchase (damn taxes!).

The vehicles I've been looking at need to tick some boxes, such as:
    • Be economical to run and maintain.
    • Be able to survive the odd gravel road when camping and fishing (main point).
    • Be able to fit a golf bag and trolley with some ease.
    • Be safe on today's roads.
    • Be a useful town runaround with occasional long trips to visit family in other cities.
    • Be within budget and not have ridiculous Kms.
    • Be suitable for a bachelor with the occasional-potential SWAMBO...

I've been looking at the Suzuki Ignis. I have kinda fallen in love with the look of it and appreciate the ground clearance. From the various YouTube videos I've watched, it appears to be rather zippy and spacious. I haven't taken one for a drive yet but I'm very keen to see what they are like. However, I was informed today that they have a rather poor to non-existent NCAP rating, which is rather off-putting...

Alternatively:

Suzuki Swift - due to price. While I sort of like the look of the Swift, it appears to me that it would struggle with gravel roads, and also has a shoddy NCAP rating.

Alternatively:

Renault Duster (diesel) - First choice but worried about the diesel on short trips to work and back. The duster seems to tick the boxes for safety and ride height and I've seen so many good reviews on this forum about the vehicles, with a somewhat decent safety rating.

I considered the S'Presso, Kwid, etc but don't like the idea of turning into a pancake if I hit a pothole...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and welcome. Obviously I want to try and pay as little as possible to stay out of debt...

Please note that I am in the Eastern Cape...

Default Re: Budget Friendly Runaround?

Be suitable for a bachelor with the occasional-potential SWAMBO..........Hahaha well worded!

If you are willing to gooi the golf bag and trolley in separately and maybe use the back seat it would likely open up your options quite a bit.

Not sure how much gravel and what type of camping you are doing but I swear by SWAMBOs i10, we've done tons of gravel and camping/fishing in it(we'vedone over 2,500kms on gravel in it, a lot accidentally)....ground clearance being the main obstacle for it obviously. The 1.25 that we have absolutely flies compared to what people m8ght think, surprisingly great on thd open road. Definitely not going to be a chick magnet though probably too low for what you need.

I love the concept of the Duster but (ill have the mob on me shortly) the threads show that issues are very common. Yes there are guys that have never had a days problem but you need to look at averages. Browse the Duster and Duster problems thread. Probably has the potential for the best all rounder

1) NP200? Not sure what the consumption/reliability is like on the petrol though

2) Hyundai Creta....can pick up a slightly older 1 for around R200k

3) Any Suzuki that fits your wants, most are light on fuel and super reliable
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2024/02/04 at 09:23 AM.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

Thanks PJ. Thought some readers would have a chuckle...

I hadn't even considered the small bakkie idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Offroading and camping every 2-4 months so not a major deal-breaker.

I have seen the number of problem threads re the Duster, but considering the number that has been sold in the country already...

My old man strongly suggests the i-10 or maybe even the 1-20. Heard a lot of good things about them and they can run on petrol farts... I personally don't like the shape of the older gen but do think the shape of the newer i-10 Grands look good.

I'm probably being too critical with the safety of the Suzukis... They seem to be quickly gaining popularity. The Brezza would be first option but unfortunately out of my budget. Trying to save as many pennies as possible.
    Last edited by Firefly845; 2024/02/03 at 11:54 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Firefly845 For This Useful Post:

3kms?
    running shoes.
    or a bicycle.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

I was looking at a Figo this morning. I also need a cheap runaround as Iím doing crazy kilos with the ranger at the moment.

In 2013 I bought a new Figo 1.4tdci. I never should have sold it! Goes like stink and consumption can hardly be noticed. It had everything you need, A/C P/S airbags, okish sound etc. They are super cheap but im a bit concerned about the kilos on them.

For around R150k you can get the newer shape 2018 Figo 1.5tdci with sub 100k on the clock.

I love those little diesels but I think I might end up with a petrol that has a bit more kilos on. I need a cheapie for economy, not a flashy tourer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

This is s 4x4 forum...so I am going to start off with this:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...y/1.3/27362910

But a comment on the Swift - great car. Best value for money option.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

I was also going to say i10

But, if you take your time, you'll find a jimny in that price range. It's not duster or i10 economical, but will be much, much lighter than your mahindra

I am not really one for small cars, but I have recently been looking at some small car options.

One thing I can say is go look at the crash test videos. Then realise they are done at 56km/h (IIRC)...

With that being said I have been catching a lift with a co-worker in his i10 grand and it is a nice little car. Pretty light on fuel as well, but I would prefer not to take long drives in it.

The Kwid is totally out for me (look at the crash tests), and the Swifts seem to be too expensive for what you get (I liked the 1st gen).

For a R200k budget there are actually some really great options if you are willing to go slightly older. Perhaps look at the Volvo V40 CC D3, sips fuel, goes very well, safe, nice to drive and has decebt clearance.

The small bakkie idea is also great, back in the day when I had the occasional SWAMBO I had one of those (a corsa) and it was perfect, cheap to maintain, practical, a fun drive, and pretty light on fuel. Also decent clearance. It is kinda a pitty that the NP200 is the only bakkie of that class remaining, the corsa was really a lot better than both the bantam and the NP200 (I'm sure the mob will be around shortly but I have experience with all 3, and the corsa is the clear winner to my mind.)

The 2.0 TDi Audi's are also light on fuel, safe, nice to drive, oh and quattro...

'13 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi quattro - stock standard
    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro, 255-65R17 AT tires - Sold

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

A Renault Kwid is utter junk , in my opinion .
    Take a look at this , very well specced & totally overlooked & underrated

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...etown/9273839/

or this

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...ndton/9238129/
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2024/02/04 at 07:44 AM.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk & 60 to learn to keep quiet

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rodneykdc For This Useful Post:

Geepers, I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly. Thanks all!

Yea I know 3Km's is close enough for tekkies or a scooter, but I do need to transport bags (teacher - I should've gone into plumbing) with the occasional trip to Uitenhage .

I'm just going to out and say: I love the Jimny's for looks and offroading, BUT I find them unpractical with the limited space and handling on highways (mobs please don't hate me - mods please don't ban me). That being said, I'll have another look at them...

I'm on the fence with the Swift. Heard a few mixed reviews about them...

I completely forgot to look at the Audi vehicles. I love them - definitely adding to the list to look at.

With a previous potential-SWAMBO, I drove her mother's Mazda 2 and found the accelerator to be very laggy, but I'm not sure if that was just her vehicle.

I came across this...but it's from WeBuyCars

https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used/2016-Suzuki-Vitara-1.6-GLX-Allgrip-Eastern-Cape-Port-Elizabeth/9230522/

I watched some reviews on the Mahindra KUV100 (thanks Cino) and it seems to tick all of the boxes, but doesn't have an international NCAP rating...Also rather like the quirkiness of it and should run on fumes...

I reiterate: I'm not looking for an offroad tourer, but an economical everyday runaround with potential to hit the dirt. As I'm returning to the working world after a 4-year sabbatical, I won't be able to get anything this month and probably not next month. I am just keeping my eyes open to see what's available and what would best suite my needs.
    Last edited by Firefly845; 2024/02/04 at 10:20 AM.

Terios ticks your boxes and you'll find a pretty decent one and still have left to spend, if you're willing to go for a 10 year old vehicle.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/redirect/listing/27357023

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly845 View Post
    Geepers, I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly. ...
    It is always fun to spend someone else's money.

I suspect most small cars with moderate clearance will be acceptable if you invest in quality tires. The advantage of cheaper cars is that they usually have smaller diameter rims and high profile tires. This allows you to deflate when the road becomes uncomfortable.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly845 View Post
    Black? How much do you like car washing?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Black? How much do you like car washing?
    I don't like it at all but it's not going to get muddy often...

Why not hang on to your Mahindra for the camping, dirt roads, potential SWAMBO entertainment, etc and get yourself a scooter to commute to work and back? Amazingly light on fuel. Problem is, when it rains!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GlennE2 For This Useful Post:

I would look at something like an earlier Kia Sportage 2.0CRDi or the 1.6 petrol.
    Something along these lines:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...e/2.0/27088542
    Last edited by Alwyn777; 2024/02/04 at 06:24 PM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR -- Sold (I'll be back )
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi

If you hope to get R50k for current car and spend R200k on new car...

Keep current car and spend R150k on a runaround? Sorted.

That's if you have the space to keep 2 vehicles.
    Current: Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic

SWAMBO: 2020 Renault Koleos 2.5 Dynamique

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    If you hope to get R50k for current car and spend R200k on new car...

Keep current car and spend R150k on a runaround? Sorted.

That's if you have the space to keep 2 vehicles.
    R150K gets you a really good runaround.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you donít like to say things you donít likeÖÖÖ

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

You can gooi a LOT of diesel for R150k
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Toyotota Rav4 4 door - rooi gevaar

Good evening, everyone.

Needing some input from anyone that has owned a Mitsubishi Lancer...My landlord's son was detailing a 2010 Mitsu Lancer today (he's a mechanic) and I happened to strike up a conversation with the owner. The owner is emigrating to Canada next month and wants to get rid of his vehicle, hence the detailing.

Specs:
    2010 2.0L Mitsu Lancer with 272K Km on the clock. Engine was rebuilt prior to him purchasing it 3 years ago, and he's had zero problems apart from it needing oil topped up ever now and then. He's wanting around R60K for it so I took it for a test drive and all that I can say is that I'm impressed...It has a super clean interior, and exterior, and my heart is screaming at me to magically get the cash together (somehow), but what are some concerns that I should be aware about for the Lancers in general? Everything works except for the driver's seat height adjustment and one of the air vents.

I've always wanted a Lancer after driving one in a Need For Speed game years ago, and although that was just a game, they are pretty cool cars... As a daily runaround with the occasional trip to Slumtown and potential (not too rough) camping trip, I think it's a good deal...
    Last edited by Firefly845; 2024/03/10 at 06:47 PM.