Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: I ordered a Raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by 949BFN View Post
    The tank should have been at least 100l. 120l would be ideal. There seems to be (a very expensive) aftermarket tank available now, but the fuel gauge can't be re-programmed to adjust the distance to empty. That would irk me more than having to refuel often. (On the F150, this is possible, but Ford has removed this ability on the Ranger for some reason.)
    Is this the Brown Davis tank?

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Is this the Brown Davis tank?
    Yes, that is the only one I could find when I last investigated a bigger tank. (About 2 months ago.)
    2023 Ranger Raptor
    (Previously 2019 Amarok 3.0l )
    2021 Audi Q7

Yes, that is the only one I could find when I last investigated a bigger tank. (About 2 months ago.)
    So the guage would work correctly? Only the distance to empty is a problem?

So the guage would work correctly? Only the distance to empty is a problem?
    I am not 100% sure, but my understanding is the gauge's indication is also unreliable with the aftermarket tank.
    2023 Ranger Raptor
    2021 Audi Q7

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    Kom vertel vir almal van jou GD 2.8 Hilux op 'n Raptor thread.

Lekker man.
    I test drove a Raptor to share my honest experience of changing brands from Toyota to Ford and what the Raptor is like as a daily driver
    Above from OP - It is fair game to comment on my experience considering the OP mention his move from one brand to another.

I was at ford last week looking at ordering a new Raptor, I was offered the option of dealer fitted extra tank. Is this the tank the Ford dealers are fitting? The tank size and range is my only concern.

Currently Ford does not have a long range tank for petrol, only diesel.
    Unfortunately it would seem that the computer on the Raptor can not be changed to accommodate a long range fuel tank.
    Have been following Raptor owners on YouTube in Aus and they all have this issue.

Quick update, did a quick trip to town and back. The space inside is comparable to a 150 Prado and bigger than a 300. I have more leg room in the drivers seat, there is more leg room for the front passenger and two car seats connected to isofix with my wife in the middle is more comfortable than in the 300. The 300 and 200 is better materials inside but really not complaining about the Raptor.

I filled up the 1st tank at 5.8km/l worked out on a calculator. Raptor said 6.2km/l. That is what I get on the 79 series.

Gearbox and engine is smoother than the 300. I love driving it and right now if I had to do a trip to Cape Town and back I would choose the Raptor. The seats aren't as comfortable but it gives you a special feeling driving it.

I really hope that it stays reliable because there is so much potential.
    Now why you go and say stuff like that. I have been telling myself for the past year that it's not worth looking at the raptor, it's a D/C bakkie the space in side is less than the prado. Now you come here and say it comparable.

Your fuel consumption is much better than what I get on my 4L V6 prado, which is impressive actually given the size of the bakkie & the addictive loud pedal noises it makes.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by souti View Post
    Now why you go and say stuff like that. I have been telling myself for the past year that it's not worth looking at the raptor, it's a D/C bakkie the space in side is less than the prado. Now you come here and say it comparable.

Your fuel consumption is much better than what I get on my 4L V6 prado, which is impressive actually given the size of the bakkie & the addictive loud pedal noises it makes.
    Yup, I'm surprised too. It's really better than I hoped it to be.

If you drive it hard, it uses a lot of fuel but it can be tamed with an easy right foot. The V6 Prado is more or less the same.

I spend a lot of time at the fuel station because of the silly 80l tank. I have acquired a 2500l petrol bowser to keep on the farm.

My only stress is, considering Ford's reputation is reliability. If this vehicle can get to 100000km mostly trouble free, it'll be an amazing vehicle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

Fantastic explanation of the Raptor's suspension setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYJLKjHN8w&t=665s

This guy has been posting a great series of videos from a new owner's perspective: https://www.youtube.com/@flaberdoopin
    2023 Ranger Raptor
    2021 Audi Q7

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 949BFN For This Useful Post:

GH

Some things that I find a little annoying but it's really small stuff.

The 360 camera doesn't come on when the vehicle comes below a certain speed unless the parking sensors sense something nearby.

The bin liner is really slippery and smooth. I loaded two chainsaws, 8 loader bucket teeth and 2x 20l cans of degreaser to bring from town the other day, it was carnage in the back. Everything slide around.

The fog lights have to be turned on physically each time the headlights come on.

Ridiculously small fuel tank.

The engine stop start that always comes on after a restart. It has to be turned off each time.

Other then that, it's all awesome.
    Last edited by GH; 2024/04/18 at 04:06 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

I can also now add something to this thread. Seems range anxiety is real with this Raptor. Next to me at the filling station was a Raptor owner asking to fill up the tank, and then dragged out a 5l plastic jerry can from under his roller shutter to fill up as well

Of I could, I really would not mind one. Awesome machine.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Some things that I find a little annoying but it's really small stuff.

The 360 camera doesn't come on when the vehicle comes below a certain speed unless the parking sensors sense something nearby.

The bin liner is really slippery and smooth. I loaded two chainsaws, 8 loader bucket teeth and 2x 20l cans of degreaser to bring from town the other day, it was carnage in the back. Everything slide around.

The fog lights have to be turned on physically each time the headlights come on.

Ridiculously small fuel tank.

The engine stop start that always comes on after a restart. It has to be turned off each time.

Other then that, it's all awesome.
    Same small issues on my Amarok, apart from the fogs as I don't use them.

Bin liner - I ripped it out after the first camping trip and rubberized
    Stop/Start - developed the habbit of turning it off. Kind of like putting on the seatbelt.

I am also exploring a larger tank. Range is really awful, especially when towing. I need to be able to do at least 800km
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

Why do you need fog lights on for everyday use? Misty or rain conditions, push button- lights on. Turn off car fog lights off. This is correct operation. Clear conditions no issue. I come to jhb and see these chops driving full time with front and rear fogs on in bright sun and at night. The rear one’s especially are bright, but it looks cool. One of my pet hates. Plus it’s illegal to use these unless conditions dictate. My service manager got a fine at Rivonia road for this a few weeks ago. They wanted a bribe but he took the fine instead, R500. He is from PE and didn’t know it was illegal, says it makes him more visible…how is a 2ton car not visible 😀
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2024/04/18 at 08:45 AM.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

I saw my first Raptor yesterday, they look brilliant. This would be my first choice bakkie.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Why do you need fog lights on for everyday use? Misty or rain conditions, push button- lights on. Turn off car fog lights off. This is correct operation. Clear conditions no issue. I come to jhb and see these chops driving full time with front and rear fogs on in bright sun and at night. The rear one’s especially are bright, but it looks cool. One of my pet hates. Plus it’s illegal to use these unless conditions dictate. My service manager got a fine at Rivonia road for this a few weeks ago. They wanted a bribe but he took the fine instead, R500. He is from PE and didn’t know it was illegal, says it makes him more visible…how is a 2ton car not visible 😀
    Up here we have very poor road marking, and seeing the edge of the road is imperative. The fog lights' spread is low and wide, thus helping to see the edge.
    I use the front ones only
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2024/04/18 at 08:50 AM.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Same for me as what Hedgehog said. I don't use it during the day but at night, the more lights the better on the farm and roads in our area. It's not to look cool, it's to see as much a possible. You should come drive the roads in our area at night. You'll understand. I don't use the back one but on a Toyota, the switch stays on and fog lights come on with main headlights.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Same small issues on my Amarok, apart from the fogs as I don't use them.

Bin liner - I ripped it out after the first camping trip and rubberized
    Stop/Start - developed the habbit of turning it off. Kind of like putting on the seatbelt.

I am also exploring a larger tank. Range is really awful, especially when towing. I need to be able to do at least 800km
    The Raptor has the R button on the stearing wheel which you can double tap to restore to custom setting. Sometimes I forget. If I stop in a parking the engine shuts down but if I engage park, the engine starts again, then I have to shut it down again. That annoys me.

The Raptor has the R button on the stearing wheel which you can double tap to restore to custom setting. Sometimes I forget. If I stop in a parking the engine shuts down but if I engage park, the engine starts again, then I have to shut it down again. That annoys me.
    If it annoys you enough to throw money at the problem, you may want to consider this solution: https://raranger.com.au/products/for...top-eliminator

I ordered the remote start key from these guys. It works great, and I received it within a week. (Make sure you don't select the free delivery option. It will end up in the hands of the SA Post Office and I don't need to say more.)
    2023 Ranger Raptor
    2021 Audi Q7

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Up here we have very poor road marking, and seeing the edge of the road is imperative. The fog lights' spread is low and wide, thus helping to see the edge.
    I use the front ones only
    Yip, Im not talking about the rural guys but the city folk...
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast