Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using Brickettes in a Pizza / Wood Fired oven

A query came up regarding how to keep a constant heat as close as possible for slow cooking and smoking. Some ideas were mentioned and one was using a Webber Kettle Braai basket loaded with Brickettes. I gave this some thought, and the following is the direction I am taking. I will give feedback on my findings, once I have successfully slow cooked at a fairly even temperature. This should be good for overnight Ham Hocks, Briskets and short rib or even Chicken or a lamb leg roast or lamb shanks.

I made 2 basket type holders from a drum I had. Its galvanized so I had to wash of the nickel with acid then burn it before constructing the basket holder. I have designed it so that I have the following options.
    • Make half size fire in W/F oven - This is to initially heat up the oven for slow cooking. Push coals aside and add two basket holders primed with Brickettes. Light brickettes from each edge so you get a slow long burn (Webber Snake Method)
      or
    • Make half size fire in W/F oven - This is to initially heat up the oven for slow cooking. Instead of pushing coals aside, fill basket holder with one layer of coals, stack brickettes on top and they will start a slow burn. I will be experimenting with both and give you feed back.

Please note these basket holders can be move closer to or further away from the meat. they are curved nearly matching oven curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Holder design.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	711779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Brickettes in holder.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	336.8 KB 
ID:	711780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Oven with brickettes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	711781  
    Last edited by MikevR; 2024/01/30 at 04:13 PM.
    Regards

MikevR

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post: