Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Hansie's solar challenges en journey.

Hansie, I think you need to establish whether your batteries are all in good condition. If you can get readings on the cell level and see if they are balanced when the battery reflects 100% soc then you can tick that box. It may require someone with knowledge and software to test them with communication to the bms.

Then you need to be able to accurately measure your current draw from the batteries and confirm that it correlates with the battery soc

With all your ups and downs I have a sneaky suspicion that battery cells are no longer balanced and the bms may not have time to do the top balancing unless the battery is kept at 100% for a prolonged period ,which could be days and even longer depending on the bms on these batteries.

It is such a rabbit hole, but that is what I would do if I was in your position. Just don’t know how you would go about getting the necessary tools and it would probably require isolating a battery at a time in a controlled environment to test.

I’m no expert, but imbalanced cells can lead to all kinds of false readings from your battery and complicates things even more when an inverter interprets these voltages on a lifepo4 battery.

Quote Originally Posted by bloudraad View Post
    Hansie, I think you need to establish whether your batteries are all in good condition. If you can get readings on the cell level and see if they are balanced when the battery reflects 100% soc then you can tick that box. It may require someone with knowledge and software to test them with communication to the bms.

Then you need to be able to accurately measure your current draw from the batteries and confirm that it correlates with the battery soc

With all your ups and downs I have a sneaky suspicion that battery cells are no longer balanced and the bms may not have time to do the top balancing unless the battery is kept at 100% for a prolonged period ,which could be days and even longer depending on the bms on these batteries.

It is such a rabbit hole, but that is what I would do if I was in your position. Just don’t know how you would go about getting the necessary tools and it would probably require isolating a battery at a time in a controlled environment to test.

I’m no expert, but imbalanced cells can lead to all kinds of false readings from your battery and complicates things even more when an inverter interprets these voltages on a lifepo4 battery.
    Thank you very helpful!

I can work on this. With all my googling I have cone to realise the Nenergy batteries have notoriously bad BMS. Some of the suggestions I've had is to buy a BM S for each battery and then see the improvement.

The suggested BMs is about R 2200 per battery so I can do 4 batteries for R 10k much less than new batteries. So I might do two batteries, spend 5k which might be a waste, but if that works, then I have a cheap solution.

Currently 1 of the 5 batteries are in for testing so hopefully I will have some feedback soon.
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2024/05/11 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Thank you very helpful!

Currently 1 of the 5 batteries are in for testing so hopefully I will have some feedback soon.
    Looks
    Like you are on the right track.
    Out of interest. This gent has been doing some testing and I find his Chanel rather informative.

Most of my ‘knowledge’ with regards to this subject is really just information shared online and I believe true knowledges requires understanding, which I realise I struggle with when turning over something as basic as plug and figuring which is live and which is neutral.

Anyway, a link to his Chanel with some interesting tests on Bms’s

https://m.youtube.com/@OffGridGarageAustralia

Changing BMS will void warranty, are there any warranties on the batteries left?

New BMS might also show up one or two bad cells, are new cells available for those batteries should you need to replace? Might be worthwhile to do some more research or those specific batteries?

But yeah, worst case make 4 out of the 5?

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    Changing BMS will void warranty, are there any warranties on the batteries left?

New BMS might also show up one or two bad cells, are new cells available for those batteries should you need to replace? Might be worthwhile to do some more research or those specific batteries?

But yeah, worst case make 4 out of the 5?
    No warranties yes cells are available.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bloudraad View Post
    Looks
    Like you are on the right track.
    Out of interest. This gent has been doing some testing and I find his Chanel rather informative.

Most of my ‘knowledge’ with regards to this subject is really just information shared online and I believe true knowledges requires understanding, which I realise I struggle with when turning over something as basic as plug and figuring which is live and which is neutral.

Anyway, a link to his Chanel with some interesting tests on Bms’s

https://m.youtube.com/@OffGridGarageAustralia
    Will check it!

Will check it!
    Some information from an installer after he had an Nenergy lithium fail after 6 months.

The BMS was fried. The battery would not charge higher than 70% SOC. The actual cells used had stickers on from the source that provided the cells. These cells had stickers on that indicated the capacity of the cells were 71Ah. Now this complete battery is sold as a 100Ah capacity.

Further 2 of the cells were bulged and needed replacement. As the case and construction was good he opted to insert 2 new cells and the very popular JK BMS which one can see each cell voltage on the phone APP via Bluetooth. Also charge/discharge current.

Here is an example of one of my DIY batteries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240512_122024.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	722017  

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Some information from an installer after he had an Nenergy lithium fail after 6 months.

The BMS was fried. The battery would not charge higher than 70% SOC. The actual cells used had stickers on from the source that provided the cells. These cells had stickers on that indicated the capacity of the cells were 71Ah. Now this complete battery is sold as a 100Ah capacity.

Further 2 of the cells were bulged and needed replacement. As the case and construction was good he opted to insert 2 new cells and the very popular JK BMS which one can see each cell voltage on the phone APP via Bluetooth. Also charge/discharge current.

Here is an example of one of my DIY batteries.
    This is repeated all over the internet. Yes the KK is exactly what I want to install.

En toe, was daar doodse stilte

Big problem with 90% of newer and especially cheap battery packs.

There are no removable interconnection cables between cells.

Links between cells are laser welded bus bars.

Replacing a cell requires an angle grinder, a welder, great skill and big balls.

Name:	IMG_8362.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	428.7 KB 
ID:	722257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8363.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	722258  
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2024/05/14 at 09:05 PM.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Seeing all these cheaper batteries gets one to think perhaps it's still a good call at times to go DIY with a good BMS knowing your supplier and their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    En toe, was daar doodse stilte
    I got quiet for a few reasons.

1 No loadshedding so everything works. Consumption is still to high.

2 I need to install Solar assist so that I can get data of what is happening.

3 I know batteries are not working as supposed to so until I have a plan there is not much anyone can do.

4 I'm getting quotes on battery refurbishment. There is a local person that fixes the BMS and replaces dead cells for about R 5k- R 6k per battery or about 1 3rd of the price of new. The cells are screwed in so can be replaced. If I am fixing 5 batteries this is R 20k to R 30k and this includes fixing the famous P6 problem. Or I need to spend R 80k on new batteries and then never have a problem again. All of this is irrelevant right now because I don't have that kind of moola.

I'm hoping for cheaper quotes on battery repair.

Herman has reached out. Dankie Herman, but system optimisation will have to follow battery repair/ replacement.

5 Lastly I think everybody is gatvol of my moaning and struggles.

OK new chapter starting.

I evantually have Solar assist running on the Kodak inverter.

Now I'm letting it run to gather some info and will then return here with data for analysis.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Well done. Now you can see what is going on and control it properly.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

First bit of info off a screen attached to the pi.

SA says battery 68%
    Battery says 98%

Name:	20240517_181324.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	722473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240517_181357.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	722474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240517_181431.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	722475  

Do you have a cable from the PI to the battery, or is SA working off voltages and reported values?

SA says battery 68%
    Battery says 98%
    It might not be accurate, but on the Hubble when the battery is at 49.7v the SOC is about 80%.

It might not be accurate, but on the Hubble when the battery is at 49.7v the SOC is about 80%.
    Jip.

BMS SOC, unless cells are perfectly in balance, is useless.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    erm nope, not on a decent BMS. Like Pace and JK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

It will have correct SOC even if the cells are seriously unbalanced. Primarily because it uses coulomb counting and not voltages.
    I seen it, lived it, lost a bank because of problem cells that could not be balanced with mA balancer of BMS'es. Hence I saw first hand the SOC issue. I even run a Smartshunt, then one can see the differences even better. BMS and Smarshunt, in my case, must be more or less in sync.

Smartshunt will show low SOC, BMS high SOC, when cells charge and the voltages shoot out, the SOC based on volts.

Just be aware. Happens with ALL the brands, high end ones too.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2024/05/18 at 08:29 AM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Do you have a cable from the PI to the battery, or is SA working off voltages and reported values?
    No cable to the battery.

Looking at those screen shots there is a lot going on and something not correctly configured.

If you PM me your SA Login and password details I can login and do a proper assessment.

I promise not to fiddle without your permission, and you can change your login details at any time to deny me access.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast