Default New cut-line route Sekoma to Mabua

Willem Grobbler reported that the old cut line route to Mabuashuhebe has been closed, but I thought it might be useful to open a new thread with a new route, which as far as I can see hasnt been reported.
    I just came back from Mabua along the cut line. At about 28k from the tar (according to my Garmin route planned on T4A) there is a new track cut through the bush skirting the farms to the north. The farm people only blocked the old track about 5km from there so I had to back-track! There is no signage. The new track has just scraped the grass and bushes off leaving brown soil so it might be difficult in wet weather. The new track first goes north then east then south east before meeting N and E cut lines which intersect at 90deg, the track coming in in the SE direction (at S24.85349, E23.06137). Taking the east cut line you come after a few k's to the A20 tar road at S24.85334 E23.26762 -a point 50m north of the roadsign saying Khakhea 30km (this is on the west side of the road facing away from you). There is a closed but unlocked gate there, but absolutely no sign saying Mabua. Coming towards the tar there was a large signboard about 100m before the gate announcing 'the end of the DWNP conservancy', so I imagine that this is an official route and probably wont be closed.
    So you can reverse the route to get to Mabua
    Incidently I can now answer my own question I asked on on Busboy's thread, about bush camping on the cutline. Yes the cut line is about 18m wide so there is plenty of room to stop - but I didnt actually do it.

dfk Guest

NTY

How sure are u about your coordinates? I am battling to find them on my t4a in the vicinity you indicated. Help

dfk

Are u using the standard T4A format "hddd.ddddd"? On Mapsource, check your settings under Edit, Preferences, Position - change the "Grid" units.

nty

Do you have the waypoints where you turned off the cutline and your other "turning points...

Or you could send me your track log PM, please.

Cheers
    Christo

T4A is not up to date on this (I think I have the latest version).
    I have now had a look at Google Earth, and you can confirm the two grid references I gave - you can see the cut lines I mentioned. The distance from the 90deg cutline intersection to the A20 reads off as 21.2km. But the newly cleared track is not visible (perhaps too narrow or done since last Earth update). Looking at the 'old' route, I think one can just discern the point at which the turn off to the North occurs as S24.922 E22.9618. This is pretty muh 28km short of the old route to the A20 as mentioned. At this point the fully graded cut line has been left to degenerate (I guess the private 'farms area' has been extended). I estimate (didnt measure) that the new route adds 12km to the 'T4A' route, but meets the tar 9km nearer Khakhea.
    Sorry - I have a Nuuvi200 and dont know if it records track log.
    Hope this is of use
    Neville

Neville, do I understand you correct?

The yellow placemarks are the two coordinates in your above posts. Red line is the cutline visible on GoogleEarth (but not on T4A) and the blue line (I used a straight line to connect the two points) the "scraped the grass and bushes off leaving brown soil" track mentioned in your first post. (not on GE nor T4A).

The orange line is the existing (old) T4A track.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KobusDJ; 2009/07/02 at 11:27 AM.
    Kobus

Yes, more or less. The blue line should actually go North from the old cutline, then East then South East, but there is no alternative so thats not important (follows the farm fencing). If you have done this route, you will know the point at which they have stopped grading the 'old' cut line - looks as though that was a year or three ago.
    Neville

Thanks for the update... Plan to do this on Sunday so will be able to give feedback upon return...

Dear Neville,

Is it possible for you to email me the portion of your track-log (or full one if easier) of the track from Mabua gate to S24.85334 E23.26762 ?

My email address is hennie.rautenbach[at]gmail.com

Regards