Default Homemade sausages

I'm getting onto a sort of a roll with smoking meat. I've been doing it occasionally for years. Then I had a Rueben sandwich at Kleinsky's Deli in Sea Point. Perhaps I need to digress a little about their cheesecake as well. It's the best I've had in a long time, and reminiscent of the one Manfred Mann's mother used to make, but that's another story.

The sandwich sent me on a quest for good pastrami once I got home to Pretoria. This was less than successful. I think I know why, but knowing why doesn't solve the problem. So, I set out to make my own. A quick course at the University of Google got me going with a few ideas, which I should probably write down and share some time, and I think I have a reliable recipe, which is less work than it sounds. The TLR version is cure, coat in spices (including juniper), smoke, steam (cheating by wrapping in foil), enjoy.

This has inspired me to move on to sausages. I smoked a bit of wors from my local butcher the other day. I thought it was great. My wife said it was volksvreemd, but didn't object to it. But, the next thing to master has clearly got to be sausages. For this, I'm going to need a mincer with a sausage stuffing attachment or a mincer and a sausage stuffer. Are there any recommendations for these tools? What works, what doesn't, and what will inspire me and then lead to dissapointment?
    '97 Disco Tdi

Default Re: Homemade sausages

A shop that sells catering equipment might be a good idea.
    Kenwood has attachments to perform this but its on the small side, like in home use.
    I grew up with sausage being made with a hand cranked mincer.
    When I started hunting, I used an old Meatmaster bandsaw/ mincer combination. It was very old and I replaced it with a Springbok version. With dry wors being very thin, the back pressure at the funnel is too much, causing the mincer to make a pink pelony-like substance. I then looked for a dedicated sausage filler and purchased a 5 liter one from a shop in Gezina/Pretoria. Its a locally made stainless steel model. If I need to do it over, I would again purchase a dedicated sausage filler from such a catering supply store.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Also look at Trespade - they have a mincer and a sausage filler. Crown national and Freddy Hirch sell it.

Don't go for less than a 5kg filler.

I do my own venison products - sausage, dry wors and kassegrillers with the above tools.

I make my own boerewors, mince, patties, droewors etc.

At Metro in Vermeulen street (don't know what the hell the new people are calling it) and I think they have a branch in the east and Solomons in Pta North you get very robust Chinese mincers and sausage fillers made from stainless steel.

After my wife's Kenwood Chef started to smoke she bought be the stuff for my next birthday. Many years and hundreds of kg of meat and the Chinese stuff perform effortlessly.

We have I think a #12 mincer and a 7L upright sausage filler. Can mince 120kg of meat an hour.

Kenwood, only if you want to play. Luckily, I could fix hers by pulling out the carbon brushes and give it a soft sanding, but she will not lend it to me again.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2024/01/19 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    I make my own boerewors, mince, patties, droewors etc.

At Metro in Vermeulen street and I think they have a branch in the east, Solomons Pta North you get very robust Chinese mincers and sausage fillers made from stainless steel.

After my wife's Kenwood Chef started to smoke she bought be the stuff for my next birthday. Many years and hundreds of kg of meat and the Chinese stuff perform effortlessly.

We have I think a #12 mincer and a 7L upright sausage filler. Can mince 120klg of meat an hour.
    Exactly how much is "120klg"?

Quote Originally Posted by henkc View Post
    Are there any recommendations for these tools? What works, what doesn't, and what will inspire me and then lead to dissapointment?
    I bought a mincer and sausage press at Inacio Refrigeration in Charlotte Maxeke Street Pta more than 5 years ago. Still working and still happy with their products.

Try not to stuff sausage with a mincer. The secret to great (any) sausage is to keep the meat cool during the process. I do not use water as per the recipes, I use Ice to the same volume when mincing. Also put your mincer (grinder parts) in a refrigerator the knight before you grind the meat and ice.

No sausage tastes as good as the one you made yourself.

Nazdrovia
    Whether you are a lion or gazelle, in order to survive, you better run like hell.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazdrobia For This Useful Post:

Some years ago I asked the same question.

Ended up buying a Bosh. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...49#post4539249

It works well.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Its like mpl
    Miles per litre

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Yes there clever son, you catched out a typing error. Hope you can brag about it tonight at the braai fire.

Problem on this forum is that you try to give useful information but you sit with people like this guy who must be totally insecure and try to make other people as stupid as his image of himself.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2024/01/19 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henkc View Post
    Then I had a Rueben sandwich at Kleinsky's Deli in Sea Point.
    I love a good Rueben sandwich!

Not to deter you from sausage making adventures, but did you try to find something for your Reuben at the German butchery in Murrayfield? (Just be careful, you will leave there broke.)
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Until you are sure you want to make bigger batches, won't the attachment to your stand mixer work?
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Yes there clever son, you catched out a typing error. Hope you can brag about it tonight at the braai fire.

Problem on this forum is that you try to give useful information but you sit with people like this guy who must be totally insecure and try to make other people as stupid as his image of himself.
    Our Spicy is not a mean guy. I think he just made a little joke.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Another problem is people without a sense of humour.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Thanks @Emmie L and Oom Fluffy. Its actually a joke. I saw he took offence just before I left the office. There wasn't enough time to think about something quirky to answer. Sometimes I need to search in my grey matter for the right english.
    Oom Fluffy, I believe you're a bit anal about spelling and grammar. Do you think we can let the "catched" slide this time?
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2024/01/19 at 08:32 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Thanks @Emmie L and Oom Fluffy. Its actually a joke. I saw he took offence just before I left the office. There wasn't enough time to think about something quirky to answer. Sometimes I need to search in my grey matter for the right english.
    Oom Fluffy, I believe you're a bit anal about spelling and grammar. Do you think we can let the "catched" slide this time?
    Do you mean "caught"
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Jip, he adds Spice to the fred
    Or whats left after the wors

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post: