Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Motorcycle licence needed?

Apologies for the stupid question but I grew up in the time when I needed a 50cc licence.
    Is my car EB licence valid for a motorcycle greater than 125cc?

Default Re: Motorcycle licence needed?

No, you need a Code A license for motorcycle > 125cc

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpiderGear For This Useful Post:

Good day,

Unfortunately not. You will need to do your learners and license again.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Glipsie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlover70 View Post
    Apologies for the stupid question but I grew up in the time when I needed a 50cc licence.
    No you need a motorcycle license.It is a code A

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post
    No, you need a Code A license for motorcycle > 125cc
    So you can ride a scooter under 125cc on an EB licence?

Just for clarity as I have a code A already. I know I could ride a big bike on my code A learners.

With a CODE A You can ride any bike/scooter

No bike or scooter with EB

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AfriqueDS For This Useful Post:

According to the back of my license:

Code A = any motorcycle
    Code A1 = motorcycle <= 125cc

Edited - more correct
    Last edited by Ama-newbie; 2024/01/09 at 01:54 PM.
    Rob Kirk

Old Wheeler

Amarok V6.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    So you can ride a scooter under 125cc on an EB licence?

Just for clarity as I have a code A already. I know I could ride a big bike on my code A learners.
    There is no drivers licence in RSA that allows you ride ANY motorcycle other than the 2 specified for bikes. A1 for 125cc and under and then A for larger than 125cc
    edit, posted at same time as message above.
    Last edited by DouglasN; 2024/01/09 at 01:57 PM.
    Doug Norval
    -------------------------------
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DouglasN For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the clarity and refresher, thatís how I remember it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

So, here's my story. Hopefully it will inspire you to get yours too.

At the age of almost 50, I decided to finally get my code A license on the 4th of January 2024 .

I rode bike since the age of 7, before I could even drive a car. I've had all sorts of bikes but the bike I married was my first love since 1995 when I learnt about the Paris Dakar, the Honda Africa Twin. I bought my Africa Twin in 2000 and had it until 2021.

With all the bribery and corruption, we had in the past two decades with traffic departments and driving schools where you had to bribe your way through and not to mention how difficult it was to get a booking, I chose the path of least resistance and just acquired a learners license every 2 years to be legal on the road. Sometimes, I would go a few months without renewing my learners. That said, I never failed a learners test, ever.

I've been on all sorts of overlanding adventures through Southern Africa, crossed borders into Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zim, Namibia etc. without any issues

As previously mentioned, I sold my beloved Africa Twin in 2021 with the idea of retiring from biking but I was fooling myself I guess because a new Africa Twin was always on the back burner of my mind.

In September I pulled that trigger and bought me a CRF1000 and promised myself that this time round, I'm getting it done. It took me since that time until December to find an online booking, confirmed and went for the test and got it.

I figured, that seeming I'm getting older I need to get it done while I still can. I'm also looking to buy a 2nd bike to my stable now, a Honda NC750x

PS: BTW, in South Africa, you only need a license for insurance purposes if you need

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray v.Beveren For This Useful Post:

I was looking for some info about first time bike insurance and found this thread. Can anyone who has been in a similar situation recently offer some advice please.

I'm late 40's and looking to do my LONG overdue motorcycle learner's. I don't have a bike yet, but just trying to gather some information on a ballpark figure of what annual insurance would be for a 500/650cc parallel twin ADV motorcycle of somebody my age who has never owned a bike before. I've been a mountain biker all my life, so this somewhat translates. I'd be getting insurance, initially, with only a learner's licence. Bike would live in an access-controlled complex, but outside.

Just doing an exercise on whether it's worth selling my smaller city car and going the bike route, or would I end up paying more for the bike per year, considering insurance, maintenance, consumables like tyres etc etc. I'm comfortable servicing most stuff on the bike bar the engine. The bike would probably see ~5000kms per year, mostly road, some fire paths or light off-road. My car has seen about the same mileage the last few years.

I know these questions are a bit like "how long is a piece of string", but any feedback welcomed.

TIA
    Last edited by Ted76; 2024/01/13 at 02:07 PM.

My perspective, I've owned bikes, normally 2 at a time since my 50 days as a sixteen year old.
    Except for the 50cc which my parents co paid , all my other bikes were cash bought and never insured.
    Zilch, zero coverage!

My last and only accident worthy of insurance was ironically the 50cc which was written off, along with a large portion of my skin!

I'm gambling, but the fortune I have saved has kept me on bikes and luckily never had one stolen either.

I am fully licensed since 16/18 as required.

Just a thought

Sent from my Nokia C1 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    but the fortune I have saved has kept me on bikes and luckily never had one stolen either.

Thanks. Yeah, insurance is, dare I say a con much of the time, necessary when you need it obviously, but the amount of money insurance companies must make from people that never need to claim... whether life, house, contents, or motor insurance, it's all about the fear of something happening, so most people choose the safe option. Oftentimes it's far more cost effective to swallow the hopefully occasional spend on an unfortunate incident rather than paying a few grand per month on insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted76 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, insurance is, dare I say a con much of the time, necessary when you need it obviously, but the amount of money insurance companies must make from people that never need to claim... whether life, house, contents, or motor insurance, it's all about the fear of something happening, so most people choose the safe option. Oftentimes it's far more cost effective to swallow the hopefully occasional spend on an unfortunate incident rather than paying a few grand per month on insurance.
    Bike theft is sadly very common in SA, so total loss is a bit different. Grudge purchase, but so be it.
    ZS6VL

This was just the motivation i needed to get it done and over with.
    Had bike learners numerous times - but never made it to the drive test due to work or some other crap.
    Now that i have my outoppie scooter - might be a good idea to get legal ....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 15.28.08.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	710165
    Net n hond sit vas - Johan Badenhorst
    As jy van die liedjie hou skree Riekie Louw !

I to, like many other babyboomers rode motorcycles from an early age offroad and later onroad without a proper licence. I now know that it was the stupidity and belief that we have when young that nothing would go wrong-and it didn't-for me. For a friend, not so good. He rode into the side of a car and caused serious injury to a person as well as writing off the car, injuring himself so that he could not work for nearly 2 years. He was charged with negligent driving with the additional charge of driving without a licence. His insurance (which he had been paying for years) walked away from him, his children had to leave their school for something much cheaper and he became unemployed. The injured person then sued him for damages and he had to sell his house to pay only part of the claim. His family has suffered hugely for a very long time and continues to do so 15 years on. Please do the right thing and make sure you have the proper licence and insurance cover. Or ride a bicycle-no licence needed.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    There is no drivers licence in RSA that allows you ride ANY motorcycle other than the 2 specified for bikes. A1 for 125cc and under and then A for larger than 125cc
    edit, posted at same time as message above.
    I would question this: The icon A clearly indicates a motorcycle, without any qualification. The icon A1 indicates less than or equal to 125cc. To me "A" then indicates any motorcycle.

See below extract from Motorcycle Safety Institute https://www.msi.org.za/questions-abo...-license-test/ (although I've never before seen any reference to automatic scooters)

Q5: Can I do my K53 Motorcycle Test on a Scooter?

A5: If you do the K53 Motorcycle Test on a Scooter youíll be licensed to ride a Scooter (automatic transmission) only. If you are older than 18, do your test on a geared motorcycle with engine capacity bigger than 125cc (150cc and up), and youíll be licensed to ride anything (Code A License). If you are 16 or 17, you may only do your test on a 125cc motorcycle (Code A1) and if you do it on a Scooter the same limitations will apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlover70 View Post

Iíve been riding motorbikes for 45 yrs, I too got my A1 licence in the early 80ís. Since then i have bought and rode numerous bikes from scramblers to Honda goldwings and never had a licence for the bigger bikes.

if you want a plan to avoid the licence go to your nearest AA branch and get an international drivers licence, when they stamp your licence they automatically stamp it for a motor bike of any capacity.

Ive done this for years and been stopped by the cops numerous times and never had a problem, simply showed them my international licence and been on my way quickly, I donít think most cops even know how to read them.

that said I did get my A licence last year November, I booked for the learners on line and the licence on line both at kempton park testing station, I passed both first time

my advice would be to go and do it, the whole process was easy and was surprisingly efficient

Quote Originally Posted by Vijaygza View Post
    I would question this: The icon A clearly indicates a motorcycle, without any qualification. The icon A1 indicates less than or equal to 125cc. To me "A" then indicates any motorcycle.

See below extract from Motorcycle Safety Institute https://www.msi.org.za/questions-abo...-license-test/ (although I've never before seen any reference to automatic scooters)

Q5: Can I do my K53 Motorcycle Test on a Scooter?

A5: If you do the K53 Motorcycle Test on a Scooter youíll be licensed to ride a Scooter (automatic transmission) only. If you are older than 18, do your test on a geared motorcycle with engine capacity bigger than 125cc (150cc and up), and youíll be licensed to ride anything (Code A License). If you are 16 or 17, you may only do your test on a 125cc motorcycle (Code A1) and if you do it on a Scooter the same limitations will apply.
    The way I understand it is "motorcycle" refers to any 2 wheeled road going vehicle, be it a step through moped or a superbike, the only qualification is engine size greater than 125 or 125 and less.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast