Default Buying a Mahindra bakkie second hand

Hi all,

i'm new in this section and i'm looking at buying a secondhand bakkie with about 100,000Km on the clock. The bakkie is a 2021 model S10.

What do i need to look for before buying the bakkie?

Default Re: Buying a Mahindra bakkie second hand

I don't know much but here is my input.

S10 is the 2.2 diesel?

Last year this time I bought a Mahindra W6 2.2 diesel, MHawk

1. It must be a good buy for you, price wise. There is nothing like a bad buy if the price is right.

2. They are good, plenty power and torque.

3. Fuel consumption is good.

4. Spares can be a problem and expensive from dealers. On mine the alternator mounting point broke due a the alternator bolt being stripped by the previous mechanic and it fell out, so not the vehicles fault. Problem is the mounting point is also the timing cover. Agents wanted 12k for the cover and said 8-12 weeks to get IF they can get one. I removed the cover, it's a job, and welded it for R500

5. Motor is pretty simple to work on, nothing special there. And once you have matched up GUD/Fram filter numbers it is pretty cheap to service and maintain. I found that not many places has info on Mahindra filters and parts and just say that they can't help. If you keep searching all parts can be matched up. Like belt and tensioner, agents wanted something like 6k, I matched the size to a standard belt and tensioner was also available. Bearings I knocked out and if I recall it was normal 620... bearings, same as Toyota. Replaced them for like R80 each.

6. Clutch is a dual mass thing, about 30k to replace.

They are good vehicles for their price. You must just be prepared to work on the short comings of spares ext.

If the price is good, go for it!

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Default Re: Buying a Mahindra bakkie second hand

thx for the input.

I'll leave the deal for know. If you buy new I suppose Mahindra makes sense however buying second hand they're not that cheap